Not liking this at all... thoughts??

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
So last July when I sucked a rock into my heat exchanger and had to get it replaced I noticed this oil on the engine.

20130719_123540_zpsywyssd5o.jpg

I wasn't happy but I cleaned it off with the thought that if it comes back I'll take a closer look(denial, I know). The last thing I wanted was the front of my engine to get taken apart. Fast forward to the other day and for the first time since I cleaned the oil last July, it's back :(

20140427_084926_zpsmx7m6gdq.jpg

I got a lot closer and saw this -

20140427_085037_zpse9g0kxfy.jpg

WTF is that? So I got as close as I could -

20140427_085025_zps7pnmm4ut.jpg

I'm not liking that at all. I'm pretty glad I'm stock other than resonator delete and air filter.. all my suspension stuff they've already seen at Ford. Thoughts? Advice on how I should approach this?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Take it to the dealer. They'll fix it. Seems like a very very small and very very slow gasket leak. Hand assembled motor- unfortunately it happens every once on a while

Bllit11

Established Member
take it to the dealer it looks like a bad casting i believe they call it a sand pit i had the same thing happen on another vehicle.they will fix it

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I'm for sure not butt hurt about it. It looks like maybe 5 drips of oil or so, but I am worried about it long term. I'll take it by and see what they say. I hate thinking somebody is going to have to put their hands in there for not a whole lot of reason. Kinda the same reason I haven't done gears, don't want to add the possibility of problems.

grandfunk

Established Member
Just from the pictures it doesn't look like it is coming from a sealing surface so I would guess it is leaching out of the metal due to bad casting.
If it is a bad casting the whole front cover will need to be replaced, which would obviously be quite a bit more involved then resealing just a valve cover gasket.
Long term I have no idea if it could worsen or how bad it could get but that would help to know in deciding to replace it or not. Maybe see what Ford says then decide?

03outlaw

Established Member
That sucks, but pretty sure that is a bad casting. I had the same issue with my rear diff cover, I had a thread on it about 8 months to a year ago. Mine would seep sometimes and then sometimes not, I went through the denial stage as well. I first noticed mine after I had the car about two months and 200 miles. Naturally with all the talk about diff leaks I thought I was also one of the unlucky few, but turns out after I pulled the cover it was a bad casting and it was right around one of the dead end holes like yours. Ford warranted the part, I changed it. However, with yours, I'd let them do it with frequent visits...

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
Definitely have it documented by dealer, then see what they recommend and go from there.

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you don't want to replace the front cover due to a porous casting and this is the only problem area, I would clean the area with brake cleaner and then work some clear paint into the affected area and then wipe off the excess paint with lacquer thinner. The object is to seal (plug) the open pores.

railroad

Established Member
I am with Snoop on this. I might consider something like Sharkhide or Nanoseal, instead of clear paint. Let us know what you find and do. Thanks,

mullens

Established Member
I'll follow the OP's lead on this one. Have the same problem. Feels like soot... very grainy.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Nanoseal, who would have thought that it would work on metal?

Attachments

• serious-skincare-nanoseal-collagen-treatment-d-2010040120531725~950761.jpg
    serious-skincare-nanoseal-collagen-treatment-d-2010040120531725~950761.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,273

Snoopy49

Established Member
Clean up the area with paint thinner and blow dry, the take a piece of toilet paper and press and hold it in the affected area. With any luck it will wick some of the oil up and help indicate the exact problem spot. It looks like you would have access to the backside of the cover if you removed the valve cover. A little soapy water brushed onto the outside and air pressure applied to the backside should show you the extent of the problem. Luckily it is not exposed to high pressure and is not near any hold-down fittings that may have cause a crack in the casting.

Make sure you get with the dealer like the other members have suggested and get it documented. Do to the small easily accessed area affected, I would be hesitant to expose myself to all the potential problems that may arise after having the entire front cover replaced.

In the end, it is your decision. Good luck

This is a picture of a 2011 cover to show you the big picture with a little one.

Attachments

• 2012 GT500 Timing Chain Cover.jpg
    2012 GT500 Timing Chain Cover.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,249

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Make sure you get with the dealer like the other members have suggested and get it documented. Do to the small easily accessed area affected, I would be hesitant to expose myself to all the potential problems that may arise after having the entire front cover replaced.

I'm going to start where every one suggested and take it to the dealer and at a minimum have it documented and see what they say. I think the whole denial thing started with realizing the whole front cover would have to come off to be replaced and I would really like to avoid that if possible. I'll look at the other stuff suggested and see if that will get the job done in my case. I could do that, have it documented, and if down the road it gets real bad maybe I'll have the option of a warranty replacement.

1971mach1

Established Member
I have same problem at the same spot just to the left of so its going down left of rib. At 5300 miles it is about 2 inches long. I have been reluctant to address it but now I will. Thanks OP for the thread. I noticed it at about 1000 miles. My car was built second week of may 2012

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Casting issue. See the dealer and get it fixed. If it needs replacing express your concern with the manager and let him know you appreciate him fixing the car and impress on him you want a sharp, experienced mechanic doing the job. I wouldn't want to deal with it after warranty expires.

Tom

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
I'm for sure not butt hurt about it. It looks like maybe 5 drips of oil or so, but I am worried about it long term. I'll take it by and see what they say. I hate thinking somebody is going to have to put their hands in there for not a whole lot of reason. Kinda the same reason I haven't done gears, don't want to add the possibility of problems.

MovingZen,

Let me assist you with this. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

ArabianOak

Established Member
MovingZen,

Let me assist you with this. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

Wow! Didn't realize ford reps were on this forum to assist us!

Don't be keeping track of our mods now Miss Ashley.

Users who are viewing this thread