Off topic threads

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Doc sells guns like I sell Mustangs! ;-)
I remember your 00R at Autobahn race. You killed Brian?

I remember your FR500R at Road Atlanta when you killed us vintage guys with your lap times on your first try.

Gun stuff:
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You'd better run, better run, outrun my gun
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet.

It's called a Colt and shouldn't be ignored:
01991ee.jpg

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
It was the best Daytona 500 that I have seen in a long time. The race Saturday was good (Infinity?). Jack Roush has finally found a few good drivers.

Congrats to Joey Lagano and Roger Penske for killing the Rick Hendrick cars!

Lagano2.gif

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Bruce,
I agree. Jack Roush has some good talent going forward.

Ryan Reed won the race Saturday. He is barely older than my slow 1995 Cobra R. :)

R.Reed.gif

flattrack53

Established Member
So Doc are you ready to get off of any of those toys locked up in the safe?

I went to the gun store tonight and one of the guys had an old SVT40 rifle. Those are pretty darn cool in person.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
So Doc are you ready to get off of any of those toys locked up in the safe?.

I actually tend to keep mine a long time. If I find a particular revolver in better condition, I'll buy it and sell the older one. I have stuff older than you. :-D

I did sell some extra parts (extra holsters, stocks, boxes, etc.) recently. Wow, the market is different now than before (BO, before Obama). I'd clean it up, do a good picture, and post it. I sold an old worn-out Colt box (I had traded away the Colt and forgot about the box) for $100. I netted $2430.

I've been working with different waxes and other stuff this winter:
wax.jpg

The Flitz is great stuff. The Ren Wax (under the shotgun shell) is good stuff (made in England). I also have a few old coins. It's not good to 'wax' them. Buyers want it completely original. Not so for older firearms; the more shiny, the better. :)

BTW, we are getting a good dusting of snow today. Check it out: :dw:
95Raa.gif

flattrack53

Established Member
CLP and Hoppes 9 are some great products.. I have a few other products that I use as well but those are always in my range bag.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I find it odd that it snows in GA since some are trying to tell us there's global warming? :dw:

I agree. I had to buy one of those kerosene fired heaters just to work on my cars in the (rented spot) warehouse this winter. :dw:

One other thing: SVRA scheduled a vintage race for last weekend at Road Atlanta. It's no secret that I don't like their rules (so I wasn't entered). I know some guys that registered for the event. One drove a big Toter Home in from the southwest. Several Atlanta guys spent Wednesday loading up their trailers to drive up for a Thursday entry into the track.

SVRA sent them an email late Wednesday to say the event was cancelled. :nonono:
A Winter Storm Warning is in effect this for many Eastern States, including Georgia. Due to the threat of more severe winter weather, SVRA had cancelled the Southern Vintage Classic, scheduled for Feb. 20-22 at Road Atlanta. The decision to cancel came after a discussion with Road Atlanta Raceway staff.
http://www.svra.com/news/road-atlanta-cancelled/

The guy from out west was in Nashville having driven all day. One local guy called the track who said they had no clue why it was cancelled. Neither were happy about the decision. The weekend turned out to be a little chilly (for GA) on Friday with a nice day Saturday. The rain came in later on Sunday.

It's road racing. A guy may find a wet track. I think racing in the rain is fun.

Global warming is a scam.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
CLP and Hoppes 9 are some great products.. I have a few other products that I use as well but those are always in my range bag.

Is it true? I just read on another forum that a Maryland guy bought a revolver but had to wait several days before he could actually take it home. :eek: This seems like a direct violation of the Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution?

Are you guys going with gun micro-stamping like CA? ;-)

I have three different kinds of Hoppe's #9. The earlier stuff is a 'powder solvent'. It needs to used with care. The later stuff is a 'gun bore cleaner'. Either one needs removal of it with an gun oil after using it.

I use acetone (WalMart paint Department; $15 gal.) to remove oil, dirt, and other stuff before cleaning powder from bores and barrels.

I bought these two S&W small frame (K-frame) .357 Magnums (all .357's are sized to also fire .38 Special). Front one is a 1961, rear is a 1958 (note the trigger and hammer):
Model19-1and19.jpg

Model19-1and19a.jpg

flattrack53

Established Member
In Maryland, a handgun purchase requires a 7 day waiting period while the state police does a background check on you. On any handgun that isn't considered C&R we have to have a Handgun Qualification License (HQL). To get an HQL, you have to go and get fingerprinted and send your prints into the state police. About 3 weeks later, you will receive a license in the mail. Basically it doesn't do shit other than you just gave a $108 to the state police and put your fingerprints on file... I personally don't care about fingerprints since I have purchased suppressors and machine guns. Speaking of suppressors, I got 3 of them in today.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
To get an HQL, you have to go and get fingerprinted and send your prints into the state police. About 3 weeks later, you will receive a license in the mail.

So, you can buy as many handguns as you want with a HQL and a 7 day jail period for your gun? Can you legally buy a gun from a friend/neighbor without the HQL paperwork?

Do you also have to wait 7 days for your right to freedom of speech (1st Amendment) as provided by the United States Constitution? :-D

I have no problem with fingerprinting. I have a GA carry license and an ATF FFL 03. I have friends that don't care for the prints. Under GA Law (the Castle Law), they don't need one to carry in their home, business, and car. They can buy or trade with other GA guys.

flattrack53

Established Member
So, you can buy as many handguns as you want with a HQL and a 7 day jail period for your gun? Can you legally buy a gun from a friend/neighbor without the HQL paperwork?

No... You have to fill out a designated collector form. It's basically a piece of paper that you sign and it has to be notarized. In about a month you get an approval letter... At that time you can go to the gun store and buy everything inside. If you don't have this designated collector form you can only purchase one handgun everything 30 days or two handguns and wait 60 days.

Do you also have to wait 7 days for your right to freedom of speech (1st Amendment) as provided by the United States Constitution? :-D

I can't answer this question. I am still waiting on approval

I have no problem with fingerprinting. I have a GA carry license and an ATF FFL 03. I have friends that don't care for the prints. Under GA Law (the Castle Law), they don't need one to carry in their home, business, and car. They can buy or trade with other GA guys.

It's pretty much impossible to get a carry permit in Maryland if you are a regular citizen unless you own a business. Here is the crazy think about an FFL 03 in Maryland.... I have one as well... I can order a handgun online and get it shipped my door. If I got to the gun store and buy one in Maryland, I have to wait the 7 day wait but I don't need to use my HQL since it is C&R. If I go outside of Maryland and purchase it from an individual, I can come back across state lines that day. Tell me that isn't screwed up?

I butchered that whole post. I responded to your questions in the quotes.

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Tell me that isn't screwed up?

I understand. The ATF FFL is a federal thing which over rides State law. I'd recommend a FFL 03 to everyone who is on the fence (it's $30 for 3 years, all online).

My buddy, Dickson, has a nice S&W K-22 that he got from his grandfather. His legal home is GA. He stays up in the upstate NY Finger Lakes in summer (we call it East Berlin). He can't take the old K-22 to NY. I can with a FFL 03 and stay at his place.

I'd also like to point out that a small little FFL 03 has the same protections as a big-time dealer:

ATF.jpg

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
There has been a lot of interest in this car:

This 1966 Ford Mustang has been raced in SVRA and HSR series for a decade, a claim backed with a sizable collection of entry stickers on the windshield. Power comes from a cammed, .030 over 289, and suspension has adjustable camber, tie rods and struts. Quick-ratio steering, Brembo discs and an open, 3.50 geared rear end are a few other notable details, and we’re impressed the seller appears to have been racing all this time with a stock seat—those harness straps must have been pretty tight. Find it in East Cobb, Georgia for $19,500 OBO.

Here:
Dick4.gif

It is almost all true. ;-)

The HSR and SVRA tech stickers are correct. The owner tells me that he let the car go with the original log books. I co-drove this car to a podium at Watkins Glen (it had a racing seat).

It was later wrecked at Watkins Glen (not with me driving it). The roller body was sold to a local body shop guy. Someone added the parts as noted.

Nonetheless, it is still hard to find a proper correct vintage race car for less than $19K. This is a fastback vintage race car with logbooks.

flattrack53

Established Member
That is an extremely good deal for that fastback. It's hard to find a clean body fastback for under 30 that is "race worthy".

Users who are viewing this thread