Off topic threads

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Doc:

I've been a little busy the last three weeks. My wife and I just returned from a 3 week European vacation to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We wrapped up the trip with a visit to Nurburg to drive the Nordschleife. Driving that is a car guys dream. Now I understand why Sir Jackie Stewart nicknamed it "The Green Hell". LOL It was a lot of fun to drive but it's non-stop action. Both physically and mentally demanding.

Much like "C" cars, those "P" cars are for passing Doc, not driving! ;-)

What car did you drive on Nurburg? And how many cars did you pass? Im assuming a lot with your wife as nav!

Is your order in for the New R? What color are you getting?:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
What car did you drive on Nurburg? And how many cars did you pass? Im assuming a lot with your wife as nav!

Is your order in for the New R? What color are you getting?:beer:

I drove a track prepped BMW 125i from Rent4Ring:

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/info/rentals-for-the-nordschleife.html#c412

I passed a few cars and got passed by a few as well. Driving the Ring is a lot more physically and mentally demanding than what I was expecting. Track knowledge is huge. It would take approximately 50 laps to get to the point where you could actually anticipate what is coming up next.

My wife didn't ride with and it's a good thing she didn't. I was almost getting to the point of being car sick and I was driving!

I did take my Go-Pro but I had an issue with it. It shut off somewhere on the 4th lap. I think the battery must have lost temporary contact? :( I did manage to catch the first lap which was pretty damn slow. :p

The details on the new R are very sketchy at best. I learn more on-line than what the dealer can tell me. Probably blue because I 'may' sell one of the blue cars I currently have.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been a little busy the last three weeks. My wife and I just returned from a 3 week European vacation to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We wrapped up the trip with a visit to Nurburg to drive the Nordschleife. Driving that is a car guys dream. Now I understand why Sir Jackie Stewart nicknamed it "The Green Hell". LOL It was a lot of fun to drive but it's non-stop action. Both physically and mentally demanding.

Hey Bruce,
You know that I was trying to challenge you guys.

I've been to Nordschleife. My opinion is that it is one notch below Road America in getting a good lap time. Yes, the factory drivers can post a great lap time. Whatever. Heck, if we lived there it would be different.

Road America is still the toughest track on the east coast. It has some hard technical turns mixed in with some "balls of fire" straights. It's also a very friendly place to be.

Nonetheless, the Porsche cars are good. I just hope that my car doesn't lap your car. :-D

Porsche991b.jpg

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Someone asked me lately what I do in retirement? I told them that I do what I want to do every day. "Every day is a Saturday". :-D

I am racing a vintage car in vintage events. I've meet some good friends here.
Mitty2015c.jpg

I am also member of three clubs that collect revolvers (my least expensive hobby). We can go on and on about nothing. :-D

SW28HP.gif

SW27-2X4.gif

----

It looks like that I am a causality of ObamaCare.---**[It didn't happen; I got a replacement policy for 1/2 the price]**

I had an individual policy for health care coverage. It went up 85%.

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
It was a great day on the range today.

My 2010 Colt 1911 Gold Cup Trophy won the prize (a beer). It's here:
GCTe.gif

GCTd.jpg

This pistol is really good. I've always felt finishing up front was almost as important as looking good getting it done. ;-)

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Does anyone collect silver coins/bars? Where and what do you recommend if so?

I accumulate silver coins when the price is right:
silver3.gif

Those are Morgan dollars bought here in GA (no sales tax). I have a local guy that sells at current market bids, and buys at less than current value. I think about 2%-3% less, but I've never sold anything.

You have to find a good source. As you may imagine, the heavily advertised stuff are not good deals.

flattrack53

Established Member
2000 Cobra R 278 was at Hunt Valley Horsepower yesterday. I tried to catch up with the owner but was unsuccessful. PM me if you are the owner. It seems like you are local to the area. Maybe we can meet up one day with both R's at cars and coffee!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I just read the new HSR schedule for 2016. Here:

HSR2016.gif

It is really looking good since they deleted a few and added VIR and Mont-Tremblant. :banana:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
That idiot Kenseth wrecked Ford driver Joey Lagono out of the championship. Kenseth was 10 laps down and just blatantly wrecked him. I have never seen such a poor show of sportsmanship in my entire life.

I threw away all of my old crap with Kenseth's name on it. He should be banned from every racing again.
Kensethsucks.gif

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
That idiot Kenseth wrecked Ford driver Joey Lagono out of the championship. Kenseth was 10 laps down and just blatantly wrecked him. I have never seen such a poor show of sportsmanship in my entire life.

I threw away all of my old crap with Kenseth's name on it. He should be banned from every racing again.

Doc:

I agree 100%. I used to be a Kenseth fan seeing he's a WI kid. When he started driving that Japanese car I lost interest in him. Now this move was totally uncalled for. Nascar has always had some bumping and nudging and a payback or two here and there. No biggie. But this was so damn blatant it was totally uncalled for. A car running in 35th position or where ever the hell he was running, taking out the leader of the race is beyond unsportsmanlike. I don't believe the penalty was enough.

Brian France has pretty much ruined the sport his dad and grandfather built. Watch for even more empty seats in the future.

flattrack53

Established Member
I have only been to two Nascar races since Earnhardt died. I went back to Daytona a year after he passed away and told myself this will be the last race I will ever go to... Than last year I got forced to work in the skybox as a representative for Sunoco. I can honestly say, I did not watch the race as I was more focused on eating the crab cakes. This sport has changed dramatically.

Most of these drivers are a bunch of pansies and the rules have gotten way out of control. I still enjoy watching races from the 80's. Most of these cars came off the track with not one piece of straight sheet metal. They need more Cale fights to happen and bring some entertainment back.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree 100%. I used to be a Kenseth fan seeing he's a WI kid. When he started driving that Japanese car I lost interest in him. Now this move was totally uncalled for.

I agree Bruce.

I think Kenseth has acquired some sort of gang-bang or thug mentality. If you take out the leader as he did, the pay-back can get very serious.

He should just apologize. Otherwise, no one likes this gang-bang type of reaction, and his sponsors will drop him. He is not a good role model for young kids.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I have only been to two Nascar races since Earnhardt died. I went back to Daytona a year after he passed away and told myself this will be the last race I will ever go to...
I have never paid for a ticket for a Nascar race. I DVR it and zap thru the thousands of stupid commercials.

I also like DVRing F-1 and other road racing.

That said, it will still inexcusable what Kenseth did. He could have killed someone. There is never any excuse to do anything like this in any racing event (vintage racing would have thrown him out forever).

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Kenseth thought it would be cool to take out the Ford that had won the last three races and was trying to win a fourth one. Here:

kensethsucks2.gif

It isn't good to do this. A lot of Ford guys are mad.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Brian France has pretty much ruined the sport his dad and grandfather built. Watch for even more empty seats in the future.

Bruce,
I did some more searches, and it seems that James France, age 70 (the son of Bill; and #342 on the Forbes 500 of rich dudes) actually owns the voting shares.

He lets his nephew (Brain) and his niece (Lesa France Kennedy) do their thing. Right or wrong, Nascar is under a rich $8.2B contract from Fox and NBC.

This is interesting since Fox is the fair and balanced network while NBC is as liberal as they come.

I understand that the other Toyota driver's (Hamlin and the other Joe Gibbs's Japanese teams) are going full speed against Ford and the Ford teams.

Hamlin even made a "Free Matt Shirt". You would think that Ford would respond? I guess not?

I guess under Mr. Mark Fields' and his current $6M contract could care less about racing?

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I am still mad about this entire thing.

First: Matt Kenseth in his Toyota car took out the Ford points leader:
Kensethsucks3.gif

Next: The spoiled little rich Toyota guy from WI blames everyone else (including Nascar). Hamlin in another Toyota supports him.

Third: Nascar suspends him for a race or two despite the fact that Kenseth was not in the group that can advance.

I'd say the entire thing is against the very well understood racing thing that no one a lap down (or 16 laps down) can ever take out one of the leaders. You need to slow in the racing line and let the leaders go for a win. It's called the proper Sportsmanship of racing. I've respected this for 25 years.

Please kill me if I ever buy a Toyota.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I am still mad about this entire thing.

First: Matt Kenseth in his Toyota car took out the Ford points leader:

Next: The spoiled little rich Toyota guy from WI blames everyone else (including Nascar). Hamlin in another Toyota supports him.

Third: Nascar suspends him for a race or two despite the fact that Kenseth was not in the group that can advance.

I'd say the entire thing is against the very well understood racing thing that no one a lap down (or 16 laps down) can ever take out one of the leaders. You need to slow in the racing line and let the leaders go for a win. It's called the proper Sportsmanship of racing. I've respected this for 25 years.

Please kill me if I ever buy a Toyota.

Welcome to the WWF. This is why Nascar stands are half empty during a race. Expect an additional drop in fan base in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread