Official Terminator Diecast Thread

prs97

Established Member
Yup. I have one of these on the shelf in my man cave.

Sadly, all of the yellow 1:18 models I have purchased aren't exactly ZY. I think they're closer to SY than ZY. Oh, and don't tell my wife how much I paid for all of them!

Great work on the models Glenn. The attention to detail is awesome.

Came across this on Facebook. Thought it was pretty cool and didn’t even know they existed. Did anyone else know about these?
View attachment 1491226

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03SVT4DWP

Established Member
I don't think it's hard at all, but I have been painting for many years.

Doing it this way (taking it apart) just takes patience as there are obviously a lot of tiny parts. Other than that it will depend on the materials you use and the tools at your disposal.

Meaning; are you going to use rattle can or automotive paint? Once you choose your materials do you have the knowledge of the materials and the tools to use them?

Rattle can is easy, just shake and shoot. Automotive paint is more difficult, but the finished product is even better than the original finish. With automotive paint the materials are expensive. Then you have to "MIX" your materials (normally base coat needs a reducer and clear coat might need an activator and a reducer). Once you mix your materials you have to spray it and then let it "flash" before your next coat. The same holds true for your clear coat.

Also, with rattle can you already have a source of compressed air. With automotive paint you either need an airbrush and mini compressor or you can use a paint gun and air compressor.

I have both an air brush and paint guns. With this project I used my small paint gun and air compressor to apply the automotive base coat and then clear coat.

Lastly, the decals. I have purchased decal paper from eBay. Then I use PowerPoint (PP) to make my decals. I either go online and download images to use or I create them in PP. Then I use a laser jet printer to print my images onto the decal paper.

So, my process goes like this:
  1. Take car apart and bag parts
  2. Chemically strip metal parts
  3. Sand plastic parts
  4. Tape up areas to protect (i.e. plastic window, third brake light, chin spoiler, etc.)
  5. Shoot rattle can primer
  6. Shoot automotive base coat (I normally use Nasson or NAPA because of lower pricing)
  7. Create decals
  8. Apply decals
  9. Shoot automotive clear coat (I normally use House of Kolor because it is durable and shines like crazy)
  10. Fix any imperfections (i.e. minor runs get sanded out and then paint is polished)
  11. Reassemble car
There are a lot of steps involved and depending on the paint and materials you use will determine the expense and outcome of the final product. However, if you're mechanically inclined and you have the right tools it is very doable.

I enjoy doing this as a hobby. It is stress relief and when it's done you have something unique and knowing you created it can be rewarding. Then if someone is willing to buy it that makes it just that much more rewarding.

Great work and thread.. Long time modeler here.. Started with planes and cars back in the 60s, then ships and armor. Still love building armor. Somewhere I have the 1/24th of my first car, Dk Grn 67 GTA fastback that I drove like Frank Bullitt every chance I got in my teens. When I was working at Revell, one of my friends there mixed Testors enamels to paint the body. The trick was baking it and then toothpaste rub n buff..Looked factory. I found a silver Cobra like the one you used for this thread a few weeks back and was planning on repaint to match my RF 03 I just picked up.

Thanks to all who contributed to this as I found a RF vert on fleabay so now just looking for or will 3D FR500 wheels if I can't find any in scale. As you noted the MC paint is expensive (FAV color) but this post has encouraged me to go that route with my silver after I finish my 1/16th Jadtiger.

Love your handle Stray Bullitt! Especially since I did the film and Boys Republic show this past weekend...

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Great work and thread.. Long time modeler here.. Started with planes and cars back in the 60s, then ships and armor. Still love building armor. Somewhere I have the 1/24th of my first car, Dk Grn 67 GTA fastback that I drove like Frank Bullitt every chance I got in my teens. When I was working at Revell, one of my friends there mixed Testors enamels to paint the body. The trick was baking it and then toothpaste rub n buff..Looked factory. I found a silver Cobra like the one you used for this thread a few weeks back and was planning on repaint to match my RF 03 I just picked up.

Thanks to all who contributed to this as I found a RF vert on fleabay so now just looking for or will 3D FR500 wheels if I can't find any in scale. As you noted the MC paint is expensive (FAV color) but this post has encouraged me to go that route with my silver after I finish my 1/16th Jadtiger.

Love your handle Stray Bullitt! Especially since I did the film and Boys Republic show this past weekend...

Thank you for commenting 03SVT4DWP! Love to hear from fellow modelers who know how much time and work goes into building these cars. I wish I could create parts as you do with 3D printing. Doing that allows you to take this hobby to another level. I'm a very good painter, but not so much a fabricator.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and I appreciate the positive feedback!!!!

03SVT4DWP

Established Member
Thank you for commenting 03SVT4DWP! Love to hear from fellow modelers who know how much time and work goes into building these cars. I wish I could create parts as you do with 3D printing. Doing that allows you to take this hobby to another level. I'm a very good painter, but not so much a fabricator.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and I appreciate the positive feedback!!!!
Glenn right? Same here.. I miss my days at Revell and my Hotwheels designer friends. You're work is first rate so I was happy to stumble onto this thread. At the McQueen show I talked with several fabricators, painters and artists in general and we all laughed when I said lots of people want to be artists until they see how much work is involved!

3D printing is a godsend for me as I'd normally have to either turn the wheels in aluminum, make one correct master then mold the rest. I still may go CNC because the finished wheels will polish up nice, be more durable and save me from vacuum metalizing resin copies.

Again, great job and look forward to what's next.. David

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Glenn right? Same here.. I miss my days at Revell and my Hotwheels designer friends. You're work is first rate so I was happy to stumble onto this thread. At the McQueen show I talked with several fabricators, painters and artists in general and we all laughed when I said lots of people want to be artists until they see how much work is involved!

3D printing is a godsend for me as I'd normally have to either turn the wheels in aluminum, make one correct master then mold the rest. I still may go CNC because the finished wheels will polish up nice, be more durable and save me from vacuum metalizing resin copies.

Again, great job and look forward to what's next.. David

Hello David. Yes, my name is Glenn. I can imagine having friends and designers in the business. Always nice to have those contacts incase you need something.

Thank you for your compliment. Coming from someone who worked for Revell and who has been around this hobby that means a lot to me. A lot of guys who have purchased a car from me here has given me rave reviews and I'm very appreciative of that as well. Always nice when people appreciate your work. However, I have had my share of mistakes too. The good thing is guys around here have been patient and allowed me to make it right.

I have been wanting to get into the 3D printing game. I have been wanting to get someone to create a 2003 Roush front bumper for me so I can install it on one of the Maisto Mustang GT's. I would love to create a replica of my Roush. I have found Roush wheels, so I have everything I need except the front bumper. I went to a website called Shapeways (they have a lot of designers there), but I have not really tried to contact someone to enter that venture with me. Maybe one day.

Thanks again David. Appreciate the feedback and insight. I have a few more cars in the works, so stay tuned sir :D............

Glenn

03SVT4DWP

Established Member
Hello David. Yes, my name is Glenn. I can imagine having friends and designers in the business. Always nice to have those contacts incase you need something.

Thank you for your compliment. Coming from someone who worked for Revell and who has been around this hobby that means a lot to me. A lot of guys who have purchased a car from me here has given me rave reviews and I'm very appreciative of that as well. Always nice when people appreciate your work. However, I have had my share of mistakes too. The good thing is guys around here have been patient and allowed me to make it right.

I have been wanting to get into the 3D printing game. I have been wanting to get someone to create a 2003 Roush front bumper for me so I can install it on one of the Maisto Mustang GT's. I would love to create a replica of my Roush. I have found Roush wheels, so I have everything I need except the front bumper. I went to a website called Shapeways (they have a lot of designers there), but I have not really tried to contact someone to enter that venture with me. Maybe one day.

Thanks again David. Appreciate the feedback and insight. I have a few more cars in the works, so stay tuned sir :D............

Glenn
Youre welcome Glenn. I love encouraging my fellow artists and always appreciate fine work. Don't get me started on mistakes! Ha Ha I've had my share too. As for your Roush challenge, lots of ways to go. There's lots of talent in the Austin area for one and you could easily find a student or recent graduate who could assist without breaking the bank. Easiest if whom ever you work with has a scanner they can scan an existing bumper then mod it in CAD and print it out. It's great you have the wheels already. Im way to busy and impatient to go the old fashioned way so a friend will CNC my FR 500 wheels from the model I provide. Right now I want to make sure I can source tires as making those and ultimately casting in a urethane will just gobble up too much time.

I'll be meeting with a few ex Hotwheels guys so if you hit roadblocks PM me and I'll see if someone I know can help. Nice you have other cars lined up! Looking forward to it...

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'll be meeting with a few ex Hotwheels guys so if you hit roadblocks PM me and I'll see if someone I know can help. Nice you have other cars lined up! Looking forward to it...

Thanks David! Really appreciate the offer. I have always said, "it's not what you know, but who you know."

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

I built another tribute car. The wife and I are going to Austin at the end of the month for our anniversary. Since I will be in Austin I'm going to swing by Martin Brothers Customs (AKA: Iron Resurrection). While there I will drop off this creation to them :D........

M Custom 2.JPG

M Custom 3.JPG

M Custom 1.JPG

M Custom 6.JPG

M Custom 11.JPG

M Custom 4.JPG

M Custom 12.JPG

M Custom 9.JPG

03SVT4DWP

Established Member
Okay everyone,

I built another tribute car. The wife and I are going to Austin at the end of the month for our anniversary. Since I will be in Austin I'm going to swing by Martin Brothers Customs (AKA: Iron Resurrection). While there I will drop off this creation to them :D........

View attachment 1492582

View attachment 1492583

View attachment 1492584

View attachment 1492585

View attachment 1492586

View attachment 1492587

View attachment 1492588

View attachment 1492589
Magnificent Glenn!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Magnificent Glenn!

Thanks David! You're too kind sir!

Glenn, you're going to be famous one day

Thanks Todd! That would be cool. I might be able to get my 15 minuets out of it (or a 30 second spot LMAO). Although I'm NOT looking for this, seriously, I'm not, but I was thinking wouldn't it be cool if I show up to give them the panel truck and they are filming and they put me on TV to discuss why I made the diecast car for them LOL.

Again, I'm in no way expecting that, but it would be cool as hell :D...........

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, got some work done :D...........

Here is the RF coupe in clear coat. Gonna start reassembly this weekend. This one is going to have some touches I've never done before. Should be interesting.

RF 3.JPG

RF 4.JPG

RF 1.JPG

RF 2.JPG

These wheels are going on the Satin Silver (SS) Coupe I posted pictures of earlier
SS Wheels.JPG

Anyone care to guess the color of the next car I'm building :D........
ZY B7 1.JPG

03SVT4DWP

Established Member
Okay, got some work done :D...........

Here is the RF coupe in clear coat. Gonna start reassembly this weekend. This one is going to have some touches I've never done before. Should be interesting.

View attachment 1494715

View attachment 1494716

View attachment 1494717

View attachment 1494718

These wheels are going on the Satin Silver (SS) Coupe I posted pictures of earlier
View attachment 1494719

Anyone care to guess the color of the next car I'm building :D........
View attachment 1494720
Glenn..looking good! Zinc Yellow for your next? I believe that's the code for my other 03 Cobra I sold following family court. Still looking for scale FR500 wheels before I spend a bunch on some SLA copies. BTW all my other scale homies are too busy to make a Roush bumper. If you have a stock scale bumper, what about building it up with putty and then molding it for some resin cast copies? If I get a hold of some SLA peeps I'll see if they can print one in metal once I build a 3D file.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Again, I know it's not a Ford, but I finished my Dads Father's Day gift. He used to have one like this. The color is called Dusk Pearl. I think 57 was the only year it was available. So, it is a little on the rare side.

The unique thing about this one is I created the hubcaps for it. Never done anything like this before. They didn't come out perfect, but close enough to the desired effect I was looking for :D..........

Dusk Pearl 2.JPG

Dusk Pearl 1.JPG

Dusk Pearl 3.JPG

Dusk Pearl 9.JPG

Dusk Pearl 7.JPG

Dusk Pearl 8.JPG

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Glenn..looking good! Zinc Yellow for your next? I believe that's the code for my other 03 Cobra I sold following family court. Still looking for scale FR500 wheels before I spend a bunch on some SLA copies. BTW all my other scale homies are too busy to make a Roush bumper. If you have a stock scale bumper, what about building it up with putty and then molding it for some resin cast copies? If I get a hold of some SLA peeps I'll see if they can print one in metal once I build a 3D file.

Hello David; Yes sir Zinc yellow it is. I've seen and sprayed SY before, but never ZY. Looking forward to this one.

Thank you for checking on the Roush bumper for me. You didn't need to do that, but it is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm more of a paint a decal guy, so if I tried to use putty it will probably come out looking like a 5 year old created it out of play doo LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Got a lot done over Father's Day weekend.

First here is the SS coupe with the painted wheels mounted:

BEFORE:
SS 2.JPG

SS 6.JPG

AFTER (Now it looks more like the owners Cobra):
SS 11.JPG

SS 13.JPG

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Here is the RF completed. This one has Parchment interior. Also, the owner wanted a chrome supercharger and chrome valve covers. He also wanted chrome hood vents. So, I used my chrome simulator (the one I use to make some bumper letters chrome) on these items. First time I have attempted this and they came out great. You can bareley see it in the pictures, but it also has "terminator" on the coil covers.

This one was also lowered. Pictures really do this one NO justice. Really came out nice.

RF 12.JPG

RF 14.JPG

RF 15.JPG

RF 8.JPG

RF 10.JPG

RF 7.JPG

RF 6.JPG

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
And here is the next project under deconstruction. This is going to be a re-spray. Car was originally DSG that was painted ZY. I'm going to re-spray it ZY, fix the over spray and add my emblems. Should come out real nice once it's done.

Once it's completed I will post before and after pictures.

ZY 1.JPG

ZY 2.JPG

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, I was able to get some work done on the ZY re-spray.

Here is the process. This car is coming out pretty good. I like it :D..........

ZY 4.JPG

ZY 5.JPG

ZY 7.JPG

ZY 8.JPG

ZY 10.JPG

ZY 11.JPG

ZY 14.JPG

ZY 15.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread