One hell of a daily driver in the making

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Why would you want airbags?

well as far as i could tell i have three options

1. leaf springs, cheap, but a very rough ride and will not level itself when i load the bed with a pallet (2000 pounds) of concrete, portland, pool crete, wood chips. All the stuff i carry year round, and certainly wont be the best option fo towing a race car, or other construction equipment, plus its boring, why would i want whats on every other truck thats ever been made?

2. A coil over shock, I could model it like the one up offroad system and would have a very sick ride indeed, it would have insane flexibility and would be very unique, but i would still have a hell of a time with towing. Plus im not ready to deal with all the math of calculatin the perfect shock, driveshaft angles or set the vehicle up to deal with the stress of that kind of flexibility. Plus a one up offroad unit is not suggested for highway usage, so Id feel uncomfortable modeling my truck after a $15,000+ suspension system when they dont want me to travel with it on the interstate

3. Air ride, although its not cheap it offers the most universal options. I can set my truck to ride at 16" while driving or parked, set it up so that as soon as i shut my truck off/unlock it, it lets all air out of system and lowers ~8", with the capability to lower it, i can have an extremely tall truck that can still clear under the drive thru, or my garage or shop or whatever, lastly is towing, i can slam the truck to the ground to back up to my trailor and raise it when im underneath it, and ill be hooked right then and there, i could load any weight amount and the system would always level itself both front to back and left to right, offering the ability to tow basically anything in any position.

I chose option 3 because it is clearly the best, i can have all the ride comfort in the world, its practical, and although its not cheap, i believe ill be much happier with that in the long run:read:

04sonicbeast

Established Member
only suggestion about air ride is you might have a very bouncy ride. my cousin put air ride on his f150 but then again it was lowered not lifted like you plan. Your still going to want to add shocks for some of the rough roads.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
only suggestion about air ride is you might have a very bouncy ride. my cousin put air ride on his f150 but then again it was lowered not lifted like you plan. Your still going to want to add shocks for some of the rough roads.

two different series of shocks in the front and rear, so a total of 8, one with a softer rate and one with a stiffer rate in all four corners. Plus rebound frombumps is taken into considerating when i determine air bag length, i decide what exact psi i want to run at what height...

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
I have seen a few kelderman air bag setups. Versatile for sure but not to the extent I understand you may be looking for. Love the build although I do have to lol at the backing up to the trailer and raising the air bags to hook up. By the time you get in the truck and inflate the bags I'll have the trailer down, chained, plugged in and be passing you.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
I have seen a few kelderman air bag setups. Versatile for sure but not to the extent I understand you may be looking for. Love the build although I do have to lol at the backing up to the trailer and raising the air bags to hook up. By the time you get in the truck and inflate the bags I'll have the trailer down, chained, plugged in and be passing you.

mehh, doesnt really matter, i was gonna put a switch next to the license plate to make things quicker

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
hood dont fit, gonna have to do some trimming or find another cowl cover. :nonono:

330363_10151228546730033_1675980521_o.jpg

began to strip the front end suspension

240070_10151228547115033_148109114_o.jpg

475306_10151228547680033_1638710128_o.jpg

204743_10151228548120033_998855600_o.jpg

Fuel tank, brake lines, and some electrical for tail lighs are all in my way from cutting off that second leaf spring

240459_10151228548740033_1213367022_o.jpg

Ouch

133934_10151228550360033_466586979_o.jpg

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
I think the build is neat and will turn out cool. But here is my question, in all of the reasoning about the suspension it all flowed back to towing. If your so worried about towing, why are you putting a 16" lift on a truck with big tires? All of these things are going to make towing suck B-hole. Either way, cool truck.

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
I tip my hat to you OP, I have no problem doing things like changing oil or swapping a blower, what you are doing on the other hand is a whole new level.

The potential paint scheme looks great!

xxstarspyxx

Established Member
Pretty sick dude. I cant beleive your 18 and have this much knowledge haha, only thing i know how to do is an oil change. Good luck with the build, cant wait to see the finished truck

Users who are viewing this thread