Overheating and 2750 RPM max

0silversnake3

Established Member
Hey guys. Looking for some help/advice please. First off let me explain my situation. I’m from TN and flew into to Detroit yesterday to purchase a 2003 cobra. Price was freaking crazy good. Quick test drive when I got to the lot, 5 minutes around the block. Car was perfect!! Make purchase. Leave the lot drive about 1 mile from lot to get gas before hitting I-75 to head back to TN. Left car running while getting gas, car been running now about total of 10 minutes or so. Leave gas station and go to turn onto ramp to I state, car is sputtering and “missing” terrible ONLY when it reaches 2750 RPM. Almost like the computer was shutting down firing cylinders or something. I then notice temp gauge is PEGGED at the red line.

Drive it back to dealership, they tell me thermostat is bad and thermostat housing is cracked. So then they “fix” these items. Mechanic takes it for a quick 2-3 minute drive down road, great they think it is fixed!! I start heading down road again and reach same gas station, I notice the temp gauge is creeping up again. Go pull out from red light that I had been stopped at for a couple minutes, same thing again. I hit 2750 RPM, and the starts bucking and missing like crazy.

Any thoughts on this??? I’ve ready a lot about the burping of the coolant system etc. the car fax states that the radiator had just been flushed and cleaned at the dealership. Did they do it correctly???? Or is there something more serious going on with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
My guess would be they threw some JB Weld on the housing, topped off the reservoir, and called it good. A bubble in the system can cause all kinds of issues. You need to pull the cap at the crossover and fill from there.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Zemedici

Established Member
My guess would be they threw some JB Weld on the housing, topped off the reservoir, and called it good. A bubble in the system can cause all kinds of issues. You need to pull the cap at the crossover and fill from there.

This. The bucking is the system limiting revs so it doesn’t hurt itself. Sounds like air in the system

Sfcjerryharris

Established Member
Aww man that is crazy, but thermostat is done, yes check the inner cooler pump and make sure it's working. Can you get to a shop? Maybe resetting the entire system might help. Do you have a programmer with you? Is there any warning lights? That's weird to here that, how's the radiator fluid, how old is it?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

0silversnake3

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. No, I’m back in TN now, and the car is still at the lot in Detroit. They said they were going to look into it tomorrow and get back with me. I sent them a link on the “burping” procedure and how to properly put coolant in the car.

So do you guys think the car is ok for me to go through with the purchase???? I can take care of the burping procedure myself if that’s all that’s wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
Are they willing to let you out of buying it?

Personally I would be turned off. For all you know they beat the hell out of it and its more than the tstat.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd want a compression test at the minimum. A leak down would be better. If they say no to either of those walk away.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The 2750 rpm thing is not any kind of limiter due to temps that I’m aware of. This could be anything from a simple combo of an air bubble and a bad coil up to blown head gaskets or hurt cylinders

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Sounds like a bad head gasket. Im sure the car has over heated before. Sounds like the place you bought it from got a better deal on the car and flip it for a profit to you.

hotcobra03

Established Member
crazy..I just posted today in good deal thread..

about driving car for a certain amount of time,,and overheat..

I had this issue..45mins into a drive car would overheat..
I chased it for 2 yrs..over heated many times..yes many times..

issue was radiator..just couldn' keep up.

burp n fill..I don' follow it,other than using fill plug..

but do have my own procedure to remove air..

the fan itself has issue with ring breaking causing over heating..

fan connector I had issue with loose connection causing intermittenting cooling..

I had head issues..2 times that caused overheating..these tho it would overheat without a drive.

good luck..

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Man that's a tough one. Would have to be a really good deal. What seems like you're saving 4-5k now might cost you 8-10k soon after. I wouldn't even think about it until they can deliver a drivable vehicle.

0silversnake3

Established Member
Aww man that is crazy, but thermostat is done, yes check the inner cooler pump and make sure it's working. Can you get to a shop? Maybe resetting the entire system might help. Do you have a programmer with you? Is there any warning lights? That's weird to here that, how's the radiator fluid, how old is it?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

The ABS light is on. Other than that, there is nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Man that's a tough one. Would have to be a really good deal. What seems like you're saving 4-5k now might cost you 8-10k soon after. I wouldn't even think about it until they can deliver a drivable vehicle.
I Agree with this.

Users who are viewing this thread