Overweight need to get inshape where do I start?

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
Im 5'11 240lbs in horrible shape, smoke etc. How do I need to start going in the right direction? Most of my weight is in my belley of course suggestions?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Sugar, get rid of it. No soda, no beer, no alcohol period. Start there and start walking for now. Increase your speed every two weeks. Try walking some hills.

You would be amazed how much just cutting sugar out will do.

Kenny O.

Established Member
Diet is going to be the main factor in losing weight. Find out roughly how many calories your body needs to maintain its current weight, and most people will eat around 500 calories less than that to lose roughly 1-1.5lb per week. Eating healthy foods like chicken, tuna, fish, of course fruits and vegetables and so forth. I use the myfitnesspal AP on iPhone to count my calories and love it. Start going to the gym, doing some cardio will help burn the fat but don't just ignore lifting. The more muscle you have the more fat you burn so hit the weights hard too and maintain any lean muscle you can while you're cutting down on fat. This is what I've been doing with a little bit bigger of a calorie deficit and I've lost 25lbs in the last two months. You just need to be serious about it, no junk/fast food and as stated above no alcohol. I drink about a gallon of water a day.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Im 5'11 240lbs in horrible shape, smoke etc. How do I need to start going in the right direction? Most of my weight is in my belley of course suggestions?

1. Cut the Alcohol, smoking, and soda pop OUT! Start today.
2. Look at yourself and ponder, would I **** me? If not its time for a change
3. Smaller portions is a start even with nasty food, start eating chicken, veggies and brown rice
4. get P90x and continue

Im 6'2/'3ish 200lbs with a baby gut, i still smoke but its only a holiday or whne having a beer once a week. Cutting out sugar, ciggs and alcohol will give you major mood swings but you need to fight thru it and keep telling yourself, this soon shall pass

not sure if the numbers pulled through but if you want to start losing weight, start eating 2000 cals or less a day
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Stop smoking.

Increase exercise. I'm not talking about going to the gym, just walking around your block. Start out with once. And work your way up 45 minutes everyday.

Cut out ONE thing that you really like from your diet. Just one. Don't make a huge, insustainable change. After you have gotten used to no having one thing missing from your diet, remove something else.

INNOVATE_1

Part-time Dream Crusher
Established Member

1) Stop smoking.

2) Being healthy is a lifestyle. It's not just about working out.. Diet, work/life balance, sleep, etc.. are all critical.. If you truly want to change go visit a CPT with experience, not a noob just starting off. They have a wealth of knowledge and can start you off in the right direction for the fitness/diet side. As for the other critical factors, plenty of articles out there you can read.

3) Get your lazy ass up, get off the car forums, and get started.

:beer:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member

Don't even bother trying. If you're too lazy to read any of the hundred weekly threads here or the thousands on bodybuilding.com or the million other ones all over the internet on this exact subject, there's no way in hell you'll follow a strict diet with exercise.

Digital

Established Member
When you're offered food do this.

0d7a8740_Shaking_head.gif

MaCaNs

Filth, Flarn, Filth
Established Member
Get off your fat ass and do something.

+1 - just start somewhere - chances are you have a lot of 'water weight', get to sweatin, light jog or speedwalk. If you correct your diet, and sweat a little you will improve. Start there, then go on to other things once you do this for about a month.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Cut your portion sizes, eat more frequently, eat more healthy, cut the sugar, excersise, and have realistic goals. It will take a few weeks to get everything going, so don't expect 10-15lbs the first week like Biggest Loser.

If you have an absolute craving for something, take a few bites and throw the rest away. The first few bites satisfy your craving, and only do this maybe once a week as a reward.

Remember that you need to break a pretty good sweat and get your heart rate up while excercising or you are basically fooling yourself.

oem

Custom User Title
Established Member
Im about to try this again, im 6'1 and 260. I went to the gym did a good amount of cardio, lifted a little.Also changed my diet alot cut out all the soda's alot of sugar, and ate smart choice, lean cuisene, and better meals. No matter what I did my weight did not go down what so ever, I didn't lose a pound. Lost intrest after a couple months and no change and went back to the old me. Im not feeling as good, but im still am 260. Im going to try hardcore diet and start eating like a rabbit, and just start jogging the neighborhood. Anyone ever had something like this, I could not believe no matter what my body held the same weight.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Im about to try this again, im 6'1 and 260. I went to the gym did a good amount of cardio, lifted a little.Also changed my diet alot cut out all the soda's alot of sugar, and ate smart choice, lean cuisene, and better meals. No matter what I did my weight did not go down what so ever, I didn't lose a pound. Lost intrest after a couple months and no change and went back to the old me. Im not feeling as good, but im still am 260. Im going to try hardcore diet and start eating like a rabbit, and just start jogging the neighborhood. Anyone ever had something like this, I could not believe no matter what my body held the same weight.

have your typhoid checked

Kenny O.

Established Member

It doesn't matter if you eat healthy if your still intaking alot of calories. If your serious about weight loss, counting calories will hold you accountable. Look up a Maintenance Calculator online to get a rough estimate on how many calories you need to maintain current weight, then intake 10-20% less than that. That + Exercise and you'll lose the weight. Join bodybuilding.com the amount of info on there in ridiculous.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

What did you consider a good amount of cardio?

Users who are viewing this thread