Paxton Novi 2200 install 2014 MT82 base GT

Way2QWK

Established Member
How noisy was or is the paxton/vortech blower at idle and part throttle before you did wastegate or BOV mods? I am considering one myself but dont want an overly loud blower. Possible excess noise is one reason I still have a TVS on the list. Any videos?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol you want those numbers you will need a 6r80 mod.

NNooooooooo!!! :)

How noisy was or is the paxton/vortech blower at idle and part throttle before you did wastegate or BOV mods? I am considering one myself but dont want an overly loud blower. Possible excess noise is one reason I still have a TVS on the list. Any videos?

Slight whistle at idle. part throttle crusing on flat ground there is a small whoosh of air coming out of the BOV. As soon as you give ANY load to the motor (more throttle) the BOV closes and all you hear is exhaust until you shift gears.

The smaller the pulley, the louder it all gets. I have a 3.6 on it now and find it more than acceptable.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Suppose its time for an update. The car has gone through a few changes. I added a wastegate, gates 100" belt, and a 3.33" pulley. The car definitely pulls harder down low but belt is slipping up top due to the 3.73 gears and how quickly the motor revs... there are a few threads going around about this problem.

Drivability also suffered a bit from the 3.33. I need to send some logs to Lund and get an update.

Because of the belt slipping issue, i went to a 3.6 pulley. Car runs great with this pulley and drivability is almost as good as it was with the 3.8.

However i am missing how powerful it was down low with the 3.33 and as such am going to install 3.27 gears this weekend. Ive never done a ring and pinion swap so wish me luck.

These gears will allow 138-140mph or so with no 5th gear shift in the quarter mile on a 27.5" drag radial at about 7300 rpms.

image_zpstnilwqvp.jpg

So gears are installed. Ive been driving the car for a week and i am THRILLED with the results. Car is an absolute pleasure to drive. I have a usable 1st gear now and 75 mph on the freeway has me at 1950 rpm. Its awesome.

I feel like the car has just as much power as before but with the added benefit of better fuel mileage and the ability to see 140 mph in 4th gear on a 28" tire. WIN WIN WIN.

Definitely a believer in these gears now... HIGHLY recommended mod.

I did it on the floor of my garage with the car on jack stands. Took about a day and a half taking my time working alone.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Absolutely... I've been slacking. Just need to find some time on the weekend and get her done.

lshin037

Established Member
No it's the 100"..... Forgot the part number ...

I came up on a thread about the 3.33 pulley where the OP (Krace) said the K060997HD (100.25") slipped past 6K and the ideal size for him was K060994HD (99.86") with the idler on the 4th hole from the left. His is an auto though. You were on that thread or he replied to one of your threads and that's why I'm asking. I ordered it to see if it fixes my issue.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I do remember that. I'll have to order it and see how it does.

I just don't like the idea of bottoming out the tensioner and still having to "walk" the belt onto the pulley. Can't be good for crank main bearings.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
ok... this is the belt im running ....K061000HD

On Gates' website it says it has an effective length of 100.01".

The belt you suggest is 99.3" according to Gates website. Im going to order and see how it does.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
alright... spent a couple hours on the car yesterday.

Went to Autozone and bought the Duralast equivalent of the k060994HD gates belt which has identical dimensions. It has a 99.4" effective length. Idler pulley is in the 4th hole from left.

I pulled the blower and swapped the 3.33" pulley back on. Cleaned off the dust from the back of the blower to get a good start from scratch.

Installed wastegate setup.

Went for drive. Car is now building 10-11 psi by 6000 rpm which is a HUGE improvement from the last time I ran this set up.

I don't know if its the gear swap or the the 1/2" shorter belt, or what but as of right now im pretty happy. It does not appear to be slipping as of now.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
gimme11s: What spring are you running in the WG? I hope you found the fix!
lshin037: Please update and let us know if that fixes your issue.

I have a ton of belt dust so I'm sure it slipping also even though I still see good boost(I'm guessing it slipping past the WG psi so I'm not losing boost but still slipping).

lshin037

Established Member

I have a ton of belt dust so I'm sure it slipping also even though I still see good boost(I'm guessing it slipping past the WG psi so I'm not losing boost but still slipping).

Definitely will.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Im running a Turbosmart 40mm gate with the 7psi spring that it came with. I have a 10 psi spring but am getting 9.5 or 10 with the 7 psi spring so i will just leave as is.

The compressor on the 2200 is HUGE and theoretically move enough air for 1000 wheel horsepower. If the belt has traction, the blower can make enough air to easily overwhelm a small wastegate that is not open all of the way.

Of course the wastegate is not an on/off switch. The valve will open and close slowly and proportionately according to how much signal it sees (pressure from the line attached to it).

THis is the reason large HP turbo ssytems run multiple gates because one large one cannot bypass enough exhaust to maintain a desired boost level---this is turbo specific but you get the point im trying to make.

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
Installed the belt but it didn't solve the issue. The old belt (K061000HD) didn't look bad at all. Actually couldn't tell the difference between it and the new belt. So looks like gimme11s was right all along and just confirmed it with his gear swap. But my issue is still weird.

slow4dr

Established Member
alright... spent a couple hours on the car yesterday.

Went to Autozone and bought the Duralast equivalent of the k060994HD gates belt which has identical dimensions. It has a 99.4" effective length. Idler pulley is in the 4th hole from left.

I pulled the blower and swapped the 3.33" pulley back on. Cleaned off the dust from the back of the blower to get a good start from scratch.

Installed wastegate setup.

Went for drive. Car is now building 10-11 psi by 6000 rpm which is a HUGE improvement from the last time I ran this set up.

I don't know if its the gear swap or the the 1/2" shorter belt, or what but as of right now im pretty happy. It does not appear to be slipping as of now.

This makes me all tingly in my pants. We may have to head down to Mexico this weekend with the gopros. The Lexus isn't ready yet but the little Hemorrhoid is ready for take 2.

Users who are viewing this thread