Paxton Novi 2200 install 2014 MT82 base GT

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Damn, car looks great with those wheels. Can not wait until I order them here in the warmer months. Could you post an idle video? Curious to her how the whistle is from that blower.

If you could, get some video in car then outside the car in front of it. Bet it pulls damn good compared to stock! Can not wait to go boosted haha.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll get some vid this weekend. Last time I used the GoPro it took me 45 minutes to upload a 15 second video LOL.

Maybe ill take a couple quick ones with my phone as the resolution will be lower than the GP thus taking less time to upload.

That said, the whistle at idle is VERY noticeable. When you pull into parking lots anyone who knows about cars KNOWS exactly what is going on under the hood.

As you increase revs the whistle goes away but BOV activity very much increases; again making people aware the car is boosted.

The car is an absolute animal now. With the 3.73s it comes up on the "pipe" so damn fast you had better be good at shifting gears because they come and go extremely quick.

The NT05Rs bite down very nicely. From a second gear roll, they turn about one rotation and seem to immediately warm up and begin to bite down good.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine whistle a lot after it starts to build boost.

I haven't noticed that with mine yet.

BTW your videos on youtube were a BIG motivator for me going with the Paxton so........... THANK YOU!

:thumbsup:

So you'd recommend the tires? Makes me want a blower lol.

So far so good... i'll know more after the 15th when I take her to the drag strip.

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member

BTW your videos on youtube were a BIG motivator for me going with the Paxton so........... THANK YOU!

So far so good... i'll know more after the 15th when I take her to the drag strip.
thanks man I'm glad it helped you with the decision. It's a really nice setup man. Very reliable and fun to drive I like it alot.

lshin037

Established Member
Just got mine installed and in the middle of tuning with Jon Lund II too. I'm on my 3rd revision. This thing PULLLLLSSS! I would get spinning on 1st and 2nd gear and it would chirp on third. Now, 3rd gear is useless is well. Tires are next on my list. Mine does something strange and was wondering if you get the same thing. When doing my 7200 WOT logs, the clutch pedal would stick. I have to pull the pedal up (or back) manually. Does this happen to you?

PC03GT

Established Member
That's the pressure plate. Those clutches aren't really made for that. If you take the assistant spring out it should help

Deerslayer

Established Member
^^ Remove the helper spring with a pair of neeldle nosed vice grips. Takes about 5 seconds to do it.
Have someone depress the clutch, while the clutch pedal is pressed down all the way, use the vice grips to pinch together two of the pieces of spring together. Once you lock the vise grips pinching the spring together, have them let off the clutch. Tilt the spring and it will come right out. Remove the spring seat pin and the seat will come out. DONE There are some vids online how to do this too. We already had done this and replaced the hydraulic clutch line prior to installing the Vortech setup so our OEM clutch worked ok with the power this car put down. Still would occasionally would get locked out of 3rd, so I changed out the clutch, PP, TOB and flywheel. Since the car is a DD went with the Exedy Mach 500 stage 3 with an Exedy TOB & Exedy lightweight steel flywheel. What a difference No lockouts, engagement is SO much better.
Inspecting the OEM clutch & flywheel: They showed some signs of hot spotting but there was still a lot left on the clutch. Surprised after running boosted for that long. 20k on car total, 7k boosted.

lshin037

Established Member
PC03GT & Deerslayer. Thank you! So glad it's an easy fix. After that install of the SC, I don't want to work on my car for awhile. It was truly a painful experience.

nicksender

Established Member

The car look great; can't wait to see the 1/4 results.

I might have missed it but did you install oil pump gears or consider them?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
nice

we really have these Paxton tunes down, I don't think sometimes people realize the work and time that has been put into perfecting them over the last few years.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
PC03GT & Deerslayer. Thank you! So glad it's an easy fix. After that install of the SC, I don't want to work on my car for awhile. It was truly a painful experience.

Sorry to hear you ran into trouble. What specifically caused you greif?

For me i'd have to say i was the least impressed with how my coolant hose hack turned out. Instructions called for cutting the hose right at 45* (middle of the 90* bend) but when i did that the finished product was pushed up against the fan much too firm for my comfort. Made me think the plastic joint at the upper hose connection was going to break over time.

I ended up going to autozone and buying another universal hose with a 90* bend and cutting out/using the 90* bend instead of the the 45* that was called for.

Works great.

The car look great; can't wait to see the 1/4 results.

I might have missed it but did you install oil pump gears or consider them?

I did not install oil pump gears. To be honest, failures seem pretty rare and im more concerned about rod failure than OPGs. Its my opinion OPG failures happen due to rpm not outright horsepower or cylinder pressure which really isnt related.

nice

we really have these Paxton tunes down, I don't think sometimes people realize the work and time that has been put into perfecting them over the last few years.

Nothing but praise for this tune and the whole transaction with you. Incredible experience and would do over again in a second. Terry is all over any customer concerns immediately.

Lund Jr, same thing... guy flat out knows his stuff. Took the time to explain some stuff to me over the 3 or 4 revisions because i am wanting to learn as much about the SCT tuning/logging platform as i possibly can. I have some background tuning so the conversation has been great but this guy gets it! Great group and fast responses.

Couldnt be happier. And for my total investment thus far--its my opinion the results simply cannot be duplicated cheaper.

Famine

Established Member
Is there not a way we could find a plug and play hose that we could replace it with as opposed to cutting at all? There has to be one right?

cjd223

Established Member
Oil pump gears fail due to rotational mass issues = 7,000+ rpms. HP has nothing to do with their failure. OTOH what the heck do I know. I am just a retired ME with a Six Sigma Black Belt.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Oil pump gears fail due to rotational mass issues = 7,000+ rpms. HP has nothing to do with their failure. OTOH what the heck do I know. I am just a retired ME with a Six Sigma Black Belt.

Are you sure? Because mine is still holding up and I regularly shift the sucker at 7,500 rpm. I know a few people are spinning to 7,800 rpm with the Boss mani with no problems that i've heard of. Not saying you're wrong btw....just wanting to see if there's something I don't know.

cjd223

Established Member
I talked with a couple of well known tuners about the failures. Both tended to agree that it is a rotation mass issue. Also had a conversation with a well known engine builder. He said the same thing. Not saying I am correct. Just a theory. I no longer have access to equipment that could tell for sure. In some aspects being retired sucks.

lshin037

Established Member
Sorry to hear you ran into trouble. What specifically caused you greif?

For me i'd have to say i was the least impressed with how my coolant hose hack turned out. Instructions called for cutting the hose right at 45* (middle of the 90* bend) but when i did that the finished product was pushed up against the fan much too firm for my comfort. Made me think the plastic joint at the upper hose connection was going to break over time.

I ended up going to autozone and buying another universal hose with a 90* bend and cutting out/using the 90* bend instead of the the 45* that was called for.

Works great.

I did not install oil pump gears. To be honest, failures seem pretty rare and im more concerned about rod failure than OPGs. Its my opinion OPG failures happen due to rpm not outright horsepower or cylinder pressure which really isnt related.

Nothing but praise for this tune and the whole transaction with you. Incredible experience and would do over again in a second. Terry is all over any customer concerns immediately.

Lund Jr, same thing... guy flat out knows his stuff. Took the time to explain some stuff to me over the 3 or 4 revisions because i am wanting to learn as much about the SCT tuning/logging platform as i possibly can. I have some background tuning so the conversation has been great but this guy gets it! Great group and fast responses.

Couldnt be happier. And for my total investment thus far--its my opinion the results simply cannot be duplicated cheaper.

Just about all the steps that everyone combined had trouble with. Coolant hoses, the damn FAN, the cold side piping to name a few. Some have said that it was so much fun they'd do it again. Not this guy! But this journey was like how giving birth is described. During the process, I cussed just about everything and everyone. I cussed out Beefcake and all the people that said this was an easy process. But once it was completed and took it for a spin on the base tune, I forgot all the pain and suffering. I'm still in the tuning process (4th revision) but it's getting better and better.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you sure? Because mine is still holding up and I regularly shift the sucker at 7,500 rpm. I know a few people are spinning to 7,800 rpm with the Boss mani with no problems that i've heard of. Not saying you're wrong btw....just wanting to see if there's something I don't know.

Agree... The issue in general has been blown a little out of proportion IMO. Plenty of people with 600+hp and/or 7800 rpm CJ intake motors with stock gears and no failures.

Just about all the steps that everyone combined had trouble with. Coolant hoses, the damn FAN, the cold side piping to name a few. Some have said that it was so much fun they'd do it again. Not this guy! But this journey was like how giving birth is described. During the process, I cussed just about everything and everyone. I cussed out Beefcake and all the people that said this was an easy process. But once it was completed and took it for a spin on the base tune, I forgot all the pain and suffering. I'm still in the tuning process (4th revision) but it's getting better and better.

Ouch.... Im sorry it was that rough on you.

I actually enjoyed it... but then again, im happier in the garage getting grease under my nails than i am in front of a TV or whatever it is other folks enjoy.

Having the right tools also helps a ton. I had the fan done in a matter of minutes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread