Personal hobbies?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
How are you guys doing rc cars on the cheap?? Me and my buddy spent a small fortune trying to keep a pair of traxxas slash's together
My room mate and I bought T-Maxx classics when they were on sale. I think we each spent $329 on them, his has been sublime, mine had a radio malfunction on break in and it ran itself into a hanger door (****er lol). I upgraded all the parts I broke and am into it about $400, Traxxas replaced the radio and receivers for free. It's a hell of a lot less painful to replace a $7 axle on that than a $500 half shaft in a car.

It's still not cheap if you want to compare it to lifting or reading or something, but it's a lot cheaper than racing an actual car.

Zemedici

Established Member
My room mate and I bought T-Maxx classics when they were on sale. I think we each spent $329 on them, his has been sublime, mine had a radio malfunction on break in and it ran itself into a hanger door (****er lol). I upgraded all the parts I broke and am into it about $400, Traxxas replaced the radio and receivers for free. It's a hell of a lot less painful to replace a $7 axle on that than a $500 half shaft in a car.

It's still not cheap if you want to compare it to lifting or reading or something, but it's a lot cheaper than racing an actual car.

i'm down with this. Thank you sir!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
i'm down with this. Thank you sir!
Oh and if I can be 100% honest, I would go E-maxx if I were to do it again. Electric has come so far and you don't have to waste so much time trying to get the little nitro engines broken in and tuned right.

Zemedici

Established Member
Oh and if I can be 100% honest, I would go E-maxx if I were to do it again. Electric has come so far and you don't have to waste so much time trying to get the little nitro engines broken in and tuned right.

e-maxx? I shall do some research, thank you sir!

blk02edge

Established Member
I just saw the traxxas summit and that looks decently strong. Probably keep it brushed too as Im sure brushless+3 cell was our issue haha

08mojo

Established Member
e-maxx? I shall do some research, thank you sir!

I have a Traxxas Slash 4x4 ulitmate with a few upgrades (aluminum control arms and upgraded axles). I also have a traxxas rustler with the brushless motor setup. Also have a bunch of spare parts, chargers, etc...

Both are fun as hell to bash around the back yard, track, parking lot or wherever. I don't have time for them anymore due to other hobbies. Let me know if you're interested and we can make a deal.

Zemedici

Established Member
I have a Traxxas Slash 4x4 ulitmate with a few upgrades (aluminum control arms and upgraded axles). I also have a traxxas rustler with the brushless motor setup. Also have a bunch of spare parts, chargers, etc...

Both are fun as hell to bash around the back yard, track, parking lot or wherever. I don't have time for them anymore due to other hobbies. Let me know if you're interested and we can make a deal.

hell yeah i'm interested!

99-venom

Established Member
RC isn't a cheap hobby unfortunately. It really depends on what you want to do.

Racing: you have tires, fuel, broke parts and entry fees. Electric RC's are a little cheaper on upkeep since they can only run 10 minute mains. I spend on average about $100 for a weekend of racing, I currently only run electric. I'm not the most competitive racer, but I can usually just squeak into the A main with a 35 entry field. You can keep the cost down by going with harder compound tires and limiting throttle high point, but you won't be the fastest on the track.

If you want to race. Don't go out a buy the most expensive components right off the bat. It's very difficult for someone to tell the difference between a $200 radio and $700 radio. This goes for esc's and batteries also. Learning to drive consistently, not necessarily fast, will save the car and keep you from repairs. Buying a proven chassi is worth the money for beginners though.

Bashing: Same costs with less need for the "perfect tire", but you're your only competition. Going with 1/8 truggy would be my go to for this since they are built far better than a traxxas and you can run a ton of voltage. Stay away from aluminum parts upgrades that hang outside of the chassi (aluminum control arms) these only cause other parts to be bent.

Hobby King has cheap electronics to get you started. Amainhobbies has good prices on kits. Buying last years kit at a discounted rate (losi 8ight 3.0) would be recommendation for a noob.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
RC cars are a blast. This is just my opinion but if you're going to race them I'd step up to a Losi/Team over a Traxxas. I'm personally partial to Losi.

Check RC forums and look for a used one already setup to race. I bought a nice ready to run Losi SCTE for 300 bucks. Had an awesome motor and great speed controller in that I haven't had to change. Also came with batteries etc.

I've just upgraded parts as I break them. I'd also go with electric over gas. The new brushless motors make so much power and the batteries last so long they've made gas obsolete in my opinion.

Here's a crappy pic of SCTE and my old XXT CR that I've had for probably 20 years. It's been upgraded to brushless setup and pulls the wheels on command.

rc cars.png

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Take mojo up on his dirtbike offer. Then after a day of that, see if you still want to mess with the R/C life. I gave up r/c for bikes. Never looked back. However, with either, you do need someone ride/play with.

The drone videos look awesome. I love how there is a camera and monitor.

Zemedici

Established Member
Take mojo up on his dirtbike offer. Then after a day of that, see if you still want to mess with the R/C life. I gave up r/c for bikes. Never looked back. However, with either, you do need someone ride/play with.

The drone videos look awesome. I love how there is a camera and monitor.

I'm sure I'll get together to ride with him, but if I got my own dirtbikes I'd need a truck / trailer, and then it gets out of the realm of 'rather inexpensive' hahahaha

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
True! I didnt even think about that. my 4 wheeler doesnt even fit in the bed of my lightning so i bought a trailer. Then the stock towing package doesnt work with my poll pan. It never ends $$$

Users who are viewing this thread