Pickup Test: Heavy Duty vs Heavy Duty

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Both the Chebby and Ford are capable trucks, but I would probably go Chebby at this point. Oh, and Mike Rowe lost my respect when he started doing those gay "these jeans make my butt look good" commercials. What a tool.....

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
One of the diesel magazines had a pretty cool article comparing the new powerstroke to the duramax. They had the 2 trucks pull nearly 25000lbs through the colorodo mountains... And posted the results. I'll try to find it.

Overall, the new Silverado is the better truck. GM finally got this one right... Now if only they could do something better with the 5th gens...

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
The new Duramax's are monsters.. I'm trying to convince my father to buy one (and sell me his 05). LOL.

we sell a decent amount of the duramax. only thing ive heard customers bitch about is that they need to keep pooring in some exhaust fluid every 3000 miles and it isnt cheap. something to do with emmissions and you need to keep it full or else the truck goes into limp mode

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
It has already been established that the turbo on the 6.7 is junk at altitude. Hell the guys tuning them with basic tunes are maxing the turbo out.

It is the weak link for sure so far with the 6.7.

What do you have done to your 6.0? If you did studs, how much did you pay to have them done? (assuming of course that you didn't do it yourself))

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Like I said above, this isn't any different than the b.s videos Ford put out a while back (which everyone on the blue oval side is so quick to link to when someone starts a thread asking which truck is better) showing how much better their trucks are than everyone else. Nothing more than an advertisement.

Oh, Howie, is soooooo much better than that turd Rowe!

The thing with the Ford videos is that they didn't really make any of the other brands look that bad except Toyota. GM and Dodge all failed well in those vids so it didn't seem overly biased to me. I still won't deny though that both brands probably fixed the results to make their truck look better, Ford's was just a little more convincing.

mrlrd1

Established Member
This is Ford's 4th diesel in just under a decade.

The 7.3? Didn't get the job done - not enough power.
The 6.0? Good for drinking coolant, if it starts at all. Astronomical warranty costs.
The 6.4? Didn't the job done. Still not enough power, along with miserable fuel mileage.
The 6.7? It appears even with a Ford retune it's still lacking. Time will tell the story, and with Ford's track record, who knows.

Ford pissed off a TON of customers with the 6.0 piece of shit. Who cares what kind of truck surrounded it.

Ford's gasoline offerings were an even bigger joke :rolleyes:

Coiled03 said:
and 34 straight years of being the #1 selling truck tells me Ford is still the best

And you claim you DON'T listen to propaganda? GM as a whole has sold more light duty trucks in the last decade than Ford has, which is where Ford bases their propaganda

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
It's all propaganda. No truck is perfect. I looked at and test drove them all and ended up getting a 2011 F-450 Lariat. It wasn't even close.

Badass_Forever

Established Member
i'd take the dodge all day... GMC's are just to costly to maintain and ford motors suck ass.. sure they make a shit ton of power, then your left on the side of the road with a broken truck.

I will have to say that our 2007 2500 ram was a pos, but no where near as big a pos then out 2009 stupid duty. our 2011 ram is sooooooooooooooooo good...

AMoraru

Established Member
I'm definitely a dodge guy, when it comes to diesels. My dad's 2008 F350 has been at the dealer 5 times since he purchased it(10X,XXX miles now). My 1995 dodge cummins 2500 has over 3XX,XXX on the od and around 500,000 actually miles and last time it went in was in 2000 for a transmission(manual trans). All my dad's company trucks that have been dodges have lasted forever and they go off and sell them. There Fords constantly break, it's amazing to see one reach 300,000.

Coiled03

Established Member
And you claim you DON'T listen to propaganda? GM as a whole has sold more light duty trucks in the last decade than Ford has, which is where Ford bases their propaganda

Uh oh. I think we found a chevy fan boi in our midst.

Seriously, dude, are you saying that Ford is flat out LYING in their ads? Find me an advertisement that's not twisted in some way.

The difference between the ads you usually see on TV from all manufacturers, and the videos here is that these videos were OBVIOUS junk, and OBVIOUSLY staged to make one manufacturer look the best.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The thing with the Ford videos is that they didn't really make any of the other brands look that bad except Toyota. GM and Dodge all failed well in those vids so it didn't seem overly biased to me. I still won't deny though that both brands probably fixed the results to make their truck look better, Ford's was just a little more convincing.

The Ford vids are no different. The one where they pull the frame with a set of chains on the scale is absolutely retarded.

Depending on what brand you side with, their version of the story will obviously always be more convincing. No one wants to believe that their beloved car/truck is not the best.

I just get a kick out these manufacturer's going back and forth with their own tests. They are quite entertaining.

Seriously, dude, are you saying that Ford is flat out LYING in their ads? Find me an advertisement that's not twisted in some way.

I think he meant that combining Chevy and GMC sales, (which are virtually identical trucks) they have actually sold more than the F150. Ford can technically claim the title based on being a single brand vs 2.

Last edited:

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member

to say the least. i'm not buying that the new duramax is that much faster than the other two. which is the only test i watched. so i can only imagine how bad the others are.

RU8TNQT

Im a sexy s.o.b.
Established Member
The D-max is a beast but for ford to come out with a engine/trans combo that are even close to the D-max/allison combo is impressive. I would like to remind everyone who is paying for what, while GM contracts there drivetrain out Ford is building in house and we didnt pay for it. Ford drivetrain will win in 2014 trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread