Played with a srt8 today

415ZR1

Established Member
Don't have a Mach 1 but I do have a bone stock 03 Z06. I live in Sunrise 10 minutes away. :)

Whos in South Florida this weekend wants to race from dig/roll with thier Mach 1? Lets get it on vid. Our 300 (wifes' car) is good for mid/high 12's at 110-112 for sure. C'mon, it will be FUN!

JayplaySS

I got a Cobra
Established Member
I know but you don't need to change the ring and pinion. You can just program it on your Diablo to give the speedometer a false reading. :rockon:

Forgive me I'm not trying to be cocky but I've race an SRT8 with the above mods before and I've beaten him badly. I know my car cannot hit 180 mph with the kind of HP I have not to mention my car is lighter and has less drag than the Charger or the 300 or even the magnum.

That's why I have doubt. Now if the video was done with a radar gun by all means, congrats!!!!!!!. :banana::rockon::beer: Keep in mind that the speedometer is inaccurate at 3 digits numbers and you can ask anyone at the speed calibration shop. They said that it could be off by 20-25 mph. Meaning you can be going 175 when infact you are going only 150.

I get what youre saying and this is getting so over done, but I wouldnt think someone would plug in a 31" tire combo just to show an SRT8 would run 180mph since they are for forums and the sharing of info, but who knows we do have some crazy people.

As far as being off on the speedo, oh yes but not by 25mph. Im sure these days w/o a speedo cable/gear they are much more accurate than you can imagine. On one of the chats with the SRT engineers on Chargerforums, they actually said it was closer to 1.xx of accuarcy on track tests with the Evics, they made it as accurate as possible so the guys can run 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 miles and top speeds with a great degree of accuracy. But actually who cares, you with 562rwhp should be able to run the number too, though where are you gonna try? :rockon:

This was also a friendly invite for Machs to have fun, this is my wife's car, not my 2.8KB Cobra.

Last edited:

JayplaySS

I got a Cobra
Established Member
So which is it? You have to actually run the car to find out.

Excuse me? Im sure you are totally aware a C5 Z06 is a mid 12 car @116+.
There would be no point in running that with a 12.80-13.20 @110-112 car (not talkin track prep, the street) . Im sure you see the difference. :bored:

Last edited:

BM1

Established Member
Excuse me? Im sure you are totally aware a C5 Z06 is a mid 12 car @116+.
There would be no point in running that with a 12.80-13.20 @110-112 car. Im sure you see the difference. :bored:

You said you had a mid-high 12 car "for sure" in your other post. Then you said there would be no point since it would be a mid 12 vs low 13 car which contradicts what you said before. I was just pointing out the humor in it.

JayplaySS

I got a Cobra
Established Member
You said you had a mid-high 12 car "for sure" in your other post. Then you said there would be no point since it would be a mid 12 vs low 13 car which contradicts what you said before. I was just pointing out the humor in it.

I see, but we all know even a 12.50-12.60 can end up being a 13.0+ on the street without any prep. Now from a roll, the Mach and the 300 would be much more fun (reason for invite) than a roll with a C5 Z. :coolman:

Actually I did a PRC valvespring swap on my buddies 2000 Z28 this afternoon, and we will swap the cam (MS3) next Sat. SOmetime this week, we are going to run it aginst the 300 (A5 consistant) instead of my SS (6spd inconsistant) and see the real world before and after. Ill post it up, the first race will be fun, the 2nd wont be. Lol

Last edited:

JayplaySS

I got a Cobra
Established Member
Yes a modded Mach should be a better race than a C5Z.

Im wondering how a the 2000 Z28 will do. Lt's, 3:73's and a converter should really well but it really doesnt feel that fast, we will see. He should trap around 111-113 so it should be fun. Now with the cam/TSP tune, we are talking closer to 118+. :thumbsup:

THAITED

Established Member
I get what youre saying and this is getting so over done, but I wouldnt think someone would plug in a 31" tire combo just to show an SRT8 would run 180mph since they are for forums and the sharing of info, but who knows we do have some crazy people.

As far as being off on the speedo, oh yes but not by 25mph. Im sure these days w/o a speedo cable/gear they are much more accurate than you can imagine. On one of the chats with the SRT engineers on Chargerforums, they actually said it was closer to 1.xx of accuarcy on track tests with the Evics, they made it as accurate as possible so the guys can run 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 miles and top speeds with a great degree of accuracy. But actually who cares, you with 562rwhp should be able to run the number too, though where are you gonna try? :rockon:

This was also a friendly invite for Machs to have fun, this is my wife's car, not my 2.8KB Cobra.

I wouldn't try that though, there's no place to run safely, beside my body kits might fall off,lol :rockon:

GLHS837

Established Member
The only gear option the Diablo offers you right now is 3.06, so no, you cant just set a ratio you dont have. And, if you did, the car wouldnt just run with a bad speed displayed, it would go into limp mode.

You cant get higher gears, they dont exist. You cant reprogram for higher gears, Diablo says they wont offer other options until other gears are available.

Now, about speedo accuracy, get with the times, modern systems are much more accurate. I know a lot of folks tested the Neon SRT-4s speedo at 145-155 against GPS, and it was always dead nuts on. So has any test of the SRT-8s speedo.

THAITED

Established Member
The only gear option the Diablo offers you right now is 3.06, so no, you cant just set a ratio you dont have. And, if you did, the car wouldnt just run with a bad speed displayed, it would go into limp mode.

You cant get higher gears, they dont exist. You cant reprogram for higher gears, Diablo says they wont offer other options until other gears are available.

Now, about speedo accuracy, get with the times, modern systems are much more accurate. I know a lot of folks tested the Neon SRT-4s speedo at 145-155 against GPS, and it was always dead nuts on. So has any test of the SRT-8s speedo.

Not to pull the :bs: but it would be nice with a radar gun or GPS. Just my 2 cents. When you go past 140 mph aerodynamics comes to play. You can have all kind of HP but if your car has a lot of drag, it will go against you. The Viper and Vetts and other exotic cars were designed for that, not my car or 300's.

How many miles (10 miles strech) will it take for the car to reach 180 mph. How about the HP needed to overcome the 4000 lbs car to reach that speed. CAI and a tune are not going to cut it, at least IMO. That's all I'm saying, it just doesn't make sense to me.:shrug: However, I do believe the 300's, Magnum and Charger are 12 seconds cars, no doubt about that.:rockon:

Last edited:

415ZR1

Established Member
Speedometer readings do very per car but my ZR-1 is very close at 185mph, gps verified and also 1 mile challenge verified. It matches within 1-2 mph what the gear charts say I should be doing at that speed.
The variance comes from the tires growing larger at those speeds.

Jayplayss,
I just like to race. I think your right, a stock Z06 would not be a good match for your car but when I saw that you lived in Ft. Lauderdale I couldn't resist. Send me a PM and we will hook up at Towers sometime.

GLHS837

Established Member
Not to pull the :bs: but it would be nice with a radar gun or GPS. Just my 2 cents. When you go past 140 mph aerodynamics comes to play. You can have all kind of HP but if your car has a lot of drag, it will go against you. The Viper and Vetts and other exotic cars were designed for that, not my car or 300's.

How many miles (10 miles strech) will it take for the car to reach 180 mph. How about the HP needed to overcome the 4000 lbs car to reach that speed. CAI and a tune are not going to cut it, at least IMO. That's all I'm saying, it just doesn't make sense to me.:shrug: However, I do believe the 300's, Magnum and Charger are 12 seconds cars, no doubt about that.:rockon:

Hold on. So, we've discounted and dismissed the arguments against the gears and the programming. We're now down to not believing the speedo. Id say if its accurate to 173, which is what Car and Driver found (and if the speedo was off, I think they would have mentioned it, dont you?) then Id say its likely accurate out to the limits of the car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ance/chrysler_300c_srt8_road_test+page-4.html

Whats left?

JayplaySS

I got a Cobra
Established Member
Hold on. So, we've discounted and dismissed the arguments against the gears and the programming. We're now down to not believing the speedo. Id say if its accurate to 173, which is what Car and Driver found (and if the speedo was off, I think they would have mentioned it, dont you?) then Id say its likely accurate out to the limits of the car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ance/chrysler_300c_srt8_road_test+page-4.html

Whats left?

Good read man. Ive seen the stock ones run everywhere from 171 to 176. Our 300 gets a bit better milage than that too. Right around 15 city and 21 Hwy, excelent for the weight/power. :read:

Users who are viewing this thread