Police Sgt. Kills Wife Then Himself.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The hardest thing about shit like this is you'll never really find out why but I agree with your wife - you can't try to apply logic where there wasn't any.

I get it DSG. I hear it from my wife all the time stuff like this happens. I'm an analyst and it is my job to figure things out. So, I'm wired that way.

As mentioned, some things cannot be condoned or justified, but understanding why or how is possible in my opinion.

I just think if we have certain pieces of information we may be able to understand the situation a little more clearly. Then again, when information is missing we do not understand the complete situation.

I was watching American Sniper the other night. I still do not understand why Eddie Routh killed Chris Kyle. Then again all that I know is Routh had PTSD, but that doesn't explain why it happened, but I'm missing pieces of information.

Also, the Uvalde mass shooting. I have not studied it, so I'm missing pieces of information and therefore, I do not understand why that POS killed kids.

I see your point in trying to apply logic where there is none, but when you have most or all of the information I believe you can formulate an understanding. Just my point of view. I believe my wife would see it your way as we have not talked about this particular case just yet.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
crazy crazy stuff...i am curious, was this friend on any sort of anti depressants/prescription drugs...i feel like this is always the link for such irrational/baffling/crazy behavior. many of these mass shootings have had this as a common denominator.

missed this but this is on point and a great point…. Very serious possibility.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea apparently not very squared away at all. Considered that option as well. Im sure she told him she wanted a divorce but maybe ur right maybe she said she was seeing someone else.

It does appear whatever she told him put him into an uncontrollable rage but if he went into his room and got his gun and killed her I would get it. But he planned that all afternoon....... Thats disturbing!

uncontrollable rage indeed… talk about seeing red and blood lust.

He literally lost his mind. Something sent him over the edge…

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Cops are going nuts in general lately. Call it PTSD, or madness from the media and public constantly hating on them. IDK.

Just had a CPD guy in chicago blow his brains out in a parking lot yesterday.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Motive?

Its not just cops bro…. Everyone is on the edge… these past couple of years have been specially rough on people

Badass_Forever

Established Member
Just think, you go to work everyday and put your life on the line. Getting shit on by everyone all day long about how you're a pig. Coming home and having your personal support group also tell you they don't love you anymore.

Do I think what he did was right? No. But I could totally understand how that could break a man.

Look what we do to our solders that we ship across the world, let them die in the streets like dogs. Now were doing the same thing to the police.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I guess some cant understand till you go through it. Nothing would ever get me that down and angry, and feeling like theres no other option. Thats batshit insane.

Theres always other jobs out there, always other women if you get dumped, other possessions, etc. The only thing that really matters in life are your kids if you have any. Do whats best for them. This guy just ****ed his up royally.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Well, cant really argue with that cause it just doesnt really add up. But, I will say this cause I was trying to wrap my head around why he shot her in the stomach cause that was an odd place to shoot someone when you can simply shoot them in the head. That was personal and he wanted her to suffer!

Maybe she said she was pregnant with some other dudes baby that she's been seeing? That is a possibility as to why he was so angry. Who knows?

He was only (4) months away from retirement but what does retirement really mean when you have no pension? IDN maybe he got heath insurance when he retired but BFD! Considering his wife took care of the mentally challenged daughter she would be getting the house and he would be out.

She would also get half of any investments he had over the past (25) years so in his mind maybe that angered him enough to end her life. Not something I would do but obviously its something HE would do!

He was also very tight with his money and narcissistic. All of that would not equal the punishment and brutality of the crime he committed tho. He gained nothing other than a few seconds of revenge for whatever hurt she brought upon him or was gonna bring upon him.

But I agree there is something DARK left out of this whole equation. It just doesnt make any sense but he planned that out and probably thought about doing it before.

IDN if I mentioned this or not but in the Police report the Trooper states this pertaining to the mentally challenged girl "When visiting her psychologist she mentioned that she thought her dad would kill her mom some day".

IDN where the Trooper got that info from but I can only presume that he said things to his wife that he would not say in front of his other daughter but would the mentally challenged one thinking she would not understand. I betting he made mention of killing her in front of his daughter more than once but not in those exact words.

Evil walks among us..... The only true sniff test was taken to his grave! Unless his wife sharred the conversation they had while taking a walk everyone is just guessing cause he didnt share his intentions or anger with anyone including his parents or his friend he seen shortly before the Murder.

What pisses me off tho is the media has made it a non-story essentially and im not sure why exactly. I think its because the suicide thing seems to water down the circumstances.

If he he didnt kill himself like a coward he would have been arrested for MURDER and the news trucks would have been in front of the Police Dept. he worked for and the home he committed the crimes in but because it was a Murder-Suicide it gets nothing and no one cares cause there is no one to prosecute now smfh.

Well, I women is DEAD and her child has to recall that memory for the rest of her life so **** him I dont care what smell passes what test at this point. He was just a Spinless Coward and thats how ill remember him as and I dont really give a shit why he did it or not cause it wont change the out come.

I have been refraining from commenting on this due to the nature of the tragedy, the closeness in friendship and the daughter witnessing the whole thing (That was a tough read about her trying to piece her mom back together).

But, now that you guys brought this up, I have to say, reading the original post, it did not pass the sniff test at all. HAS to be more to the story.

How does this level of aggression take place by simply asking for a divorce (shot in the gut, neck and face)?

And as you mention OP, they go home after a walk, he goes for a ride on his motorcycle, visits his parents, goes for a drink with his buddy and THEN comes home and commits such an act. That's premeditated, rage and vengeance all rolled up into one. That did not seem like an I'm so sad and hurt I cannot live without you kind of mind set to me.

Very tragic indeed and very hard to speculate what exactly took place based on the information in the original post alone.

My wife and I debate this all the time. She says it doesn't matter why it happened it cannot be understood because the person is crazy or not in their right mind. I say if we have all the information it cannot be justified or condoned, but we may be able to understand why it happened.

At this point and with the limited information I cannot understand why this happened. As mentioned, this story does not pass the sniff test at this time.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I honestly don't get why some would rather kill their spouse & then themselves than just get a divorce/separate. It's not super common but I read about it in the news often enough. Either a clinging ex or soon to be divorced person who snaps.
Well it is cheaper than a divorce...

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Well I mean… he’s a Cop so….

“So which occupation has the highest rate? That would be police officers. Studies have found that a minimum of 40 percent of families of officers have experienced some type of domestic violence.”

“Though data on police domestic violence is not only notoriously difficult to gather but also skewed by a culture of silence and intimidation, it suggests that police officers in the United States perpetrate acts of domestic violence at roughly 15 times the rate of the general population. Because officers tend to protect their own, domestic victims of violent cops often don’t know where to go.”

“a survey of 728 officers and 479 spouses conducted by Lanor Johnson (Johnson, 1991). She found that approximately 40 percent of the officers surveyed reported that they had behaved violently toward their spouse and/or children in the last six months and that 10 percent of spouses reported having been physically abused by their partner.”

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well, cant really argue with that cause it just doesnt really add up. But, I will say this cause I was trying to wrap my head around why he shot her in the stomach cause that was an odd place to shoot someone when you can simply shoot them in the head. That was personal and he wanted her to suffer!

Maybe she said she was pregnant with some other dudes baby that she's been seeing? That is a possibility as to why he was so angry. Who knows?

He was only (4) months away from retirement but what does retirement really mean when you have no pension? IDN maybe he got heath insurance when he retired but BFD! Considering his wife took care of the mentally challenged daughter she would be getting the house and he would be out.

She would also get half of any investments he had over the past (25) years so in his mind maybe that angered him enough to end her life. Not something I would do but obviously its something HE would do!

He was also very tight with his money and narcissistic. All of that would not equal the punishment and brutality of the crime he committed tho. He gained nothing other than a few seconds of revenge for whatever hurt she brought upon him or was gonna bring upon him.

But I agree there is something DARK left out of this whole equation. It just doesnt make any sense but he planned that out and probably thought about doing it before.

IDN if I mentioned this or not but in the Police report the Trooper states this pertaining to the mentally challenged girl "When visiting her psychologist she mentioned that she thought her dad would kill her mom some day".

IDN where the Trooper got that info from but I can only presume that he said things to his wife that he would not say in front of his other daughter but would the mentally challenged one thinking she would not understand. I betting he made mention of killing her in front of his daughter more than once but not in those exact words.

Evil walks among us..... The only true sniff test was taken to his grave! Unless his wife sharred the conversation they had while taking a walk everyone is just guessing cause he didnt share his intentions or anger with anyone including his parents or his friend he seen shortly before the Murder.

What pisses me off tho is the media has made it a non-story essentially and im not sure why exactly. I think its because the suicide thing seems to water down the circumstances.

If he he didnt kill himself like a coward he would have been arrested for MURDER and the news trucks would have been in front of the Police Dept. he worked for and the home he committed the crimes in but because it was a Murder-Suicide it gets nothing and no one cares cause there is no one to prosecute now smfh.

Well, I women is DEAD and her child has to recall that memory for the rest of her life so **** him I dont care what smell passes what test at this point. He was just a Spinless Coward and thats how ill remember him as and I dont really give a shit why he did it or not cause it wont change the out come.

Your points were clear and valid Brett. I agree with you 100%. I have not tried to analyze this case beyond the it doesn't pass the sniff test analogy. I have not thought of other reasons why he may have gone this far.

The part about her carrying another mans child is definitely a breaking point in my mind. Again, that doesn't justify or condone (not saying you mean that by any means), but it does become a factor in understanding why is my point.

When you add in the statement of the daughter, it's a factor concerning his abusive nature in the home and why his wife wanted out. Speaks to the "appearance" factor @DSG2003Mach1 made.

All I can say is this is a grave tragedy and since the two who know the details are no longer with us we may never know the specifics leading up to this tragedy (Unless, as you mentioned, the wife spoke to someone about this and that person has not come forward yet). Not sure an autopsy will be conducted, but that would reveal if she was pregnant or not and if he was the father or not......

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
this was still on my brain a little the other day. Makes ya think these overly squared away people do so in order to put up such a front that most people, at least on a casual basis, would never think to look behind the curtain. It's like in hindsight, maybe everything seeming a little too perfect is suspicious . Like the guy that tries waaaaay too hard to be funny

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i dont know what to say except that this is an awful story and im glad he didnt kill the daughter.

blownstang01

Established Member
I had a good friend take a shotgun into the woods a few months back and take his head off. Was the most laid back guy you would ever meet. Never in 25 years of knowing him had I seen him in any kind of anger, and that sentiment was shared by everyone who knew him. His dad passed a few years ago and he had been dealing with his Mom's failing health. Word is, he had been going back and forth with the state and insurance regarding health care and continually being turned down for nursing care.
Point is, no one understands suicide and why seemingly sane people do the things they do. I cannot, and never will understand why someone kills a spouse after a break up.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Well I mean… he’s a Cop so….

“So which occupation has the highest rate? That would be police officers. Studies have found that a minimum of 40 percent of families of officers have experienced some type of domestic violence.”

“Though data on police domestic violence is not only notoriously difficult to gather but also skewed by a culture of silence and intimidation, it suggests that police officers in the United States perpetrate acts of domestic violence at roughly 15 times the rate of the general population. Because officers tend to protect their own, domestic victims of violent cops often don’t know where to go.”

“a survey of 728 officers and 479 spouses conducted by Lanor Johnson (Johnson, 1991). She found that approximately 40 percent of the officers surveyed reported that they had behaved violently toward their spouse and/or children in the last six months and that 10 percent of spouses reported having been physically abused by their partner.”

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
That's a 31 year old survey! LMFAO.... It means nothing now.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Truly a horrible and tragic story. But I place a small amount of blame on the wife. Stated above in post #28, the daughter mentioned dad might kill mom some day, so that indicates the wife MUST have also known the dude was sick in the head and a ticking time bomb. In which case, she should have used some other (and safer) method to effect a separation/divorce, rather than just confront him with some devastating (to him) news. JMHO

One of my best buds was local cop, and went through same situation. Wife wanted out and started seeing another guy. My bud was totally distraught, but kept it together. A year later, he was using the online dating services and fighting off the girls. He was good-looking, in great shape, and in high demand with the ladies. It was quite a turn-around.... in a good way.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This story was reported on my local news tonight. Much of the details that you posted weren't included, Brett. His (captain?) said it was a total shock as he never showed any inclination to behavior like this.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Sure it does. Cops haven’t changed. And there are two other links for you to “fact check.”

The OP proves that.

bro… stop it. You sound like a racist, except replace blacks with copers!

this “EvRi cAp Is bAD, yO!” thing does not fit you…

Users who are viewing this thread