Polished Catback: Is it worth the effort?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never done it, but if I still had my Cobra I definitely would have polished the tubing. Makes so much impact from the rear. Well worth the effort IMO. Even nicer if you have chrome wheels. :)

oldmodman

Established Member
It's worth the trouble to do it right.

I'm lucky that I have a friend with a big fabrication shop. Belt sanders, 4 hp polisher, and all the expendables. And I have a 4 post lift in my driveway. I was able to pull off the entire system in the morning, drive over to his shop at lunch and be done polishing the entire system by 5pm.
And he even had a full air suit to wear while doing the sanding and polishing.
That suit and it's conditioned air supply made all that filthy sanding and polishing a pleasure.
Now, I just go over the entire system a few times a year with a handful of NevrDull

Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
i bought mine with it, but it has required up keep. i definitely think its worth it, but not if the car is a daily

IMG_0858.JPG
Damn! That's one sexy ass! :thumbsup:

zeus201

Established Member
Sean...it's totally worth it. My Stinger catback was in terrible shape and once I had it completely polished and installed it was worth the pounding my fingers took. Here are a few before and afters...the whole catback looked like the muffler portion:

DSC05783.jpg

DSC05784.jpg

DSC05788.jpg

DSC05791.jpg

DSC05871.jpg

Let me know if you want some help.

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
Sean...it's totally worth it. My Stinger catback was in terrible shape and once I had it completely polished and installed it was worth the pounding my fingers took. Here are a few before and afters...the whole catback looked like the muffler portion:

DSC05783.jpg

DSC05784.jpg

DSC05788.jpg

DSC05791.jpg

DSC05871.jpg

Let me know if you want some help.

That looks great. I figured I might as well polish the new catback pipes when they arrive before they are installed.

Yes, I would appreciate a few pointers. I will let you know when they arrive and I will have supply the necessary stuff
(sandpaper, polish, beer, food).

Thanks again

03snkvert

Established Member
That looks great. I figured I might as well polish the new catback pipes when they arrive before they are installed.

Yes, I would appreciate a few pointers. I will let you know when they arrive and I will have supply the necessary stuff
(sandpaper, polish, beer, food).

Thanks again

I was going to say, since this is new just take your time. I am with Ryan, if you need some help I am in.

What grits of Paper did you use Ryan?

I would say it would be a good Idea to work on a small area and perfect your technique before you do all of the Exhaust!

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
I was going to say, since this is new just take your time. I am with Ryan, if you need some help I am in.

What grits of Paper did you use Ryan?

I would say it would be a good Idea to work on a small area and perfect your technique before you do all of the Exhaust!

Well now that Corey is in I might as well get a keg (lol). I agree on mastering a small spot first. Probably more talking/drinking will get done than work- that is the plan.

sxecobra

Established Member
who's tits are those??? lol on your avatar.

Coming from someone who doesnt have the IRS catback...I would say its worth it. We did my friends on his cobra and when im driving behind him with my HID's on, it looks awesome!

shb5007

Established Member
I am removing my Magnaflow exhaust over the winter to install a new Borla kit.

Before I install the Borla kit I am thinking about polishing it.

What all is needed to complete the job?

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I'm going to have a local powder coater do my rear pipe's in a Chrome Finish.. I'll post up picture's. I did my borla cat-back 2 yrs ago, but I'm not going to spend that much time on my magnaflow set-up..Lol

Users who are viewing this thread