post your Jiffy Lube horror story/stories

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Just wondering what horror stories you guys have about going to Jiffy Lube. I have 2 of them.

1. Went there with my old '94 Cobra to get an oil change, I wait a few minutes and they tell me I'm all set and I drive home and when I get home I realize theres a pool of oil under the car in the driveway and a trail of oil coming all the way down the road and into the driveway. I threw an oil pan under the car and there was about half a quart left in the car. The idiot didnt tighten the oil drain plug all the way. I had to drive back to J.L. in my moms car and they gave me 5 new quarts of oil for free, they're damn lucky my engine wasnt destroyed.

2. The second event was more recently, brought my 300ZX (which I sold) to them to get an oil change, they talk me into doing a coolant flush too so I agreed. The guy drains all the coolant out and fills it up again and the second the coolant level reaches the top he puts the cap on and tells me I'm all set. (only now do I realize that you have to let the coolant seep down and then keep topping it off over and over again). My car was overheating like a MOFO almost immediately until I realized I needed to go back and have them finish the job correctly. Once again they're lucky my engine wasnt toast.

Ive had it up to here with the dumbass's at jiffy lube. I wont be going there ever again. Anyone else with me?

(i'm not making this thread just to bitch and moan, I'm spreading the word about how much Jiffy Lube sucks because they nearly destroyed two of my vehicles so I'm just returning the favor by reaching out the masses and spreading the word they suck ass and you take the chance of your vehicle being destroyed if you have service done there)

Last edited:

mnewxcv

Established Member
never go to jiffy lube. theyre crooks and incompetent no matter which one you go to. theyll deny all fault and blame it on you. theyll lie and say you need things done that you dont. The local midas around here does a decent job and the guys there are straightforward and honest. I went there for a while until the local ford dealer offered $20 oil changes.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Just Rolled Into the Shop

Had a friend take his car to Just Brakes. I dont know if that's a national chain or not and don't care to look, but they pulled the ole call him every hour or so after he dropped off his car to tell him this needed replacing etc, ended up being $3300.. on a pos 01 Taurus with all kinds of body damage, looks awful. Besides new rotors and pads you cant tell they've done a thing. I know he got stiffed badly but he doesn't think so, it's unreal.

A horror story of my own. Took my truck to the dodge dealership where I bought it for an oil change(they threw in 16 free oil changes) . Almost a week later I was washing it and I look down and see just a shitload of damage to the passenger rocker that had been cosmetically touched up, overspray on plastic etc. The damage is unexplainable, but that is the only place where it could of taken place.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Ive never gone to those places when I have access to all kinds of speed shops and local shops that are honest and hard working. Plus I once went into a jiffy lube and they wanted 100ish for a full synthetic oil change. Im only talking Mobil 1 here too.

turnpike_cruise

4.10's FTMFW
Established Member
This is mainliy why I do my own work, especially oil changes. Something so vital does not get trusted to half-ass mechanics.

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
At work a guy had his Alpina BMW Z8 towed to us because he took it to jiffy lube for an oil change. I guess those idiots over tightened the drain plug and cracked the oil pan, they then proceded to fix it with JB weld. Well the weld only lasted so long and the car had to be towed to the dealer. So the car needed a whole new oil pan. Now not only the J.L. guys are idiots but the owner is too. Why would u bring an extremely rare $150,000 dollar car to a jiffy lube for an oil change!? They probably didn't put the correct oil in it either.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's not Jiffy Lube, but I took my DD (Lexus ES300) to a Midas. I was pretty close to the oil change interval and I had a pretty far trip to go on the following weekend, so I took it in for a synthetic blend oil change for $30. I drove around for about a week and realized I was leaking quite a bit of oil. I checked the oil and the level was just below the cross hatch area. I grabbed the oil filter and it was very loose. I made a full turn to tighten it down.

I called and bitched and they offered me a free oil change. Next oil change, the manager told me that the guy who did the first change was from a different store and it's no surprise he screwed up.

Glad I didn't burn up the motor. Will definitely never take the Cobra to one of those places...

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Worst experience with a jiffy-lube is seeing their gorillas out by the road waving a sign for oil-changes. Never actually used one.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Never dealt with any of these turn and burn places. I've either done shit myself or had a reputable speed/performance shop work on all my shit.

Dragu1a

Established Member
I went to a Monroe in my old beat up '95 blazer for an oil change. They took the liberty of "inspecting my brakes" and when they went to check the rears, they said the entire brake assembly just fell apart and I needed to replace everything. Told me it was almost $2,000. Told them to eat sack, truck wasn't even worth that much. Told them to put it back together and I'll come pick it up...drive it back up to my home town mechanic and let him scrap it out.

Turbosnake281

Established Member
if you dont do your own oil changes and coolant flushes, and trust anyone that is in a rush and does not give a flying shit about your car you are all pain dumb

REPCobra10

Established Member
Oil changes and other simple maintenance are all easy enough to do. That's why I do those things myself. I just don't trust anyone else to do it for me because I know that I'll do it right, but I can't say the same thing about someone else doing it for me...

oldmodman

Established Member
Same thing as black4vcobra.

A customer was pulling out of my driveway and I saw quite a bit of oil dripping down from her engine. I got her to stop and I put her car up on my lift. Her filter was so loose it would wiggle when you touched it. And she had had her oil changed that morning. And she had already lost a little over a quart.

I just don't understand how someone can not tighten the oil filter. It's not as if there were a hundred different things the guy has to do.

ViciousJay

Established Member
used to work at one in highschool, i dont know where to even start about the horror storys and shit we pulled

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Neighbors Daughter brought their Honda Pilot to one a few weeks back and noticed a strange smell while driving home. When she got home and parked the car it immediately went up in flames. I understand it was from them not putting the oil fill cap back on. Burnt the car down and the front of their house!

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Neighbors Daughter brought their Honda Pilot to one a few weeks back and noticed a strange smell while driving home. When she got home and parked the car it immediately went up in flames. I understand it was from them not putting the oil fill cap back on. Burnt the car down and the front of their house!

Have they gotten their legal going?

Driver500

Established Member
2 stories from turn and burn places.

One time they didn't replace the oil filter cap on my car when I was in high school. Drove around for a few days and was on the way to work when the oil light popped on. I pulled into the gas station to check the oil and found none on the dipstick. Lucky I was in town and literally 20' from a gas station when the light came on and not somewhere in nowhere east Texas on the way to Houston.

2nd story is when Jiffy Lube didn't tighten the drain plug on a girlfriend's S2000. She was driving down the interstate with the top down and sun behind her so she never saw the oil light. Jiffy Lube bought a new motor on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread