post your Jiffy Lube horror story/stories

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Had my oil drain plug stripped out from them over tightening. I got lucky and threw in a new plug and new threads acted sorta as a tap and fixed it. Usually I don't have to worry about the oil filter being loose, the gorillas they got waving there signs must tighten the oil filters there too. I've crushed one trying to get it off of the block. Needless to say I don't go there anymore and I do my own work since I have my own place now. I cringe when I HAVE to take the cobra in for service. I try and do all that I can before I let someone work on her.

racermatt

Established Member
I used to run a oil change type shop and I can tell you first hand you should not go to them!! The type of people we had working for us was the problem, but for minimum wage you get what you get.

The best story I remember is this. We did an oil change on a girls truck and I sold her a fuel system cleaning. I am out in the shop taking care of a few things and I hear them crank this truck. I notice after a moment or two it begins to start making more and more noise. I walk over to it and the oil cap was laying on the core support. I causally reach in and turn the car off. By now it was getting pretty loud. You guessed it, no oil! Truck ran for at least 5 minutes or so without a drop. Needless to say I fired 2 people that day. Customer never knew, owner threaten to fire me if I said a word...

Watch out!!

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Neighbors Daughter brought their Honda Pilot to one a few weeks back and noticed a strange smell while driving home. When she got home and parked the car it immediately went up in flames. I understand it was from them not putting the oil fill cap back on. Burnt the car down and the front of their house!

how is that lawsuit going?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
One of my friends works at a pep boys (in the sales dept) so he tells me all the horror stories that happens in the service dept.

I think this was the best one though

Two cars in for new tires, a focus and a caliber. The caliber has aftermarket rims on it, the focus does not. Who ever was in charge of this whole ordeal, put the caliber's rims on the focus, and the focus left. The focus rims, however, didn't fit the caliber at all. So now they have a caliber sitting on the lift, with no wheels. If that isn't bad enough, they tried finding any of the paperwork for the work they did on the focus, but came up blank, so they had no idea who to call or go after. I believe the caliber was sitting on the lift for a week before they figured something out.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
I do all my own work, cuz I'm smart enough not to go to one of those places. Haha.

chris mac

long time lurker
Established Member
i was driving by a Pep Boys one day and a car was pulling out of there. i was a couple cars behind them and noticed their wheels were wobbling. i pulled up next to them and had them pull over and told them about their wheels. they turned around and wobbled back to the Pep Boys.

SCMOKN

Established Member
I have never taken any of my cars to them or any oil change place. I have had many as my customers in previous jobs. I have seen piles of the engine belly covers or what ever you call them. I have been there when a car has been towed back in because the drain plug was not installed and burned up the engine.

I dont trust to many people when it comes to working on my cars.

coposrv

Established Member
i was driving by a Pep Boys one day and a car was pulling out of there. i was a couple cars behind them and noticed their wheels were wobbling. i pulled up next to them and had them pull over and told them about their wheels. they turned around and wobbled back to the Pep Boys.

Hahaha I don't know why but the wobbling back to pep boys had me loling.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Years ago, I would take my first car, a 1984 Crown Vic, to the local Jiffy Lube.

One day, they had a special needs kid working there, and his job was to vacuum the interior, and wash the windows. I had just washed the car, it was spotless, and this kid proceeds to drip window cleaner all down the side of my car and the manager starts chewing the kid out. The kid just about started crying, and the manager offered me five dollars off.

I felt so bad for the kid, and was so pissed at the manager for yelling at him, I took the $5 and gave it to the kid as a tip, and told him it was OK, he did a great job. Put a smile back on his face, and I told the manager I would never be back, and haven't since. This was in 1986.

ModularFan

Established Member
Years ago, I would take my first car, a 1984 Crown Vic, to the local Jiffy Lube.

One day, they had a special needs kid working there, and his job was to vacuum the interior, and wash the windows. I had just washed the car, it was spotless, and this kid proceeds to drip window cleaner all down the side of my car and the manager starts chewing the kid out. The kid just about started crying, and the manager offered me five dollars off.

I felt so bad for the kid, and was so pissed at the manager for yelling at him, I took the $5 and gave it to the kid as a tip, and told him it was OK, he did a great job. Put a smile back on his face, and I told the manager I would never be back, and haven't since. This was in 1986.

Good on you man!

venomouscobra98

Established Member
When my wife and I first got married she had a 2000 grand am 4cyl. 5 speed. I was out of town so she went to Jiffy Lub to get her oil changed. In the process convinced her that she needed an engine oil flush cause there was water in her oil. And charged her 150 bucks and all it was, was condinsation on the bottom of the oil cap.

paulsauto

Established Member
Man I know of some horror stories too but not all shops care only about the bottom line me and my wife try to help as much as we can and I would be the only one touching a modified car I'm just sayin find a local gear head mechanic go talk to them and let them be your mechanic, lord knows I wouldn't turn down the business ,burnout!

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I actually work for a firestone. It's one of the few if not the only place I'd trust to touch my cars. We get a TON of screw ups from many shops around here and end up saving people. One thing I can say for FS is that they tell you to just take care of the customer first and foremost. If we mess something up, it's taken care of no questions asked.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Sounds like I need to visit one when I need a new engine...

When I used to manage one (not a jiffy lube) that was the problem. Everyone would bring us shit box cars and then blame us for anything they could... Window motors, radios, other stupid shit that was totally unrelated to the oil change. Then they would get pissed when you wouldn't fix it.

People would bring us cars with a bad rod knock or slipping transmission and then blame us for it, even though it came in that way.

If you don't know how to do it yourself, learn. Most of the people who work at these places are in high school or college. Dealerships aren't any better. They'll hire the same people to do their oil changes too.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Years ago I had a free coupon for an oil change--took the DD since no one touches the "good" cars. I picked it up and all the lights were on in the dash---went in and told the guy--told me is was that way. BS i told them. We put it back up in the air and they had crimped a wire and it shorted things out. After finally admitting it they offered me a few more free oil changes--I refused.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I wasnt able to "do it myself" one time as I was on LEAVE but my truck needed an oil change. I supplied oil and filter, and watched em like a hawk.

My horror story, the fricken bill.

I figured a $20.00 spot at most, wrong. Lol could have been worse I guess

Users who are viewing this thread