post your Jiffy Lube horror story/stories

Sprayed2v

Established Member
I don't have an oil change story but, after I installed my cc plates I took it to a Harris Tire to get it aligned, I was in the bay with the guy watching him when my phone rang. Turned around and answered it and I swear to God as soon as I turned my back and walked out of the bay the dumb ass took a hammer and screwdriver and started hitting the passenger side cc plate to try and move it up. As soon as I heard the tapping I spun and ran over to catch him in the act. None the less I got a free alignment and they passed my car for inspection. Still pissed me off. Now I have chip marks on the cc plate

svtaddict

Established Member
i was getting an oil change at sears and the dumbass left the radiator cap barely tightened to the first notch! had to pull over on the way home and wait half an hour they tried saying its because my fluid was dirty. funny that was the first time its ever overheated and they just admitted they left it loose because they checked the fluid. suckiest part is since sears sold to some asian company good luck trying to get customer service on the phone.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I don't have an oil change story but, after I installed my cc plates I took it to a Harris Tire to get it aligned, I was in the bay with the guy watching him when my phone rang. Turned around and answered it and I swear to God as soon as I turned my back and walked out of the bay the dumb ass took a hammer and screwdriver and started hitting the passenger side cc plate to try and move it up. As soon as I heard the tapping I spun and ran over to catch him in the act. None the less I got a free alignment and they passed my car for inspection. Still pissed me off. Now I have chip marks on the cc plate

That would've set me off, did you rip someone a new one?

FordGTGuy

Established Member
I worked at a pretty good Jiffy Lube and the system we used which was a array of oral commands between the techs and visually inspections throughout the process pretty much eliminated the chance of a horror story from happening.

When we did our Jiffy Lube Challenge we finished a full service in around 3:30~ (oil change, vacuum, checking fluids, checking drivetrain fluids, cleaning windows and informing the customer of the vehicles condition.) We messed up on three things for a score of 97, we missed some change under a floor mat and forgot to say a two things correctly but everything was done perfectly to the vehicle.

The messed up part is that the Jiffy Lube they went to before us left the car with overinflated tire pressure and low oil, although they finished a few seconds quicker, needless to say the testers were pissed.

I do my own stuff but I'm proud to say I've never let someone leave without making sure everything was done right. Jiffy Lube requires for the lower bay technician to call the command "system sealed bay #" after the car is started and the lower bay technician has watched both the oil drain plug and oil filter for leaks. After this you perform a inspection where the upper bay technician visually watches the lower bay technician check all plugs on the vehicle and oil filter and repeat any conditions found on the vehicle including under vehicle fluid levels, amount of fluid added and type. At the same time the lower bay checks everything they say out the status including the oil filter number.

For Instance:
UBT "Quality Inspection Bay 1"
LBT "Oil level verified, Rear differential plug tight, transfer case plug tight, front differential plug tight, hand on PO-21 oil filter tight, wrench on oil drain plug tight, no unusual conditions, quality inspection complete Bay 1"

Jiffy Lube has a pretty damn good system if it's done right by competent employees.

Last edited:

Shreddingrubber

Established Member
I don't get it. The quick lube places here have great reputations. In fact I've never heard anything bad about any of them.
However there was a brake shop here that was pretty shady. You take it in for an oil change and they do their free "inspection" then they of course find safety issues and attempt to bully you into having their shop do the work,since they cannot legally let you leave with the obvious "safety" concerns.
My mom needed an oil change in an old ford minivan. They found brake issues. I said don't let them do anything. I took it to my guy,on a tow truck. He goes over the front brake issue. It looks as though someone took a hammer and pounded the rotors which then made the rotors garbage. It's funny because the only way to damage the toto like that is to take off the tire and start swinging.
The other shop wanted 2 grand to fix them,I bought 2 rotors from the wrecker at 15 a piece and paid my buddy a case of beer to install.
The shady shop burned down not long after. I guess karma is a bitch

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I only have one story, and it was actually more comedy than horror.
I took my 1988 5.0 in for a quick oil change before its winter storage.

The guys got the go ahead from below to start adding oil, so they started pumping oil from the machine and all of a sudden an explosion of oil shot out of the engine and sprayed the two techs leaning over the engine bay.
They didn't know what had happened at first, so I asked them how many drain plugs they had pulled?
I already knew the answer before I asked it, and of course they said just one.
Turns out they had only pulled the upper drain plug which holds hardly any oil. :lol1:

For those that don't know, these 5.0 engines have an upper and lower drain plug.

Last edited:

ademily87

Established Member
if you dont do your own oil changes and coolant flushes, and trust anyone that is in a rush and does not give a flying shit about your car you are all pain dumb

I actually dropped my pick up off at a place back home for a radiator flush that was $75. A hour or so later I get a call from one of the mechanics that works there and tells me that a "radiator flush" is them just draining out the radiator and adding new coolant and asked if I really wanted to pay 75 bones for that. Needless to say I was very grateful and came and picked my truck up and said I'll go elsewhere.

But I woulda been the dumb guy that paid for a radiator flush and didn't get one if it weren't for the one honest mechanic. There's still hope after all for society!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

96project

Established Member
When I worked at pepboys in high school, one of my friends worked in the shop. He was a idiot. Everything from leaving funnels in peoples valve covers to one time when they were pushing all the "over night" cars back in the bay from the parking lot; they were pushing a car and it was a stick shift. So, he's sitting in the car steering with the door open while other people push. The people pushing get tired and the car starts to roll back and when he tries pressing the brakes, he pushes the clutch. (He didn't know how to drive a clutch so he was clueless) Low and be hold there was a parking lot light pole right beside him and when the car was rolling back with the door open he crinkled the door back all the way to the front fender. I still make fun of him to this day.

Another time I was helping him bring in all the over night cars and he went out to bring in a honda with a remote start on it. Well he thought that was the coolest thing ever so when he pressed the button to start it, it shot forward and hit the pizza restraunt that was across the bushes. Sombody had "jerry rigged" the remote start with a stick shift car and it was left in gear and it competely started and idled forward through the bushes.

He didn't work there much longer.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I only have one story, and it was actually more comedy than horror.
I took my 1988 5.0 in for a quick oil change before its winter storage.

The guys got the go ahead from below to start adding oil, so they started pumping oil from the machine and all of a sudden an explosion of oil shot out of the engine and sprayed the two techs leaning over the engine bay.
They didn't know what had happened at first, so I asked them how many drain plugs they had pulled?
I already knew the answer before I asked it, and of course they said just one.
Turns out they had only pulled the upper drain plug which holds hardly any oil. :lol1:

For those that don't know, these 5.0 engines have an upper and lower drain plug.

I would have loved to have seen that that oil geyser. Probably scared the crap out of them both. LOL!

Jiffy Lube

Hi everyone - we are reaching out on behalf of customer service here at Jiffy Lube International. We value your feedback and if you want to share more with us please e-mail us at [email protected]. Thanks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've never been to a Jiffy Lube. But I was in Arizona and took our SUV to a shop to get the alignment checked and the guy told me I really needed new brakes. I asked him why he thought that and he said my pads were wore out and my rotors needed to be replaced. I told him that was odd since I had done the brakes the previous weekend. He looked at the ground and walked away.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
you thinnk maybe they just hate nice cars and sabotage them on purpose or maybe they just don't car about other people cars....shitty stories, sorry to hear guys

oldmodman

Established Member
Hi everyone - we are reaching out on behalf of customer service here at Jiffy Lube International. We value your feedback and if you want to share more with us please e-mail us at [email protected]. Thanks.

I was wondering when this would occur. I guess it just shows how important SVTPerformance REALLY is as an opinion maker.
For every poster there are a thousand readers nodding their heads up and down in agreement. And a hundred Jiffy Lube managers cringing at every new horror story.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Dunno. Need to ask my neighbor for an update.

Funny since I recalled seeing a brand new 4 Door Tundra at my neighbors house yesterday and it never dawned on me. Basically house was fixed and they got full replacement value for their car. She was just lucky no one got injured as she had 3 kids in the car when this happened.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member

Lol! How about a little focus on training your employees better!

Funny as I bet this person has a full time job with google analytics searching for the companies **** ups.

Users who are viewing this thread