Pre-Workout Supplements...

BriansZ

Established Member
10+ years ago I used Ultimate Orange pre-workout and liked it. If it's still around it isn't the same as the old stuff. I was warned to stop using it because it could cause a positive test and I was in the military at the time. It seems jack3d is popular these days.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not implying this is you, but so many people think this supplement or that supplement will take them to the next level, and while there are ones out there that def help, the bottom line is you have to put in the work and be consistent or supps are worthless too regardless.

KILLER

Most important advice here - a preworkout will give you great energy in the gym, but isn't going to do jack shit on its own. If you want to get big, you need to lift big, eat big, and sleep. Make sure you're eating plenty (1g protein per pound of lean body mass, 500-700 cals over maintenance if you want to make decent lean gains ), and taking a multi/fish oil. That's all you truly need, and why everything else is called a supplement - it supplements your foundation of diet and training.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
They give you energy and most of them have creatine.

I question how healthy they're for you though. Some of them contain 1,3-Dimethylamylamine which is a questionable stim to supplement with.

Regardless of what you use, they need to be properly cycled.

FEARED

Established Member
I use 3. Jack3d, M.1.R, and White Flood. I bounce between all of them because I adapt to them after a week or so of straight use.

I preffer M.1.R to all of them, but they all get the job done.

TheMrMach

Established Member
Jack3d is good stuff, just picked up my next tub for my next cycle, new flavor White Blue Raspberry...always gives me that feeling like I'm going 100mph lifting heavy, and everyone around me is in slow mo.

boatcop1

Established Member
If your on here asking about Pre-WO's I will assume you have a general idea of what you are doing and spare you the daddy adviseon diet and nutrition.

I have tried alot of them and here is my opinion.

Controlled Labs - White Flood, taste great, great energy,ok pump

USP - Jack3d, Taste Ok, Insane energy almost angry, ok pump

Gaspari - Superpump250Max - good taste, constant energy, incredible pump

BSN - NO-Xplode, good tast, ehhh energy, almost no pump = garbage

LG Science - ASGT, good taste, great energy not over stimmy, rediculous pump.

I have tried a few others but i have always favored White Flood and ASGT. There are others out there and others hitting the market every week. I would suggest reading reviews over at Anabolicminds.com.

Just be sure to cycle PWO's. I usually do a month on and a month off. Good luck.:beer:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Most important advice here - a preworkout will give you great energy in the gym, but isn't going to do jack shit on its own. If you want to get big, you need to lift big, eat big, and sleep. Make sure you're eating plenty (1g protein per pound of lean body mass, 500-700 cals over maintenance if you want to make decent lean gains ), and taking a multi/fish oil. That's all you truly need, and why everything else is called a supplement - it supplements your foundation of diet and training.

This!

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
If your on here asking about Pre-WO's I will assume you have a general idea of what you are doing and spare you the daddy adviseon diet and nutrition.

I have tried alot of them and here is my opinion.

Controlled Labs - White Flood, taste great, great energy,ok pump

USP - Jack3d, Taste Ok, Insane energy almost angry, ok pump

Gaspari - Superpump250Max - good taste, constant energy, incredible pump

BSN - NO-Xplode, good tast, ehhh energy, almost no pump = garbage

LG Science - ASGT, good taste, great energy not over stimmy, rediculous pump.

I have tried a few others but i have always favored White Flood and ASGT. There are others out there and others hitting the market every week. I would suggest reading reviews over at Anabolicminds.com.

Just be sure to cycle PWO's. I usually do a month on and a month off. Good luck.:beer:

Im assuming your saying to cycle your "pre-workout" not PWO (post-workout)?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Caffeine is all you need.

Eat GOOD and a lot, sleep, lift hard and you will see results.

Yeah, I agree. Obviously eating right, sleeping and lifting are way bigger factors than any single supplement.

However, a preworkout supplement does offer some benefits over a cup of coffee assuming you're doing everything else right. BCAAs, creatine, Beta alanine and support for added focus with 1,3 Dimethylamylamine.

Having all of those in one supplement is nice. :beer:

RedDemon91

Established Member
I'm currently on Jack3d and I must say I don't see what all the hype is about. I normally have a high tolerance to pre-workout supps so I took the full 3 scoops on the first day. Didn't get the "incredible I can flip a car" kind of feeling, it was just a little more than average kind of workout. I'm still taking it but only half the dose. As soon as I take it my face and lips become really itchy, as in like it feels like a million ants are crawling under my skin, which I heard happens to a lot of people and I'm not sure if that's safe or not. Bang for your buck I've had the best luck with NO Shotgun, but that's MY body. Everyone has different reactions to everything, OP your best bet is not to listen to anyone on here and just experiment for yourself. There's only one way you find out.

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
Caffeine is all you need.

Eat GOOD and a lot, sleep, lift hard and you will see results.

x 2. I'd rather use the money for Whey Protein or a good Meal Replacement. I take Lean Mass Complex from Prolab 2-3 x per day. Good stuff...

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I take Lean Mass Complex from Prolab 2-3 x per day. Good stuff...

$45 for 20 servings....You can make your shakes for 1/3 that with the same nutritional content. Oats + whey + natural peanut butter + a blender. :beer:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Yeah, I agree. Obviously eating right, sleeping and lifting are way bigger factors than any single supplement.

However, a preworkout supplement does offer some benefits over a cup of coffee assuming you're doing everything else right. BCAAs, creatine, Beta alanine and support for added focus with 1,3 Dimethylamylamine.

Having all of those in one supplement is nice. :beer:

I do agree with you. However, you will not get a significant source of BCAAs or Creatine in a single pre-workout along with caffeine and Beta Alanine as well. You have to look into different supplements for that.

For Creatine, plain and simple Monohydrate is the way to go - 5 grams.

BCAAs, I get them from my vitamins (opti-men) as well as my hydrowhey protein.

Caffeine, pills or whatever gets you pumped up.

Beta Alanine, just pure Beta Alanine (mix with protein), cheap as shit as well.

All the junk pre-workouts may advertise they have those things, but it isn't anywhere the amount your body needs to make gains. Supplement companies (many of them) are not regulated by the FDA. They can put whatever the hell they want on their 'ingredients' list.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I do agree with you. However, you will not get a significant source of BCAAs or Creatine in a single pre-workout along with caffeine and Beta Alanine as well. You have to look into different supplements for that.

For Creatine, plain and simple Monohydrate is the way to go - 5 grams.

BCAAs, I get them from my vitamins (opti-men) as well as my hydrowhey protein.

Caffeine, pills or whatever gets you pumped up.

Beta Alanine, just pure Beta Alanine (mix with protein), cheap as shit as well.

All the junk pre-workouts may advertise they have those things, but it isn't anywhere the amount your body needs to make gains. Supplement companies (many of them) are not regulated by the FDA. They can put whatever the hell they want on their 'ingredients' list.

I understand what you're saying, regular whey protein has BCAAs.

Not all preworkout formulas have propitiatory blends though. Some do list all the ingredients used and their dosages. If you're using a big named company product I'm sure it's been tested by someone on one of the bodybuilding forums for potency.

I don't go by what they advertise, but I definitely do have better workouts with them. As I said before, I question the long term health risks with these products so I do cycle them and notice a difference compared to plain coffee.

It's not like they're that expensive that I would go out and make my own preworkout supplement by buying the individual ingredients in bulk either. I don't use many supplements but pre-workout ones have become somewhat a staple for me.

Last edited:

mystical

Established Member
I recently picked up some NO-Xplode to see what all the hype was about. I feel that I've wasted my money. I honestly feel no difference and it tastes horrible. I get better results from the $10 Creatine Walmart sells.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I recently picked up some NO-Xplode to see what all the hype was about. I feel that I've wasted my money. I honestly feel no difference and it tastes horrible. I get better results from the $10 Creatine Walmart sells.

That stuff didn't do anything but make me nauseous. :xpl:

Users who are viewing this thread