Price increases.

Graboid

Established Member
Just wondering around reading old post on different forums and triping out on old prices.
My examples are
Aluminum driveshafts for mid 90 model stangs - $150-300
Headers are something else that all my old fox body buddies trip out on when I mention how much a set runs now days.
Anyone else got some examples to make us all feel like DAs for paying what we do now lol?

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
the DS are IMO the most retarded mark up out there, like you said, DS for a fox is less than $300, DS for a coyote is near $1000.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Cat backs? Remember back when a set of 2 chamber flows sounded great on a fox (although they drone like crazy) and cost 250 bucks?

I paid 200 bucks for the DS on my fox years ago, although I've heard they have gone up in price a good bit since.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Its cuz we have to give the aftermarket the finger and tell them no

I agree it's all crap, I mean seriously the best axle back is from ford and the cheapest... When the hell was a factory part the way to go and cheapest..., I'll wait

Last edited:

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
Ported heads and cams are basically the price of a sc, $200 for a strut tower brace is crazy, I paid 350 for my cai while my neighbor got one for his 2v for 80, and his is POLISHED

Scotty_5.0

Established Member
i feel your pain about the price difference. there has been a mark up on quite a few different things with our body style from just a year or so ago. for instance, i bought the BOSS Alcantara steering wheel for my 5.0 last fall for like $189 and if i'm not mistaken it's over $300 now. The k-springs have gone up almost $50 due to popularity i suppose.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting thread. I honestly never compared the "old" to the "new". Now I know why many keep their older Mustangs.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I say that all the time. Inflation has hit the world of aftermarket Mustang GO parts. Of course in 1983 I bought a new loaded GT (no t-tops) for $11,400.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's labor costs that have really shot thru the roof. I just installed headers and I had gotten gotten a verbal quote from the owner of a nearby performance shop for the cost of install. All he could tell me was "at least $600". That's for a $500 part...

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
back in 2003 when i was lookin at a Cervini Cobra RR hood it was 350...same hood is 595 now wtf?

Last edited:

CPRsm

Look to your gov guys. Every time I look I'm getting hit with some other fee or permit. Taxes ar going to go up again soon also. Insurance is going up "at least 25%." They don't even know how much yet, they just know they're going to bend me over.

Fords axle back being cheaper makes perect sense. Most companies do a run of 25 to maybe 100 on something like that. Ford does it by the thousands. Which is why the driveshafts for foxes were always so cheap.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
back in 2003 when i was lookin at a Cervini Cobra RR hood it was 350...same hood is 549 now wtf?

Yep I really want there 03-04 Cobra hood that address that gap on the front bumper.

Its 658 without shipping...

That's a bit rich for a aftermarket hood

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Labor and overhead shop rates are insanity. Fabbers, cnc operators, welders all making good money to do that type of work.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I've noticed that as well. A stainless brake line kit (fr+r) for my 2000 was $95, according to my old spreadsheet. It's $197 for the Boss. ...Why?

streetassasin

Welcome to Gaptown, TX
Established Member
I always thought they charged more for parts for newer cars cause they figure if you can spend $40k on a car you can spend $900 on headers where you really wont find someone to spend $900 on headers for a $3000 fox body

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
I always thought they charged more for parts for newer cars cause they figure if you can spend $40k on a car you can spend $900 on headers where you really wont find someone to spend $900 on headers for a $3000 fox body

The difference is, you're not dropping that $40k in one suitcase, you're making a monthly car payment and then adding on a set of headers that by all right cost the same amount as two months of car payments just doesn't make sense.
With the Fox body, you can drop $3k in one suitcase and still have plenty left over for the other parts. It's rational to think "cheaper car, cheaper parts" but it makes more sense to think that those cheaper parts have been produced for years so the profit has already paid for the R&D put into creating them so it's just profit...........I applaud those companies that have decided on a price decrease because it's all profit---makes it a whole easier for us to spend money.
These set of $1000 headers don't make much sense; the same techniques are going into making them; thye aren't CNC bent or anything.
CNC stuff is just crazy; the program and machinery are ridiculously expensive out the gate so that's where the overhead and high initial price on that stuff seems to come from.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Look to your gov guys. Every time I look I'm getting hit with some other fee or permit. Taxes ar going to go up again soon also. Insurance is going up "at least 25%." They don't even know how much yet, they just know they're going to bend me over.

Fords axle back being cheaper makes perect sense. Most companies do a run of 25 to maybe 100 on something like that. Ford does it by the thousands. Which is why the driveshafts for foxes were always so cheap.

Very true. Economies of scale play a large role.

Users who are viewing this thread