Pullied cobra vs 460 rwhp H/C/I ls1 camaro

BivDBO

Car audio guru
Established Member
Anything can happen on the streets. It sounds like you have a good running car, and his has some problems. Kill'em with the good driving!

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
weird.

I am a MS3 car, and no bottle I beat my two friends pullied cobra's...have the videos to prove it.

The thing with the MS3 cam is, you cant be scared to revv the car out to 6800+rpms...if the MS3 owner doesnt do this, he is losing alot of ground.

BayareaSS

Established Member
weird.

I am a MS3 car, and no bottle I beat my two friends pullied cobra's...have the videos to prove it.

The thing with the MS3 cam is, you cant be scared to revv the car out to 6800+rpms...if the MS3 owner doesnt do this, he is losing alot of ground.
That just means those cobras probably don't run very good cuz you only trapped 115-116 which is not enough to beat a good running pullied cobra. I trapped 116 with only 370hp and The OP's cobra would of pulled me easily.

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
That just means those cobras probably don't run very good cuz you only trapped 115-116 which is not enough to beat a good running pullied cobra. I trapped 116 with only 370hp and The OP's cobra would of pulled me easily.

like I have said before...I have only been to the track on street tires and everytime I have ran, I had serious traction problems....On a drag radial I believe I could trap higher...

also, the cobra's were trapping 117-120 with 460rwhp...

I have beat ALOT of cars on the streets that are faster then me on paper....1/4 mile wise and trap speeds....

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg7uByakOkI&playnext_from=TL&videos=3rPCc_5NbTs"]YouTube- 03 cobra vs 01 ss vs apr stg3 s4[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCNMx5HQiZ8&playnext_from=TL&videos=s-GBEOn1k_U"]YouTube- 01 ss vs 03 cobra vs 03 cobra[/nomedia]

I seriously have about 15-20 videos on you tube of me beating cars on the streets that have ran/trapped higher then me at the track.

Last edited:

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
weird.

like I have said before...I have only been to the track on street tires and everytime I have ran, I had serious traction problems....On a drag radial I believe I could trap higher...

I have beat ALOT of cars on the streets that are faster then me on paper....1/4 mile wise and trap speeds....

YouTube- 03 cobra vs 01 ss vs apr stg3 s4

YouTube- 01 ss vs 03 cobra vs 03 cobra

I seriously have about 15-20 videos on you tube of me beating cars on the streets that have ran/trapped higher then me at the track.

I do too. What's your point dude? Do you ever read the entire post? I said i should've lost and i also still say ANYTHING CAN AND WILL CONTINUE TO HAPPEN ON THE STREET. The funny thing is Bayareass trapped more than you all motor vs your trap on the bottle with significantly less hp.:coolman:

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
I do too. What's your point dude? Do you ever read the entire post? I said i should've lost and i also still say ANYTHING CAN AND WILL CONTINUE TO HAPPEN ON THE STREET. The funny thing is Bayareass trapped more than you all motor vs your trap on the bottle with significantly less hp.:coolman:

my whole point to it was clearly the guys over exaggerated 460rwhp numbers....maybe even his mods. It might have been a cam only car for all you know.

a 460rwhp f-body shouldnt lose to a pullied cobra...thats what Im saying....but the streets is the streets and anything can happen.

and yah, I dont expect good traps blowing the tires off to the 1/8th mile, lifting 6 times just to keep a straight line and coming back to the staging lanes with everyone telling me my tires were hazing smoke all the way down the track. I only sprayed a 100 shot at the track once, and it was completely pointless, but still had a 121 trap. I have only been to the track 4 times in the 2 years I have owned it...and two times was when it was stock/full exhaust. I guess you can say im a Newb at the track...I dont take the track to heart sense I live on the streets and frankly, could give a shit less about the track.

Last edited:

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
my whole point to it was clearly the guys over exaggerated 460rwhp numbers....maybe even his mods. It might have been a cam only car for all you know.

a 460rwhp f-body shouldnt lose to a pullied cobra...thats what Im saying....but the streets is the streets and anything can happen.

and yah, I dont expect good traps blowing the tires off to the 1/8th mile, lifting 6 times just to keep a straight line and coming back to the staging lanes with everyone telling me my tires were hazing smoke all the way down the track. I only sprayed a 100 shot at the track once, and it was completely pointless, but still had a 121 trap. I have only been to the track 4 times in the 2 years I have owned it...and two times was when it was stock/full exhaust. I guess you can say im a Newb at the track...I dont take the track to heart sense I live on the streets and frankly, could give a shit less about the track.

I talked to the guy and saw the heads and te fast bro lol. The only thin I didn't see was te dyno sheet but I could care less. He wanted to run and I gave him a run. Like I said numerous time before I know I should've lost.

BayareaSS

Established Member

YouTube- 03 cobra vs 01 ss vs apr stg3 s4

YouTube- 01 ss vs 03 cobra vs 03 cobra

Like I said... Those cobras you raced don't run good. A 460hp cobras should trap way more than 117-120. Should easily trap over 120

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
Like I said... Those cobras you raced don't run good. A 460hp cobras should trap way more than 117-120. Should easily trap over 120

I have seen multiple pulled cobra's run at my local track, and just like these ones, they ALL trap 120 and under...its not just these guys.

I actually have yet to personally see a pullied cobra trap higher then 121.

obZidian

Established Member
I just see tons of cam'd cars making right at 400 or even less, sure a ported FAST and great set of heads will help a ton, but to say 460rwhp is "easy" isn't really true, especially on 91 octane out in California.

LS3's only make like 515-520 with ported intakes and good sized cams and you're telling me the smaller LS1 makes almost the same?

Given the race, and it doens't seem like the other guy missed a shift, he just wasn't making the power he claimed

The difference from a LS1 (346ci) to a LS3/L92 (376ci) isn't much when you're comparing the shortblock. However, the heads make all the difference.

Stock bottom end, H/C Ls1's or a LQ9 with L92's and a cam somewhere in the 230 duration @ .050 will/should make with a hiccup 460rwhp. LS1's have, with the right setup, pumped out 500rwhp SAE but that takes some great heads and just a well balanced package.

So 460rwhp is really easier than you might think.... 500rwhp on the other hand isn't as easy.

Same thing with the Ls7, 580-590rwhp is almost routine N/A on pump, stock bottom end, but 600rwhp+ (just 10-20rwhp) is tricky. :)

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
the difference from a ls1 (346ci) to a ls3/l92 (376ci) isn't much when you're comparing the shortblock. However, the heads make all the difference.

Stock bottom end, h/c ls1's or a lq9 with l92's and a cam somewhere in the 230 duration @ .050 will/should make with a hiccup 460rwhp. Ls1's have, with the right setup, pumped out 500rwhp sae but that takes some great heads and just a well balanced package.

So 460rwhp is really easier than you might think.... 500rwhp on the other hand isn't as easy.

Same thing with the ls7, 580-590rwhp is almost routine n/a on pump, stock bottom end, but 600rwhp+ (just 10-20rwhp) is tricky. :)

+1

corysmach1

Established Member
weird.

My bro has an MS3 with full bolt ons. He bangs gears at 6800. I walked him hard (5 cars) he has a 100 shot but since the cam install we cant get it to work.

BayareaSS

Established Member
I have seen multiple pulled cobra's run at my local track, and just like these ones, they ALL trap 120 and under...its not just these guys.

I actually have yet to personally see a pullied cobra trap higher then 121.

Must be a bad cobra population over there lol. It's said when a 460hp car can't trap over 120. Hell your car should be about 120/121 trap.

obZidian

Established Member
My bro has an MS3 with full bolt ons. He bangs gears at 6800. I walked him hard (5 cars) he has a 100 shot but since the cam install we cant get it to work.

Well, with stock ls1 heads your bro's car should be in the 118mph range... with heads in can go to about 120-122mph.

With a 100shot, cam only with full race weight he should give you a sick run, if it's working that is!

corysmach1

Established Member
Well, with stock ls1 heads your bro's car should be in the 118mph range... with heads in can go to about 120-122mph.

With a 100shot, cam only with full race weight he should give you a sick run, if it's working that is!

Yes anything can happen on the street....I mean I barely beat an F-Body that made 440rwhp but it had 4:10s and went 11.30 at 122...but yet I have beat H/C vettes that trap 124....there is to many variables on the street. Driver,tire,gear,air,roll and thats why I love it.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
I just see tons of cam'd cars making right at 400 or even less, sure a ported FAST and great set of heads will help a ton, but to say 460rwhp is "easy" isn't really true, especially on 91 octane out in California.

LS3's only make like 515-520 with ported intakes and good sized cams and you're telling me the smaller LS1 makes almost the same?

Given the race, and it doens't seem like the other guy missed a shift, he just wasn't making the power he claimed

What day and age are you stuck in? LS1s and tuning software has come a long way. LS1 can and will make 450-460rwhp all day long with ported budget heads/cam, LTs and FAST intake. With a set of Trickflow 215s or AFR 205s with a ported FAST intake and "matching" cam, you see 480-500rwhp out of a 346ci LS1. Some have been as high as 511rwhp. Yes, a smaller LS1 will make almost the same.

The area under the curve is going to be drarastically different from an H/C/I LS1 and H/C/I LS3. The LS3 has the cube advantage, so it's going to produce 30-40lbs-ft more TQ across the board than the LS1.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
I talked to the guy and saw the heads and te fast bro lol. The only thin I didn't see was te dyno sheet but I could care less. He wanted to run and I gave him a run. Like I said numerous time before I know I should've lost.

Was the intake manifold removed from the heads? If not, all you saw was "243". Which means 1 of 2 things, either they were stock 243 heads or they were ported 243 heads.

I can see this happening, he bought the heads off the forums or ebay thinking they were Stg 2.5 LS6 heads, but infact they are stock ls6 heads and he's running the setup untuned, which explains why his car was running like sh!t OR Your 4 car lead was actually 2 cars. 1 1/2 - 2 cars is more reasonable because you have the area under the curve adavntage which gets you the jump on the hit and the shift from 3rd to 4th puts you in the meat of your powerband gaining you more ground as compared to his 10.5 compression with 7.XX DCR and 3.42 gearing. The MS3 is an rpm cam, it doesn't make respectable torque under curve making it soft in the low/mid-range, but a screamer up top.

I personally went from a MS3 114 to a smaller 234/238 111 cam on my C5, BIG DIFFERENCE! IVC is between 45-47, 3* more overlap and the DCR is between 8.0-8.5 as compared to the MS3s IVC of 52, 3* less overlap, and a poor DCR of b/w 7.0-7.5. This is why BIGGER is not always better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread