real test against 5.0

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
How much RWHP can you safely put through a coyote engine?

It can't be much more than 450-500 since its not a forged platform.

are you on mars? where have you been for the last three.five years. you question does not deserve a reply.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
How many miles on them? How many passes? That's not a reliable DD platform.

lol again call juston burcham. 804rwhp for an entire season NMRA ontouched shortblock. they can handle 700rwhp better than your iron block, two bolt main, cap walking terminator.

OP good kill. you should easily beat a 2011+ with your mods. should win every time.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
This.
It's called buyers remorse for the 5.0 crowd. Maybe they want to justify their purchase. Wanted something new and couldn't afford a GT500..why not pretend the 5.0 is better?

If this conversation were Mach 1 vs new 5.0 I could see their point. The terminator, however, is still neck and neck in the boxing ring (with even more potential for the money difference).

Your location is so fitting

Sick03Vert

Banned
It really started when the 07 GT500 came out, when it was putting up acceleration numbers only slightly better than the 03/04 Cobra, aw man it was crazy around here. Some swore the 03/04 was a better car the the 07 GT500.

Dang...I missed that party. :(

Well, my Dad bought a 2008 GT500 convertible about six months ago. I got to drive it home and in the 45 minutes I spent with it, I got the following impressions:

1. MUCH more room in the GT500.
2. MUCH smoother, more refined ride and interior
3. Super quiet with the factory exhaust...too quiet for me :-D
4. Doesn't "feel" as fast as my Cobra, BUT I can tell it moves out
5. I'd love to have one, but I don't know if I'd trade my Cobra for one

Hopefully I'll be able to have one some day. But to say the Terminator is an all-around better car? :lol1: I'd have to disagree with that.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
Dang...I missed that party. :(

Well, my Dad bought a 2008 GT500 convertible about six months ago. I got to drive it home and in the 45 minutes I spent with it, I got the following impressions:

1. MUCH more room in the GT500.
2. MUCH smoother, more refined ride and interior
3. Super quiet with the factory exhaust...too quiet for me :-D
4. Doesn't "feel" as fast as my Cobra, BUT I can tell it moves out
5. I'd love to have one, but I don't know if I'd trade my Cobra for one

Hopefully I'll be able to have one some day. But to say the Terminator is an all-around better car? :lol1: I'd have to disagree with that.

Right.

I love these threads for the entertainment factor. The thing is the 03/04 is a good car even to this day. The fact that there are better Mustangs made today doesnt change that at all. I know we'll disagree with this next sentence i type but, to me it comes across as some 03/04 guys try to prove that their car is still at the top of the food chain when its clear that its not. Is that a knock on the 03/04? Heck no. As I said its still a good car. Its like we're pitting the 03/04 and 5.0 against each other when we should be dcebating their perfromance against they're real comp........the Camaro. I guess since thats not much of a debate we eat our own :lol1:

Elwood617

Established Member
This.
It's called buyers remorse for the 5.0 crowd. Maybe they want to justify their purchase. Wanted something new and couldn't afford a GT500..why not pretend the 5.0 is better?

If this conversation were Mach 1 vs new 5.0 I could see their point. The terminator, however, is still neck and neck in the boxing ring (with even more potential for the money difference).

Ha, I can see your point with some of the 5.0 crowd. Especially if it is their first real performance vehicle.
Is the Cobra is a great way to go fast, absolutely yes. However, there are problems with trying to go fast in a terminator, at least on prepped tracks, and on road courses. So, they are not the best choice for all of us.
Seriously, comparing the 03-04 Mach 1 to the new 5.0? Are you just trying to be insulting? The Mach 1 would be a good comparison with the 3.7 in a straight line only. The Mach 1 would get killed in every other performance aspect by the new V6 Mustang.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
lol again call juston burcham. 804rwhp for an entire season NMRA ontouched shortblock. they can handle 700rwhp better than your iron block, two bolt main, cap walking terminator.

OP good kill. you should easily beat a 2011+ with your mods. should win every time.

Yeah, since the block failing on either of these cars has been an issue..
Now stock 5.0s hold HP better than a terminator. :lol1:

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Ha, I can see your point with some of the 5.0 crowd. Especially if it is their first real performance vehicle.
Is the Cobra is a great way to go fast, absolutely yes. However, there are problems with trying to go fast in a terminator, at least on prepped tracks, and on road courses. So, they are not the best choice for all of us.
Seriously, comparing the 03-04 Mach 1 to the new 5.0? Are you just trying to be insulting? The Mach 1 would be a good comparison with the 3.7 in a straight line only. The Mach 1 would get killed in every other performance aspect by the new V6 Mustang.

Read up. I said IF we were trying to say an older n/a 4.6L DOCH engine was up to par with the new 5.0 it would be a hands down loss towards the Mach 1. The way it should be compared is 2003-2004 n/a DOHC vs new 5.0 (in which the 5.0 is way better) and the 2003-2004 Cobra FI engine vs the 2013 GT500 (which the GT500 is far superior). Now when you Compare 2003-2004 Cobra FI engine to the Coyote...that's where the issues arise. I see the terminator engine as superior in strength and ability to mod without ripping apart, while the Coyote is a great N/A engine with good technology.
Make sense?

BTW, you're right The 3.7 is a great engine, comparable to the Mach 1. I barely walked away from one with my Mach 1. He was headers/bolt ons + 4.10s and I was intake/exhaust stock gears. The Mach still continued to walk him top end.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Right.

I love these threads for the entertainment factor. The thing is the 03/04 is a good car even to this day. The fact that there are better Mustangs made today doesnt change that at all. I know we'll disagree with this next sentence i type but, to me it comes across as some 03/04 guys try to prove that their car is still at the top of the food chain when its clear that its not. Is that a knock on the 03/04? Heck no. As I said its still a good car. Its like we're pitting the 03/04 and 5.0 against each other when we should be dcebating their perfromance against they're real comp........the Camaro. I guess since thats not much of a debate we eat our own :lol1:

:dw:.....I don't disagree with that. :shrug:

I really like my car, and it's great fun to drive, but the top of the food chain it is not. Now, if you're talking about top cars to be modified on a budget, I'd say it should be somewhere in the top section...but again I wouldn't say it's at the top. I think many times I must come across as thinking that the Cobra is the end all be all, and it isn't. I don't think it is at all. I just think it's a really fun car, with great mod potential, that sounds fantastic (one of the things I love the most about it..lol) and if need be can still hold its own pretty well out there.

I really wish we could talk Mustang vs. Camaro. Even if the 5th gen (6th now?) isn't much competition, I'd still like to bash'em. :D

Hopefully the infighting will calm down soon...the GT vs Cobra debate is just running out of steam. There's not much left to talk about, so here's hoping the topic will change. :beer:

2KBlackGT

Established Member

I really like my car, and it's great fun to drive, but the top of the food chain it is not. Now, if you're talking about top cars to be modified on a budget, I'd say it should be somewhere in the top section...but again I wouldn't say it's at the top. I think many times I must come across as thinking that the Cobra is the end all be all, and it isn't. I don't think it is at all. I just think it's a really fun car, with great mod potential, that sounds fantastic (one of the things I love the most about it..lol) and if need be can still hold its own pretty well out there.

I really wish we could talk Mustang vs. Camaro. Even if the 5th gen (6th now?) isn't much competition, I'd still like to bash'em. :D

Hopefully the infighting will calm down soon...the GT vs Cobra debate is just running out of steam. There's not much left to talk about, so here's hoping the topic will change. :beer:

internet-high-five.jpeg

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member

Let me just say that, even if that is true, I'd still take the Mach 1 for the sound alone. :rockon:

Nothing wrong with the 3.7L, I just love the rumble of the 4V motors. :beer:

Top of the food chain, no. More aggressive animal than a 5.0? YES.

The reason they made the new 3.7 so quick was so it could be right at the Mach 1's tail pipes and hear that beautiful exhaust tone. What great engineers we have at Ford. Very considerate.

Elwood617

Established Member

Well said, the Cobra is a great car. And that it is still potent and never to be taken lightly at the track. Very few gen 5 Camaros are worth a race. Not really a rivalry there. There are still some nasty catfish lurking though :)

Maybe when the 2015 comes out, it will be the shiny new toy, and we can all get along :)

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
I have seen newer S197 owners turn into what car will make me cool or how can I be better than others with my car enthusiasts more than car enthusiasts. You do not see this blatant disrespect in the Corvette community near as much, and that is sad because the Mustang community is a lot of fun outside of the drama.

Also I don't know what numbers many of you are reading but the 3.7 V6 Mustang will not kill a Mach 1 in every performance category.

Elwood617

Established Member
Read again, I said besides a straight line.
As to the mine is better that yours stuff. It seems to be an online thing. When I talk to other Mustang guys in the real world, there is none of this drama.

Last edited:

clean92lx

Established Member
(Re-posting for more exposure)Ok ok ok. Here it is, tomorrow night myself along with my buddy in his Gallardo and a couple other guys with a fast GTR and an even faster Evo will be meeting. Anyone and everyone in the Houston area that wants to join pm me for location and time details.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This should stir up the pot this Christmas eve. Though we are do for a re run, the terminator had a vacum leak that we later realized when he took me for a ride in the car after the runs.. He said the cars power was falling off at 5500rpms. Problems now resolved so out round 2 is set or Saturday or Sunday..

[youtube_browser]1-2F6Q09ZYE&feature=c4-feed-u[/youtube_browser]

I must say I did enjoy my first ride in a terminator, felt like a very fun car with the lower end grunt and whine of the s/c.

Second run I missed third and kept in it. The white 5.0 that tags in is a stock auto.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread