• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Rear diff cover shattered.

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by T800, Sep 14, 2012.

1. T800

T800 New Member Established Member

Hey guys. I will post in the Driveline section for a more in depth "WTF to do now" thread.

Just wanted to get opinions and comments on how common this is. Obviously has the BF brace on there. Did a 1st/2nd pull getting on the freeway...next thing I know a tweeker in a van is waving me down. "Hey man! You're leakin' oil outta our car!". Sweet.

I shoot a quick glance at the gauges and all seems well. No noises...no weird vibrations. I pull of the next exit and this is what I see:
    2012-09-13_18-04-18_407.jpg

I imagine this is where the majority off my fluid went, lol :
    2012-09-14_08-48-10_155.jpg

Is this a common deal? I know the covers are prone to cracking...but I expected the brace to help a little more than that. Car has CAI and pulley.

Thanks.

2. Fast Willy

Fast Willy Active Member Established Member

Yes its a common issue, but honestly I haven't heard of anything like this happening with the brace on, do you bushing and everything on the car or is everything else stock with how many miles?

3. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 Want to play a game? Staff Member Super Moderator

Replied over in driveline.

4. T800

Yeah, that was my reason for posting here. I haven't heard of this happening at all with the brace on. Everything else is stock...car is at 78k. Lots of freeway D/D duty.

I honestly don't beat on the car, maybe 3-4 burnouts total(tires are expensive), frequent pulls from 3rd and super soft launch 1-4th. But nothing that would have caused this. At least not IMO. I see people rag-doll these cars and not have the cover let go this bad.

Just wanted to put it out there that it CAN happen. Not blaming any product...stuff happens.

5. ac427cobra

ac427cobra FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM Staff Member Super Moderator

This can happen with an unstabilized IRS.

Stabilize the entire IRS assembly and install a new reinforced Ford Racing rear diff cover and don't worry about this happening ever again.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

6. Brutal Metal

Brutal Metal Well-Known Member Established Member

7. T800

8. cobracide

cobracide Active Member Established Member

That's why I've been saying IRS cover is a superior solution over the brace band-aid for a couple years now.

9. MurderedMach

MurderedMach Active Member Established Member

this happened in my last cobra. Needless to say I have a SRA in this car ;)

10. cobracide

To tell you the truth.. After I put the NT05s on this summer, the wheelhop disappeared. Wheelhop will be coming back due to climate changes. Damn I need to get my FTB bushings in...

As for SRA - Over my dead body. :p

11. T800

Yeah my Goodyear F1's wheel-hopped like crazy. The R888's are butter smooth. Same here as far as SRA and FTBR goes.

12. MurderedMach

MurderedMach Active Member Established Member

Handles just as good as it did before, plus I'm not terrified to drop the clutch now lol. My fear was preventing me from giving her 100%

13. cobracide

Whatever works for you is great, there are other solutions.

14. infidel0910

infidel0910 New Member Established Member

Can't wait to gain the strength of the sra, lose the IRS weight, and let her go hard.

15. ac427cobra

Hopefully you're only concerned with going in a straight line and never needing or wanting to turn the steering wheel. You should already know that your Terminator has a lopsided 57F%/43R% weight distribution. This is a significantly lopsided balance for optimal handling. Removing 100# from the ass end of the car makes this lopsided balance significantly worse. Just so you know. :read::idea:

16. Bdubbs

Bdubbs u even lift bro? Established Member

This is why I went with the LPW cover instead of a brace. Ford Racing one wasn't out at the time, but the lpw has proven itself. I also added ftbr diff bushings and there 9/16 subrame bolts. I plan on doing the rest of the bushings in the future.

17. SVTPete83

SVTPete83 Well-Known Member Established Member

I laugh my ass off when people say dumb stuff like this. The IRS in the termi was never actually designed correctly. It was a rear suspension designed to bolt up to the existing mounting points on the sn-95/fox chassis. It has inherent limits that a well set up sra does not. I have seen and ridden in a few Griggs cars that will turn circles around any termi car with an IRS no matter how well it's set up. Does a termi irs ride smoother? Hell yes. Does it handle better stock for stock? That's debatable. Which platform has more potential to turn better? The sra any day of the week. Ask anyone of the big suspension builders. They will tell you the same thing.

18. ac427cobra

I laugh my ass off when people think they're going to get ride and handling out of a SRA. Name me ONE SINGLE HIGH PERFORMANCE SPORTS CAR that currently comes from the factory with a SRA. :pop:

Oh wait, you can't!!!!! :lol:

19. savant

savant Death Dealer Established Member

2013 gt500?

20. SVTPete83

SVTPete83 Well-Known Member Established Member

Ya.. And name one person that knows about suspension who thinks the 2003 cobra IRS can be compared to the IRS In a world class sports car. You can't. Cuzz it doesn't compare. My point was that a set up sra will turn circles around your precious terminator IRS.