Rear end went out

iflybyu

Established Member
I have a 03 cobra an my rear end went out about a week ago I was going do some more mods to it an try for about 650 700 hp an I was wondering what would be the best way to go as far as rear end I would like to keep irs but I don't have to any advice helps thanks

hotcobra03

Established Member
I have a 03 cobra an my rear end went out about a week ago I was going do some more mods to it an try for about 650 700 hp an I was wondering what would be the best way to go as far as rear end I would like to keep irs but I don't have to any advice helps thanks

Get rear rebuilt..see full tilt boogie racing...has all the parts for irs beef up

mhinchley

Established Member
Get rear rebuilt..see full tilt boogie racing...has all the parts for irs beef up
Even he admits, if you are after a 9 or 10 second 1/4 mile car, sra is the way to go. You just have to be honest with yourself with what you want to do. I am sra, 31 splines, detroit locker, 3.73, welded tubes, girdle, tube supports, drag springs & air bag, adjustable shocks.........but this car is clearly not a road race car.........albeit is a 95% street car. Straight line is what turns my crank though.....both in the car and on the bike.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

You and about 4,000 other people have gone through this. The biggest problem is unstabilized IRS components mounted in soft compliant rubber. Rubber is the enemy of the IRS. Until you stabilize your entire IRS, expect failures to continue in the future.

If you have under 800 RWHP and your car is NOT a dedicated drag car, the IRS can easily can handle it as many of our customers have proven. If you have 900 or 1,000 RWHP AND your primary concern is drag racing and not how your car rides or handles on the street, then by all means a SRA will most likely serve your better. But 98% of the people I've talked to drive their car 99% of the time on the street. Why would you give up ride and handling 99% of the time for the 1% of the time you're drag racing?

See links in my sig for direction to our site. I'll gladly answer any questions you might have.

:beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Even he admits, if you are after a 9 or 10 second 1/4 mile car, sra is the way to go. You just have to be honest with yourself with what you want to do. I am sra, 31 splines, detroit locker, 3.73, welded tubes, girdle, tube supports, drag springs & air bag, adjustable shocks.........but this car is clearly not a road race car.........albeit is a 95% street car. Straight line is what turns my crank though.....both in the car and on the bike.

If your 95% street (something tells me 99.999% of the miles put on the car are actually on the street) then an SRA would not serve you as well as an IRS which has many advantages over an straight axle. A car that can go fast but also can corner hard is way more fun to drive then one that only purpose is going fast in a straight line. All that sophisticated linkage of the IRS is not there without a good reason plus you have the "cool factor" having an independent rear suspension in a Mustang :coolman: .............an SRA? :bored:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I purchased the FTBR 5001 kit and milled diff cover kit having it installed this week, I also purchased some DSS axles, although I been told the stock axles can handle the power I snapped mine so I decided to upgrade them too. Ive spoken to few guys with the FTBR kit on their cars and they seem very happy, met a guy recently in my area that has had his kit for 5 years and runs mid 10s with his set up.

I hope this kit is all I keep reading and hearing about it was costly $$$ compared to a built SRA.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
^^ OE IRS everything has gone bottom 10's in a vert.

That's impressive! I've herd of several people having luck with the OE IRS but I isn't one of them :mj: I have a friend with a 03 w/2.3 Whipple and snapped his at the end of the last season while on DRs. He has been warning me all year long about the oe irs, I think he jinxed me :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread