roush or kenne bell

SicShelby09

Banned
Guys, the bottom line that has been proven for many years is that the twin screw blower is going to run much more efficient than the roots blower all day long. Less heat, more boost at the same rotor speed. Its really a no brainer. I never understood this love affair with the roush TVS. I guess its a forum fad. One guy gets it and runs 10's with it. Then all the sudden its the end all be all. Trust me, you would do better with the whipple or KB. Those are facts, not opinions. You would be nuts to get the roush over the KB if they were the same price. /thread

chao5.0

Established Member
What is the best option for a manual car? A centri, since it does not produce torque at idle? Easier to launch a stick car on a centri?

Just curious.

Mike

i would imagine a centri is easier to launch. like beefcake said you pick the rpm you want to launch at and the centri will build power in linear form just like the engine does in N/A form. however there is no denying the instant tq you get from a pd or ts blower will help at the lower rpms if that is where you launch. i owned a procharged lt1 car 7-8 years ago, it was fun to drive that car because it would just keep building boost the higher the rpms got which made more power, eventually it would plateau but it made hooking up not that bad. another thing with a centri, because its belt driven it doesn't have the lag like a turbo with a manual trans if you drop out of boost. i personally like what JPC and beefcake have done with the novi 2200 and it will meet my goals and exceed my power levels.

corepwn

Established Member
Guys, the bottom line that has been proven for many years is that the twin screw blower is going to run much more efficient than the roots blower all day long. Less heat, more boost at the same rotor speed. Its really a no brainer. I never understood this love affair with the roush TVS. I guess its a forum fad. One guy gets it and runs 10's with it. Then all the sudden its the end all be all. Trust me, you would do better with the whipple or KB. Those are facts, not opinions. You would be nuts to get the roush over the KB if they were the same price. /thread

This is wildly incorrect information. You need to research blower efficiencies, until 16psi the TVS has higher efficiency than the KB or Whipple twin screw blowers. Above that things only begin to skew in the favor of the TS.

The reality is that on stock parts, no one is going anywhere NEAR 16 PSI with most running at average, 50% of that. Every single person running an Auto TVS car with DRs only and in say, less than 1500'DA have posted 10 second slips.

TS would be the better blower if you're for sure building a short block. But if at 12.5 PSI on a stock long block the TVS cars have already been 9.7s @ 140+, full weight stock converter.. you have to ask yourself, "How fast do I really plan on going?"

kevinp

Established Member
This is wildly incorrect information. You need to research blower efficiencies, until 16psi the TVS has higher efficiency than the KB or Whipple twin screw blowers. Above that things only begin to skew in the favor of the TS.

The reality is that on stock parts, no one is going anywhere NEAR 16 PSI with most running at average, 50% of that. Every single person running an Auto TVS car with DRs only and in say, less than 1500'DA have posted 10 second slips.

TS would be the better blower if you're for sure building a short block. But if at 12.5 PSI on a stock long block the TVS cars have already been 9.7s @ 140+, full weight stock converter.. you have to ask yourself, "How fast do I really plan on going?"

There is no argument that a TS beats up a roots pretty bad, but the TVS closes that gap some. On paper the TS compressors (same displacement) should be better but I have yet to see a 2.3 whipple run THAT much better than the TVS.

Same with the larger displacement KB cars, from what I have seen they havent really run much better with a stock engine/exhaust.

Its silly to argue that the 2.3 TVS will keep up with a 2.9 whipple or KB on the high end. But on the low end bolting on a bigger blower and spinning it slower isnt always the best way to go. If that were the case all they would have to make is one large street blower and just slow it down for smaller engines.

I've said it 1000 times, if you are planning to make big power down the road I would skip the PD blowers altogether. Centris have a very linear power curve, arent bolted to the top of a hot engine, lighter internal parts (less parasitic loss), can use an A2A or A2W intercooler, usually have more drive options and are fairly easy to tune. And if you are really serious you arent going to beat a properly sized turbo for efficiency.

As far as driving a stick shift and a positive displacement blower, they seem to work out OK in the GT500s. I drove a 2010 GT500 every day and it was a fun car, especially on the highway where you feel that power a little more than an auto.

hot1le

Established Member
Thanks for all the great replies. After much research and reading all these replies, I think that I am probably going to go with the Paxton 2200 kit. I know that down the road I will end up getting forged internals and really want to turn it up. The paxton will make all the power that I will ever want and I wont have to upgrade. I think with the money that I save on the centri kit I can get a convertor from circleD and run just as fast as the other kits until I get a forged shortblock.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for all the great replies. After much research and reading all these replies, I think that I am probably going to go with the Paxton 2200 kit. I know that down the road I will end up getting forged internals and really want to turn it up. The paxton will make all the power that I will ever want and I wont have to upgrade. I think with the money that I save on the centri kit I can get a convertor from circleD and run just as fast as the other kits until I get a forged shortblock.

perfect combo

kevinp

Established Member

good choice, never hurts to buy a kit you can grow into.

One guy on another forum ran 10s with the stock converter and Novi 2200, granted he was running higher peak boost but he did it. With a converter and hooking it up it should easily run mid/low 10s. Omar from LA made he switch from a TVS to a Vortech (not sure which head unit he is running) and he has been low 10s already @ 10psi with a converter/tires.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
good choice, never hurts to buy a kit you can grow into.

One guy on another forum ran 10s with the stock converter and Novi 2200, granted he was running higher peak boost but he did it. With a converter and hooking it up it should easily run mid/low 10s. Omar from LA made he switch from a TVS to a Vortech (not sure which head unit he is running) and he has been low 10s already @ 10psi with a converter/tires.

yep,

i went 10.8's outta the gate with a t trim, which is smaller than the 2200

hot1le

Established Member
Just curious Beefcake why did you go with the vortech over the paxton since it comes with a bigger head unit.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just curious Beefcake why did you go with the vortech over the paxton since it comes with a bigger head unit.

i started out testing vortech's pre production kit. JPC was testing the Paxton kit.

The head unit i have now is the "JT" trim, which is essentially the same as the Paxton head unit.

The paxton and vortech both cost the same, but you get the larger head unit with the paxton. That is what I usually recommend to my customers.

kingnut

Established Member
what SC has the most whine for the 2011+ 5.0? i know ive heard some whine on youtube videos, someone said the JLT intake makes it more pronounced.

Turbosixx

Established Member

Well said. The TVS has been proven to run 9's, which I plan on duplicating this year.

2FST-4U

Established Member
Well said. The TVS has been proven to run 9's, which I plan on duplicating this year.

hmm? you gotta go to the track to do that... i had the fastest tvs in baton rouge nobody has yet to go as fast as me with the tvs blower here in baton rouge. and i also have the fastest centri 5.0 car in baton rouge. and i dont want to hear you had to work or it was not cold enough to go to track. i race my cars and dont get on these forms and talk about it. all good here dont get mad just bring it to track i still love you man ;-)

p.s. you can also invite your buddy Don with his tvs car.

Last edited:

Turbosixx

Established Member
hmm? you gotta go to the track to do that... i had the fastest tvs in baton rouge nobody has yet to go as fast as me with the tvs blower here in baton rouge. and i also have the fastest centri 5.0 car in baton rouge. and i dont want to hear you had to work or it was not cold enough to go to track. i race my cars and dont get on these forms and talk about it. all good here dont get mad just bring it to track i still love you man ;-)

p.s. you can also invite your buddy Don with his tvs car.

We finished this via text messages in case anybody was waiting for responses.

Users who are viewing this thread