roush or kenne bell

grnenvy

Established Member
lol

I knew that would rattle your chain. :banana:
TVS cars haven't petered out there just rebuilding like u did and waiting to come back out. But really most of them just wanted a 10sec car that won't blow up not looking to go all out. Hey I liked your little showing in the mag reminded me of when I was in it 15 years ago.
Just busting your balls!

really? i have yet to see a low 9 second tvs car... Unless I missed it somewhere.

seems like the tvs' kind of petered out about a year ago. I haven't heard of one really picking up any e.t.'s in the last year

As far as "all out race cars", my car went [email protected] on the same drag radials and pump e85 that i drive on every day.

a/c, back up cam, epas, stereo, factory 6 spd auto, 3.55 gear, gets nearly 20mpg hwy on e85, ect....

It is as far from an all out racecar as any other 5.0 out there. I can hop in the car and drive it 2, 4, 8 hours without any issue.

Sunday before last I spent 2 1/2 hours in it.

Not to mention, the centri is probably 2/3 of the price

Turbosixx

Established Member
I considered the KB when I was looking for a supercharger, I chose the TVS because I wanted proven performance that looked OEM.

kevinp

Established Member
really? i have yet to see a low 9 second tvs car... Unless I missed it somewhere.

seems like the tvs' kind of petered out about a year ago. I haven't heard of one really picking up any e.t.'s in the last year

As far as "all out race cars", my car went [email protected] on the same drag radials and pump e85 that i drive on every day.

a/c, back up cam, epas, stereo, factory 6 spd auto, 3.55 gear, gets nearly 20mpg hwy on e85, ect....

It is as far from an all out racecar as any other 5.0 out there. I can hop in the car and drive it 2, 4, 8 hours without any issue.

I dont think the TVS is quite petered out yet, I'm sure with a decent short block, ported heads, aftermarket cams, good converter, suspension, wheels/tires, E85 etc it is capable of mid/low 9s in good weather with all the accessories. Tin canned and in great weather it could probably squeak in the 8s but I dont see anyone willing to gut a new car just yet to try :)

But there is no doubt ANY 2.3 PD is going to be limited power-wise, it can only move so much air efficiently and it will fall off a cliff, centris are no different when you need more CFM then it can deliver.

Your car is running well, no argument on that, but its a little beyond the realm of what most people are going to do with one of these just to post times on the internet (unless they are selling something, nothing wrong with that of course). I'm pretty sure you will be in the 8s, and its impresseive to have an 8 second street car with all the accessories. I never had one with air conditioning so thats pretty cool, I'm just glad to see cars progress in a good way over the last 15 years or so.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I dont think the TVS is quite petered out yet, I'm sure with a decent short block, ported heads, aftermarket cams, good converter, suspension, wheels/tires, E85 etc it is capable of mid/low 9s in good weather with all the accessories. Tin canned and in great weather it could probably squeak in the 8s but I dont see anyone willing to gut a new car just yet to try :)

But there is no doubt ANY 2.3 PD is going to be limited power-wise, it can only move so much air efficiently and it will fall off a cliff, centris are no different when you need more CFM then it can deliver.

Your car is running well, no argument on that, but its a little beyond the realm of what most people are going to do with one of these just to post times on the internet (unless they are selling something, nothing wrong with that of course). I'm pretty sure you will be in the 8s, and its impresseive to have an 8 second street car with all the accessories. I never had one with air conditioning so thats pretty cool, I'm just glad to see cars progress in a good way over the last 15 years or so.

My car is running the same head unit as the stock paxton kit. I am running the mildest stall that circle d makes for these cars. Lots of n/a guys run e85, so nothing extreme there either, I get it at Krogers while picking up groceries. Made those #'s and e.t.s on the stock 6 rib setup as well.

I am running a smaller pulley. Same thing a TVS can do.

The simple fact is, the centri's have so much more power potential, with much less heat.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I knew that would rattle your chain. :banana:
TVS cars haven't petered out there just rebuilding like u did and waiting to come back out. But really most of them just wanted a 10sec car that won't blow up not looking to go all out. Hey I liked your little showing in the mag reminded me of when I was in it 15 years ago.
Just busting your balls!

LOL @ I only wanted to go slow..... :banana:

j/k ;)

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I chose the Roush TVS because JDM had a Black Friday sale, 10% off their listed price. That was 2K cheaper than the KB or Whipple.

kevinp

Established Member
My car is running the same head unit as the stock paxton kit. I am running the mildest stall that circle d makes for these cars. Lots of n/a guys run e85, so nothing extreme there either, I get it at Krogers while picking up groceries. Made those #'s and e.t.s on the stock 6 rib setup as well.

I am running a smaller pulley. Same thing a TVS can do.

The simple fact is, the centri's have so much more power potential, with much less heat.

I'm not saying anything on your car is exotic, just not many others have went that far with any other blower.

I'm also not saying a 2.3 TVS is going to make the same power as a T-trim, thats my point.

All I'm saying is no one has really tried to max out a car with a TVS yet.

As far as the heat thing for what I do IATs are reasonable and I have no problems on 93, naturally if you push it harder its going to be a problem but its nothing that cant be easily fixed on a 1/4 mile car or a dyno pull.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm not saying anything on your car is exotic, just not many others have went that far with any other blower.

I'm also not saying a 2.3 TVS is going to make the same power as a T-trim, thats my point.

All I'm saying is no one has really tried to max out a car with a TVS yet.

As far as the heat thing for what I do IATs are reasonable and I have no problems on 93, naturally if you push it harder its going to be a problem but its nothing that cant be easily fixed on a 1/4 mile car or a dyno pull.

cool! ;)

kevinp

Established Member

I'm just as curious as everyone else what the little TVS will do maxed out with the right supporting parts. It wont run what a T-trim, 2200 Novi or D1SC will but it would be interesting to see. Just not interesting enough for me to to try it ;)

lawnmower22

Established Member

What is the drawback of a centri? There is always a trade off somewhere. I have always had turbo cars but it seems like the best option right now would be one of the twin turbo kits that are still in the R&D stages. Hellion has their kit out but it seems they are getting some bad press lately. Also if you look at Ken's kit, that looks like a lot of heat you are running right through your engine bay. Not to mention all the extra weight of a twin turbo set up. His results are awesome but it looks like a lot to add to a street warrior.

It seems like you get it all with the centri. Low IATs from a proper IC, without all the heat/weight from extra exhaust piping and turbine side of the turbo.

I'm sure I'm missing something here but thats why I posted this.

OP if this is cluttering up your thread just let me know and I'll delete it.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What is the drawback of a centri? There is always a trade off somewhere. I have always had turbo cars but it seems like the best option right now would be one of the twin turbo kits that are still in the R&D stages. Hellion has their kit out but it seems they are getting some bad press lately. Also if you look at Ken's kit, that looks like a lot of heat you are running right through your engine bay. Not to mention all the extra weight of a twin turbo set up. His results are awesome but it looks like a lot to add to a street warrior.

It seems like you get it all with the centri. Low IATs from a proper IC, without all the heat/weight from extra exhaust piping and turbine side of the turbo.

I'm sure I'm missing something here but thats why I posted this.

OP if this is cluttering up your thread just let me know and I'll delete it.

your going to get the guys to jump in and say low torque. which they really aren't, but that's what you will get.

on an auto car, the roots will 60' better for sure. on a stick car, not applicable, because you can launch whrere you want with the stick

Bud

Established Member
It is fun having debates about which blower is better for a 10 to possibly 9 second simple modded daily driver. Technology is awesome. All the PD's do make heat but that is what e85 is for. If I had known I was going to try and track my car so much I would have gone centri, but the PD is fun daily and should still get me beyond what I'm willing to tech my car for.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It is fun having debates about which blower is better for a 10 to possibly 9 second simple modded daily driver. Technology is awesome. All the PD's do make heat but that is what e85 is for. If I had known I was going to try and track my car so much I would have gone centri, but the PD is fun daily and should still get me beyond what I'm willing to tech my car for.

in the end, these cars work with a blower, any blower.

it comes down to COST!

no one can touch the vortech / paxton prices

whenever someone wants to go fast for cheap! call me :)

lawnmower22

Established Member

it comes down to COST!

I'm going to do more research and talk to you about these centris.

Do they still suffer from bracket deflection?

How about blower longevity vs a roots style?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I wonder where the TQ is on the twin screws? Look at lots of other roots or TS mod motor builds, the TQ is only a few ticks off the HP.. with these 5.0's it's down 100lb/ft. I think the turbo graphs have had the highest peak TQ. What's the deal, is it due to the high-revving nature of the engine?

kevinp

Established Member
your going to get the guys to jump in and say low torque. which they really aren't, but that's what you will get.

on an auto car, the roots will 60' better for sure. on a stick car, not applicable, because you can launch whrere you want with the stick

No one says a centri is low on torque (it makes more than NA down low), it just doesnt make as much as a positive displacement supercharger or a turbo.

And it just so happens that the extra low end power puts the factory torque converter is the right spot, along with the transmission gearing, to put one of these cars in the 10s with little effort and peak boost. Doesnt work like that on every car but it sure works on these.

kevinp

Established Member
I wonder where the TQ is on the twin screws? Look at lots of other roots or TS mod motor builds, the TQ is only a few ticks off the HP.. with these 5.0's it's down 100lb/ft. I think the turbo graphs have had the highest peak TQ. What's the deal, is it due to the high-revving nature of the engine?

I have little knowledge on the older mod motors (skipped that whole mess lol) but I would imagine these simply make more peak horsepower since they flow well and thats why the torque appears lower.

chao5.0

Established Member

it comes down to COST!

i will be calling once i get everything together and the money is available, to many supras are me that will drag my car. if things go well this year i want to have my car ready for TX2K13.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
What is the best option for a manual car? A centri, since it does not produce torque at idle? Easier to launch a stick car on a centri?

Just curious.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread