Samsung Galaxy S6

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Best phone I ever owned was a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 rooted on stock JellyBean. It was huge but the battery lasted DAYS and to be honest I never once encountered lag or even was annoyed by Touchwiz and I used to be a pure Google guy.

I'm probably under the impression that you don't use your phone nearly as much as some people so maybe you don't encounter these issues. Also running roms that have been detoxed, debloated will always run better than an OTA android from your carrier.

My phone has pretty much been my PC replacement for the past few years. I finally just picked up a new laptop last week. Before, I used my phone for EVERYTHING so I spent a lot of time on it. I can assure you, Toucwiz/Samsung phones do experience quite a bit of performance issues. The fact that it took FOREVER just to get a root on the S5, I didn't even bother with it once it happened. Then not having a unlockable boot loader made it worse. I think they have safe strap working on it but it just seems like too much work for a halfway of doing it. Quite a few people who had Verizon S5 got hit with performance/lag issues when they finally pushed out the update. I was stoked for the S5 to get Lollipop until they actually released it. My phone ran worse than it did in the past year of owning it. Did a complete wipe/cache wipe, etc. I almost started to feel as if it was intentional to get people to go out and upgrade to the new S6.

I loved my Note II as you though. Had that unlocked, rooted, ROM'd. Jellybeanz was the shit.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
My S6 edge is the same size as my old S5 but slimmer. I didn't hate the S5, it just wasn't any better than the S4 so not worth the upgrade. I'm not a power user, my phone isn't a computer replacement but I'm getting 24 hours out of a charge on the s6. imo the lag from touchwiz is minor if you're not a power user. I turn all the extra stuff off on my phone. Lollipop messed my phone up also, battery life was terrible even the way I run/set it up. Factory reset and supporting mods and the battery life came back to normal and the phone was good again. imo the S6 is a much better phone than the S5. I would say the jump is similar to the difference between the S3 and S4. I'm happy with the phone, and I'm one of the people who said I wouldn't buy it because of the lack of sd card support. I got the 64 gb version and put around 175 albums on the phone and I've still got 30 gb of room.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I burned up 3 SD cards between the Note II and the S5. After that, I just stopped relying on them anyways. I just like to use them to store all of the spotify playlists locally. I'm not sure what was killing them. They were all UHS-1 class.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
I burned up 3 SD cards between the Note II and the S5. After that, I just stopped relying on them anyways. I just like to use them to store all of the spotify playlists locally. I'm not sure what was killing them. They were all UHS-1 class.

like all solid state memory, sd cards, thumb drives, and ssd's all suffer from being written onto. writing onto them diminishes their life-span. they're great if you just use them to read files from; writing and rewriting... not so much.

jcthorne

Established Member
Have had my new S6 for a week now. This is my first Samsung device, having used HTC for many years. Just upgraded from M8. Never liked the Samsung devices in the past with thier cheap feel and garish user interface.

I am mostly pleased with the new phone. Runs fast, GREAT screen, UI is much closer to standard Lollipop. Love the new fingerprint reader. Our company requires the phones to be encrypted and a rolling password lock screen. They accept the fingerprint scanner so its as easy as pressing the home button and leaving my finger in place for another second, I mostly never even see the lock screen any more. That is a real improvement.

The one feature they dropped that has me bummed is they discontinued support for HDMI or MHL output. The phone will no longer integrate with my Kenwood head unit in my truck nor can I use it to play videos in a hotel room when traveling. That was the main reason I opted for the more expensive 64GB unit to have the storage for HD video. Mostly a wasted expense now.

Wireless charging is nice and works well and the feel of the phone in my hand is great. Its a keeper but it could have been a bit better.

ViciousJay

Established Member

Try a class 6

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Let's see some history:

Samsung's first smartphone -- Blackjack - released on 11/16/06
Apple's first smartphone - iPhone - released on 6/29/07

Who copied who?

Yeah.

Not even close, the Blackjack was still going after Blackberries. Apple copied nothing from it for a fully touch-interface like the iphone.

Though there was another phone that was fully touch before Apple, I dont recall what it was though. But like always with these other manufacturers that make this shit and dont put thought into it, it was cumbersome and they didnt put much thought into the interface like Apple did when they rolled out their version of a fully touch phone.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Not even close, the Blackjack was still going after Blackberries. Apple copied nothing from it for a fully touch-interface like the iphone.

The point is Samsung was in the smartphone market way before Apple. The release dates simply back up that fact.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I was simply stating the reason the gs series was better than the apple was because of the battery and sd slot. Yet today that is null in void since Samsung decided to copy follow the Apple design.

My favorite phone of all time was not even marketed as a phone.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I was simply stating the reason the gs series was better than the apple was because of the battery and sd slot. Yet today that is null in void since Samsung decided to copy follow the Apple design.

Its not a pro to need to have a replaceable battery because the one that samsung uses is crap after 6mo. Finally they are producing better batteries that dont need to be swapped, so I dont see the argument here on why not being able to remove your battery now that you dont need to as being a justifiable one.

And not a big deal on memory when most of the phones now are coming out with base 32gb, and 64/128gb upgraded ones. Sure a memory card is cheaper but most consumers dont need more than the base storage. Nobody is out there downloading Game of Thrones all seasons 1080p rips to their phones.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Could of fooled me. Every one I asked about iOS v android said you can't change the battery with apple and you don't have the ss card for memory and easy transfers. Except now that s6 can't do those two things it means nothing. I don't buy it!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Could of fooled me. Every one I asked about iOS v android said you can't change the battery with apple and you don't have the ss card for memory and easy transfers. Except now that s6 can't do those two things it means nothing. I don't buy it!

Just something diehard android fanbois used against apple that was always a stupid point of contention.

like "Android is better cause you can root it and then put in a new rom that fixes all the issues that the phone comes with to make android better, because customization brah!"........umm, thats not a selling point.

Right now having a removable battery is great because I need to swap it out every 3mo, but my phone is 3yo and will likely be replaced finally next month.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
And now they say it's better because it has a "quality build". This was my original point that andriod fanboys don't know what they are talking about.
I think the reference is to the build quality of anything Samsung has done previously, not in reference to Apple. Anybody questioning the build quality of an Apple device isn't paying attention. When people compare Apple and Samsung products, other than the os differences, the main differentiating point is build quality. Apple doesn't have that to lean on anymore.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9146/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-review

A really good and detailed review from Anandtech. Still not disappointed I'm my choice for the Nexus 6. I am loving this phone. It's just quick, smooth and awesome.

This is the review I wanted to see last week before I bought the phone. Reading it now, thanks for the link. Now that I have the phone, my focus has been more tips and tricks.

edit: After reading that, no wonder the phone feels so much better than the S5. It's practically twice as fast, and I'm still getting better battery life even without power saving mode.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I've never read their phone reviews but Anandtech is one of the best tech review sites out there. I always use them for computer part reviews. They are very technical in their tests which I want to see!

Users who are viewing this thread