Scratched my rear bumper bad.

97SVT#777

Established Member
I had to tow a buddy's trailer to take some scrap to the dump and he bought a new ball for the trailer. I had a hitch that uses a 2", but the trailer uses a 1 7/8ths ball. The old ball fit inside the bumper cover and didn't touch the paint but the new one did. Here is what happened.

DSCN0300.jpg

Is there a cover that I can buy to cover this? I really don't have the money to repaint the bumper. I've got touch up paint, but I don't think that will look good enough. Thanks.

boost_freak

Whipple Powered
Established Member
not sure if it will cover the whole scratched area but it's worth a shot. ford hitch plug cover. 1L54-17D754-ABW

plug.jpg

plug2.jpg

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
hey man how big is that thing... like inches across. i dont have any scratches but i do have a hole i dont like. think i might want one to paint to match the bumper :banana:

not sure if it will cover the whole scratched area but it's worth a shot. ford hitch plug cover. 1L54-17D754-ABW

plug.jpg

plug2.jpg

boost_freak

Whipple Powered
Established Member
I will measure it as soon as I find it. I don't have my truck here so I can't measure the one on it. I will post back when I find it.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
those plugs look pretty nice. i smoothed & painted mine. it'll cover most of that scuff, but really curious to know WHY you didn't use the reciever hitch right below the bumper?!?!

Smooth_15.jpg

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
You should see mine. My truck served post katrina cleanup time. It is after all a truck, how many SRT owners can say that? XD

I plan to get a rollpan as soon as these engine woes are gone though. Its 'Truck' days are over. Its time to become something else!

97SVT#777

Established Member
Yes, I did a stupid thing. I mentioned already, I have a reciever with a 2" ball. The trailer uses a 1 7/8ths. He had a ball for it that was circular at the point where it contacted my bumper and didn't scratch the paint or touch it, so I normally used that. When I went there, he told me he had lost that ball and bought another one. Rather than drive 20 miles back and then another 20 miles to his house to get the receiver to put the ball on ($15 in gas and time I didn't have at that point) I went ahead and tried it. Didn't work out. Enough with the destructive criticism and on to constructive opinions of options please.

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member

plug.jpg

plug2.jpg

most expys have that plug on the bumper,

hint!!! hint!!!;-)
if anybody wants to save a few bucks.:-D:dw::nono::nono:

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
Yes, I did a stupid thing. I mentioned already, I have a reciever with a 2" ball. The trailer uses a 1 7/8ths. He had a ball for it that was circular at the point where it contacted my bumper and didn't scratch the paint or touch it, so I normally used that. When I went there, he told me he had lost that ball and bought another one. Rather than drive 20 miles back and then another 20 miles to his house to get the receiver to put the ball on ($15 in gas and time I didn't have at that point) I went ahead and tried it. Didn't work out. Enough with the destructive criticism and on to constructive opinions of options please.

Well that explains that. From now on I might as well carry my hitch ball mount with me behind the seat since it has a nice padded case and you never know when you'll need it.

Users who are viewing this thread