Smaller rear brakes ???

clinton2003

Established Member
I know a buddy of mine had a set of 15" wheels that just barely didnt fit, he took a grider the the caliper and no issues. He daily drove his for over 40k miles.

thats a good cheap option, if its just barely not clearing.

088gt088

Established Member
I had to grind the hell out of my calipers on my ls1 Camaro with Holeshot wheels is it possible to grind the calipers to make your wwheels fit?

088gt088

Established Member
you never know until you try. And worst case you have to buy new calipers anyway

Screamin363

Established Member
Here is something that has not been mention, kinda out of the box...
You have 2 brake pads on each caliper, if you have an older pair of pads they are much thinner. Put the thinner pads on the outside of the caliper.

I know you should use common sense, don't throw a damn near metal on metal pad on the outside. But it will help with the amount of metal that you have to remove from the caliper for clearance.

Just an idea.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Here is something that has not been mention, kinda out of the box...
You have 2 brake pads on each caliper, if you have an older pair of pads they are much thinner. Put the thinner pads on the outside of the caliper.

I know you should use common sense, don't throw a damn near metal on metal pad on the outside. But it will help with the amount of metal that you have to remove from the caliper for clearance.

Just an idea.

I see your point, but it's the back of the caliper what hits the wheel :(

Screamin363

Established Member
You sure it's the back? How the hell does the back hit?

It usually is the front face of the caliper that rubs the wheel.

Can you snap a pic?

D.T.R

Established Member
Yeah it's the back of the caliper against the inside of the wheel. I guess the inside of these Billet Specialties are pretty small. They have like a lip inside the wheel which makes them even smaller. The wheel is about 13.1" big on the inside.

Benchracer

Established Member
Yeah it's the back of the caliper against the inside of the wheel. I guess the inside of these Billet Specialties are pretty small. They have like a lip inside the wheel which makes them even smaller. The wheel is about 13.1" big on the inside.

Its the front of the caliper too. If you get the top to clear, it will then hit the front. The billet specialty wheels have spokes that are completely flat so its hard to get a caliper to fit behind them.

Benchracer

Established Member
I had to grind the hell out of my calipers on my ls1 Camaro with Holeshot wheels is it possible to grind the calipers to make your wwheels fit?

Yes. Grinding will work.
4BE1A536-4604-41AB-9494-67ECCCF84953-2337-000001963A801CA4.jpg

D.T.R

Established Member
Its the front of the caliper too. If you get the top to clear, it will then hit the front. The billet specialty wheels have spokes that are completely flat so its hard to get a caliper to fit behind them.

Hmm.. i am not 100% sure of that. I tested the wheels on an SN95 car and they fit like a champ. If i use their rotors and bracket i'm hoping it'll work?

Benchracer

Established Member
Hmm.. i am not 100% sure of that. I tested the wheels on an SN95 car and they fit like a champ. If i use their rotors and bracket i'm hoping it'll work?

Trust me it will. But I have been looking for a different set of brakes that work so if you end up finding something, shoot me a pm.

D.T.R

Established Member
Yes. Grinding will work.
4BE1A536-4604-41AB-9494-67ECCCF84953-2337-000001963A801CA4.jpg
for some reason the picture was blocked and i'm now able to see it.
what size are those wheels? do they have like a "lip" on the inside of the wheel? that part is hitting my calipers.

Benchracer

Established Member
for some reason the picture was blocked and i'm now able to see it.
what size are those wheels? do they have like a "lip" on the inside of the wheel? that part is hitting my calipers.

Yes, they have that lip. They are 15x10 wheels. It is the top part of the caliper that hits the most. When you finally het enough off the top for the wheels to go on, then it will hit the outside(side facing the wheel) of the caliper. Its a pita

D.T.R

Established Member
Yes, they have that lip. They are 15x10 wheels. It is the top part of the caliper that hits the most. When you finally het enough off the top for the wheels to go on, then it will hit the outside(side facing the wheel) of the caliper. Its a pita

Sent you a PM bud.

KrisR

Established Member
How close is it to fitting? Can you grind/machine some material off of the calipers, and/or use a thin spacer to bring the wheel out a little bit?

Users who are viewing this thread