Solving the Paxton belt slip problems... Race belts

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
I just don't understand why hasn't anyone, including Paxton improved this issue with some sort of Cog drive system on the most highlighted pulleys. I imagine not every single pulley on the system and bracket would require a "Toothed" design but damn! Maybe that would drive this kits price beyond their intentional design. Idk, I have always ready and known of the "Infamous BELT SLIP" through all these years and just surprised things haven't changed. I am one that would like to chase and reach 700+ just seems to be more of a headache and not worth it for the belt slip.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I just don't understand why hasn't anyone, including Paxton improved this issue with some sort of Cog drive system on the most highlighted pulleys. I imagine not every single pulley on the system and bracket would require a "Toothed" design but damn! Maybe that would drive this kits price beyond their intentional design. Idk, I have always ready and known of the "Infamous BELT SLIP" through all these years and just surprised things haven't changed. I am one that would like to chase and reach 700+ just seems to be more of a headache and not worth it for the belt slip.

The issue isn't Frequent enough for Paxton/ Vortech to get involved.. These forums tend to make an issue look bigger then it really is!!!

2012csgt

Established Member
Gotcha. Keep us posted. I'll post back once I receive the belt and install it

Yeah received the other belt and it is the black one, same as the one I just installed. Made a couple passes and I see no noticeable belt slip. Hitting about 14 psi. Car rips. It goes by so quick it's hard to watch. I might mount a go pro on the window to see exactly what it is. Or go get the Nguage from Lund and throw her on the dyno as PBH is 30 mins away. Should be close to 800 rwhp.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
The issue isn't Frequent enough for Paxton/ Vortech to get involved.. These forums tend to make an issue look bigger then it really is!!!

I can definitely see that. But... It does happen to enough or many to at least design that option for those who do wanna push in the upper ranges beyond 750-800+rwhp. That is the reason why I believe it is not frequent enough as mentioned because these kits are mainly purchased for that 600-650 range and call it a day. I for one have all the supporting mods to dance in the higher end, if you would TURBO apps hp #s and was hoping to do so with this kit since they are capable. Although, with the tips and belt trials, I would be happy at approx 750rwhp which is obtainable.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Yeah received the other belt and it is the black one, same as the one I just installed. Made a couple passes and I see no noticeable belt slip. Hitting about 14 psi. Car rips. It goes by so quick it's hard to watch. I might mount a go pro on the window to see exactly what it is. Or go get the Nguage from Lund and throw her on the dyno as PBH is 30 mins away. Should be close to 800 rwhp.

Thats what I am talking about! AWESOME man! What pulley and belt set up were you on now?

D98GT

Established Member
Had a friend call them today for questions about a blue belt and they advised no 8 rib selection. Bummer

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Im in the process of getting a forged shortblock. I will use it with my paxton for a little while and then I will gravitate towards a cpr turbo.. Its the logical solution for me to get to 850-900 rwhp. The sale of my paxton will go towards the purchase of my cpr turbo. I know its better to do the whole swap all at once but im trying to minumize the shock to my bank acct...lol

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
good plan. I already have a built motor and would love to push it to its Rating but I know that is NOT Impossible but very difficult to do with this Paxton vs Turbo.

2012csgt

Established Member
Thats what I am talking about! AWESOME man! What pulley and belt set up were you on now?

Thanks, running a Vortech V3 with a 2.85 high traction pulley. Still on the 6 rib. Running a regular gates K060994 and the belt is tight! Ran the green belt as well and really wasn't any difference. Car put down 760 std, 745 sae on a 3.125 pulley. Haven't put it back on the dyno since but I'm thinking about it now. New times coming when the weather wants to cooperate. I have a brand new set of radial pros that I haven't got a chance to use yet. Hopefully soon.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
You will be around 750rwhp with your setup, car will be nasty.

Thanks, running a Vortech V3 with a 2.85 high traction pulley. Still on the 6 rib. Running a regular gates K060994 and the belt is tight! Ran the green belt as well and really wasn't any difference. Car put down 760 std, 745 sae on a 3.125 pulley. Haven't put it back on the dyno since but I'm thinking about it now. New times coming when the weather wants to cooperate. I have a brand new set of radial pros that I haven't got a chance to use yet. Hopefully soon.

Thanks

derricksmustang

Established Member
well any new , news ive been ok for about a week now the belt is back slipping again ordering a 100" gates or if any one else can chime in on what is working for them..

justinsstang

Established Member
More info, what pulley you running, what rear end gear, which belt are using, and which hole do you have the idler pulley in? From left to right looking at it on the car mine is in this one with the big O
o o o O o

I have the K060994 and couldn't get the belt on, was too tight. Going to try again today and see if I can make it work. If it won't go on I guess I'll have to move the idler over to the last hole. I have 3.73 gears and putting on the torque booster with 3.33 pulley gates at 10psi

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I
More info, what pulley you running, what rear end gear, which belt are using, and which hole do you have the idler pulley in? From left to right looking at it on the car mine is in this one with the big O
o o o O o

I have the K060994 and couldn't get the belt on, was too tight. Going to try again today and see if I can make it work. If it won't go on I guess I'll have to move the idler over to the last hole. I have 3.73 gears and putting on the torque booster with 3.33 pulley gates at 10psi

With 3:73's and an mt-82 you likely get belt slip. if i were you i'd get 3:31's your car will still be a monster with 3:31's.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
I

With 3:73's and an mt-82 you likely get belt slip. if i were you i'd get 3:31's your car will still be a monster with 3:31's.

Eventually, that is the route I will be going. As it stands, the gears come way to fast and short with the 3.73's and will only get worse when dropping to a 3.33 pulley, tq booster, clutch, fuel and up'n the tune. 3.31's are the gears to go with.

2012csgt

Established Member
Gotcha. Keep us posted. I'll post back once I receive the belt and install it

Belt seems to be working great Regular black gates K060994, 2.85 pulley, Idler in the middle hole. Vortech V3. Ran this past Friday + 2000 DA, knew I wasn't gonna set any record times because of the Florida heat but it ran ok.

IMG_5512_zpskkjccj40.jpg

well any new , news ive been ok for about a week now the belt is back slipping again ordering a 100" gates or if any one else can chime in on what is working for them..

Gates K060994 regular black one. I ordered a K060997 and a K061000 as well Gonna have to play around with belt size and idler pulley hole to get it as tight as possible.

o o o O o

I am in the center hole oo0oo. Wrap the belt around all the pulleys except the tensioner, pry the tensioner up to the top and slide the belt on. Thats what works for me.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Do it the right way and go 8 rib or give a ATI balancer a shot.

The last thing you wsnt to do is add more tension to the system and break a crank.

High traction pulley will work too but you'll be changing belts often.

Users who are viewing this thread