Solving the Paxton belt slip problems... Race belts

justinsstang

Established Member
So after seeing a few threads about belts slipping with the 3.33 paxton torque booster setup while having 3.73 gears, I started to research.

I looked around, and ordered the K060994HD 98" Gates green belt based on one of the threads here which is a little bit tighter than the Gates Green 100" belt that beefcake sends with the torque booster (if you opt for it).
I then started talking to someone and learned a few things.
The Gates "Heavy Duty" Green belts are actually just made to last a little longer than the black. They're also made up of a compound that provides less traction because it's stiffer than the black belt. I promptly canceled the order after I found this out.

That brings me to the Black belts, which is what I ordered and am going to try first. For $22.XX shipped from rockauto, it's worth the try. This part number is K060994, without the HD - meaning same length etc but it's the black instead of the green. It will provide a little more traction at the cost of wearing slightly faster.

But the real reason for this thread is that I also found out about Gates "Racing" belts, or the maximum-traction blue belts. At first I didn't find a size that would work on our car, but after PMing with someone else on here they said they found a 100" blue belt (which I do not currently have the part number to, will update when he responds with the part #). This made me look again, and I quickly found another belt that should work. K060975RB, a 97.5" blue belt. The specs read it's 97.54 inch effective length (inside diameter?), and 98.11 inch outside circumference" (outside diameter?).

This K060975RB 97.5" belt needless to say would be an even tighter squeeze than the K060994 as the outside diameter of the K060994 is 99.865".
IF the race belt would walk on to the pulley, is there any problem with running a belt that tight with the 3.33 pulley? Will it shock the crank when you let out of the gas or anything (I feel like I've heard of that somewhere before)? I ask because if this black belt slips a lot, I may buy this blue belt.

I'm also curious if anyone has ever even ran a blue belt before, and how long they typically last.

Thanks for reading, hope this helps someone.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
I was actually thinking of buying one of the blue belts for my Roush TVS. I opted for the 22 dollar belt hoping that will work. They wanted 77 dollars for the blue. So if the new black belt doesn't hold, I'll give it a try.

lshin037

Established Member
The part number is k060995. This part number is available in black also so you have to look for the blue or racing version

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Good info here. I didn't realize the green has less traction than the black. Maybe that's why everyone is slipping with the TQ booster kits. :(

lshin037

Established Member
Been doing some more research. Gates states that this belt is much stronger under heat and high rpm. I found posters in other car forums saying that it's a bit more difficult to install because there's absolutely no stretch. I'm hoping this is the ticket.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Another question you should be asking... How many Paxton owners have run into bent impeller shafts from running their belt too tight...

lshin037

Established Member
Another question you should be asking... How many Paxton owners have run into bent impeller shafts from running their belt too tight...

I wasn't aware this was happening. Thanks for pointing that out.
When I had the green belt that was ordered with the Torque Booster kit (100.6), I had it on TIGHT as in topping out the tensioner. I was pretty uneasy about this. I switched to the K060994HD which is a tad smaller (99.86) and moved the idler pulley over one spot. This gave the tensioner more room. I was thinking a tighter belt, as in no stretch, should be safer than topping out the tensioner, no?

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

We have sold more Paxton/ Vortech kits then anyone out there and we have not had a single customer mention anything about bent impellar shafts. The belt should be tight but should also leave room in the tensioner to move.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Never with a V3 or 2200, that's more of a YSI or XB-110 deal.
With the larger blowers at point the only option is to tighten the belt, which is when you run into these issues. These are more of a race car issue, not your average joe problems.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
We have sold more Paxton/ Vortech kits then anyone out there and we have not had a single customer mention anything about bent impellar shafts. The belt should be tight but should also leave room in the tensioner to move.

A customer of Terry's that I talk to told me his has bent twice now... 2200 making good power. I'm sure a really tight belt with no stretch can't be good.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yea there must be an issue there. There are s few 2200s making good power and no issues. If someone has done it twice i would look elsewhere for the issue

justinsstang

Established Member
The part number is k060995. This part number is available in black also so you have to look for the blue or racing version

Any links to the blue K060995 100" belt, because I'm not seeing it on their belt list: http://www.gates.com/oreilly/PDFs/Belt Size Listings.pdf

Closest one I saw to the size we need is the 97.5" one. If it's too small... maybe we could put on a 3.15 pulley with the torque booster to better compensate the belt length. Then we get even more power down low with this set up and still have no belt slip... Am I right or am I right? Huehuehue
tyybhioskwdw70y0ouqb.jpg

lshin037

Established Member
Any links to the blue K060995 100" belt, because I'm not seeing it on their belt list: http://www.gates.com/oreilly/PDFs/Belt Size Listings.pdf

Closest one I saw to the size we need is the 97.5" one. If it's too small... maybe we could put on a 3.15 pulley with the torque booster to better compensate the belt length. Then we get even more power down low with this set up and still have no belt slip... Am I right or am I right? Huehuehue
View attachment 46816

Here's a couple:

http://www.rpmware.com/catalog/item/411320

http://thmotorsports.com/i-411320.a...type=pla&kw=&gclid=CNb04f3Y7MYCFc6PHwoduwQDTQ

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The green belt sucked on mine.

A plain old Autozone duralast belt in 99.4" absolutely kicked ass on mine. Fixed it right up.

Users who are viewing this thread