Solving the Paxton belt slip problems... Race belts

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Car was getting really flat power after 5500 6000 rpms and not hearing the gate open... its amazing how fast you start knowing your ride even when you add new parts. After 8 had time open the hood and belt dust and the belt looked worn out bad..

The power should flatten at a certain point with the tq booster.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
what you guys are missing is the part where he says the wastgate wasn't opening up--which indicates he wasn't getting over 10 psi meaning the belt was slipping.

Also a pile of belt dust on the back of the blower is always a pretty good indicator lol

syclone50

Established Member
And I have lots to tell.. lol. I just need to find some time to put together a thread about the on3 with some pics. Wont be as in depth as the Paxton thread but it will shine some light on real issues and some myths about the on3.

Cliffnotes... only 1 fitament issue (long story). Overall quality is a little better than "ok." SOme parts of the kit are better than others.

Mine should fire this weekend and theres even a TINY chance it hits the track sat or sun.

Looking forward to your on3 post. I am curious to see if your issues were the same as mine!

92fiveohfox

Established Member
what you guys are missing is the part where he says the wastgate wasn't opening up--which indicates he wasn't getting over 10 psi meaning the belt was slipping.

Also a pile of belt dust on the back of the blower is always a pretty good indicator lol

If the WG is set at 10 psi this wouldn't change the feel or power delivery but I agree its not good. Mine has a ton of dust so I assume its slipping but I see full boost so I'm not going to mess with it until I need to.

justinsstang

Established Member
K060995RB isn't a belt.

To my understanding RB at the end is the indicator that it is the gates race belt, much like no end letters is a black belt, and HD at the end is a "heavy duty" green belt.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
correct there is no k060995 rb

gates has 3 part number possibilities

just the number
the number with hd at the end
the number with rb at the end

hd is green rb is blue, but all belts made in black arean't available in blue and green all belts made in green aren't made in blue

2012csgt

Established Member
I just switched my belt to a new Gates K060994. But I did take a chance and order this.... I'll update you when I receive it. I have belts all over the place. I just put a 2.85 High Traction pulley on so I may need to change the belt more often. It shows a Blue Gates racing belt so we will see.

Gates Racing K060994 Drive Belt | Autoplicity

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
I just switched my belt to a new Gates K060994. But I did take a chance and order this.... I'll update you when I receive it. I have belts all over the place. I just put a 2.85 High Traction pulley on so I may need to change the belt more often.

http://autoplicity.com/2957298-drive-belt

I ordered the same one from them but later got confirmation that it's not the blue one. It's a regular black one. It was too late to cancel since they already shipped it. Did you switch to the regular K060994 (black)? If so, any improvements?

2012csgt

Established Member
I ordered the same one from them but later got confirmation that it's not the blue one. It's a regular black one. It was too late to cancel since they already shipped it. Did you switch to the regular K060994 (black)? If so, any improvements?

I did switch back to the regular Gates black belt. Haven't made any passes yet but I might hit the track this week so we will see. Boost should be about 14-15 psi. Way over spinning the baby V3 but haven't decided what direction to go yet.

lshin037

Established Member
I did switch back to the regular Gates black belt. Haven't made any passes yet but I might hit the track this week so we will see. Boost should be about 14-15 psi. Way over spinning the baby V3 but haven't decided what direction to go yet.

Gotcha. Keep us posted. I'll post back once I receive the belt and install it

D98GT

Established Member
I have an 8rib on my car and luckily have not had any issues with my green belt after I finally moved the pulley over another slot to tighten it up. I run a 3.47 pulley (overdriven).

I am waiting to hear from you guys with the blue belts as I don't dig the green look ha

lshin037

Established Member
I emailed Gates support to ask them directly about the differences. According to them, traction-wise they're all the same profile/footprint. The only difference is internal construction, ie. strength/longevity.

I guess I'll just wait until 2012csgt reports back with his experience since he's already got it on.

Users who are viewing this thread