Sprocket failure

Flaco1

Established Member
I just wanted to post up my sprocket failure being that I haven't seen it much on here or I might of missed it. When I had my motor built they where not on the market. Until a couple of months later after installing of the motor in the car they came out. But I figured I would just run with it. Big mistake. Split the sprocket at the track at high rpm almost about to finish the 1/4 mile. It sucks but a costly repair its going to cost me. Broken sprocket, bent all the valves, damage the crank and cams a little and hopefully I can get them polish and take of that, and broke 16 rockers.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Attachments

• photo_001.jpg
    photo_001.jpg
    812.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • photo_002.jpg
    photo_002.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 1,292
  • photo_003.jpg
    photo_003.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 685
  • photo_004.jpg
    photo_004.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 719

Bud

Established Member
Oof, that sucks, sorry to see it man. What cams and valve springs were you running? And power adder?

Bud

Established Member
Have boss heads, valves, and springs with a 2.9 Whipple.

Have stock cams? Man I was thinking that maybe it was heavier cams and spring pressure causing that piece to go. If it is going with stock stuff (boss springs) that is a tad scary.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Ouch! I wish they had this out last winter when I built my motor. Then again, there are tons of cars out there making big power on the stock sprocket with no issues. Probably takes a combination of some things all happening at the wrong time to do it.

Flaco1

Established Member
Ouch! I wish they had this out last winter when I built my motor. Then again, there are tons of cars out there making big power on the stock sprocket with no issues. Probably takes a combination of some things all happening at the wrong time to do it.

I thought the same thing when I saw the gears first came out and I figure there where a lot of people making good power. So I took my chances and car ran strong for a over a year with no problems. Now it's going to cost me at the least 2k just in parts and good thing I'll doing my labor for the most part for a $300 part. There where no signs at all. Just heard a pop while running and that's all she wrote.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Dang, that sucks....Lost my crank on my whippled cobra and the carnage was just as nasty.

Last edited:

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
That's a damn shame OP !! I built my engine this summer and that was one of the parts I ordered for my engine build even though there were people saying that's not necessary unless your spinning over 7500rpm. I see now its cheap piece of mind!!!

Users who are viewing this thread