Established Member
Tim, I lost my
573418.gif

573418.gif
= Secret Decoder Ring

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Just catching up, sorry to hear Dale. 10% over cost can get you a nice reman'ed or a Aluminator engine straight from Ford. No extra for shipping. They crate right to a commercial address and wall-a! $3,900 reman. $6k Aluminator. Compare this to the head, valve, etc. rebuild. Just an idea.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Just catching up, sorry to hear Dale. 10% over cost can get you a nice reman'ed or a Aluminator engine straight from Ford. No extra for shipping. They crate right to a commercial address and wall-a! $3,900 reman. $6k Aluminator. Compare this to the head, valve, etc. rebuild. Just an idea.

That is probably way too much coin for me either way, but you almost read my mind. I was looking at aluminator longblocks this morning...

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
m-6007-a46sc.jpg

oh and...

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
800px-Ford_Cammer_V8.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Haha, I saw the FR500C engines on the site too, but I don't really think I should drop $27k on a motor right now. A GT500 engine with the TVS blower on it was half the price of that thing.

TRBO VNM

That is probably way too much coin for me either way, but you almost read my mind. I was looking at aluminator longblocks this morning...

sorry to say dale, if there is head damage, which I can't see how there isn't, I don't think you are going to get it all done for under the $4k.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
dale sorry to hear it was a valve... i was hoping it was something simple :(

look at it this way though, now you have an excuse to make it stronger and faster :beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Prasad, I bought the car because it was already extremely strong and fast. I was told this motor was the best of the best. It was apparently built by Al Pappito, and I don't have all the specs on it, but they used top of the line parts. Car was tuned by the guys at Real Street Performance in FL and even when Lund looked over the tune, he said it was spot on. I paid a premium for it because it was so well built, obviously more than a '98 Cobra is worth. Since then I've fixed the fuel system and now I have to fix the motor. I'll spend enough to get it back together correctly so I can sell it.

A guy on the MPH forum is selling an engine with a teksid block, built bottom end and stock B heads with 3k miles, so might look into that if it's the cheapest route :nonono:

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Dale, take it from me....dropping over 5k on a car and selling it weeks later SUCKS! The market is complete crap right now anyway. People know that and will low ball the crap out of you. If worse come to worse store it till you save up the funds and fix it in a couple months. Don't get frustrated with it, dump a crap load of money into it and sell it for less than you payed for it. You will end up regretting it down the road. The car is bad ass for sure.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Who knows. I'm still making payments on the car and paying a buttload for insurance, so that kind of sucks when the car is just sitting around broken. Hopefully I won't have to sell it for less than I bought it for. We'll see though. I feel it would be one of the best SN95's for sale on this forum right now with the mods and miles on the car.

If I do get rid of it, I might just stick with the Jeep for a while. I said that before when I sold the GT, but I really do need to save more money. Gotta think long term for once, I guess.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Really sorry to hear Dale. I would PM Scott about his comments below. VERY impressive deal.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
Who knows. I'm still making payments on the car and paying a buttload for insurance, so that kind of sucks when the car is just sitting around broken. Hopefully I won't have to sell it for less than I bought it for. We'll see though. I feel it would be one of the best SN95's for sale on this forum right now with the mods and miles on the car.

If I do get rid of it, I might just stick with the Jeep for a while. I said that before when I sold the GT, but I really do need to save more money. Gotta think long term for once, I guess.

Sorry to hear about your woes Dale!!! :bash:

Take it from me seeing as I've had nothing but problems with my car since the first modification and keep your head up and perservere through the rebuild and keep the car like you originally intended.

My engine blew up the first weekend the blower was installed, was down for a rebuild, is on it's second head unit rebuild, etc. etc. and each time it goes down I start hating the car and want to put it up for sale. This changes each and every time it gets back to me fixed and I drive it after its been in the shop for weeks on end.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Very sorry to hear Dale - I'm actually irritated that the problems arose so early. Makes me question the overall sale you know?

Just pisses me off makes me personally that much more content to build it up myself when I do do it.

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member

Def. Suck Man. Sorry to hear that. Ive been in those shoes with my car when i lost my old motor b/c of my mistake. and writing a check every month and taking care of the damn insurence, on top of trying to build a motor isnt fun.

Good luck man, keep at it. It was all worth it to me in the end.

snakecharmer

Established Member

If you do decide to dump it (God knows the thought has crossed my mind on my 97 more than once), don't let the fact it has had issues rush you into unloading it for less than it is worth. I nearly made that mistake once until a few friends talking me off the ledge.

And don't let anybody tell you either that having a bone-stock car is no fun if you decide to do something else. My 07 and 09 are dead stock to the paper filter and I enjoy them every bit as much (or more) than the beast, simply because I don't have to worry about what they might do. :) C5 Z06s are plentiful, reasonably priced and need nothing! :)

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Dale, here's my 2 cents.

If you have some other need for funds in the near future (12~24 months), then you may want to recoup the cost of fixing the car, but you probably won't break even between the purchase price and the repair. But sometimes getting out from under a debt in necessary.

But...if you don't need the funds, I would plan on keeping the car and fixing it when you really feel like it. Right now you can only think of fixing it to get rid of it, and that's NOT a labor of love. Keep making the car payments, some day you will own it. And while it's not like a diamond or artwork, it won't depreciate much more than it has already. Especially if you can wait and put a really good rebuild into it, maybe after paying it off. Even if you need to unregister it and stop paying insurance for awhile, it could be worth it. I'm sure you can find a place to store it for awhile with friends if needed.

Right now, the only payments that you are making that are going down the drain are the insurance payments. And if you arn't driving it, maybe you can minimize those with a huge deductible and no other coverage than required. You don't need to rush into anything, especially if you don't feel like it, once you decide what plan of action you want to take.

Wish I could help more, it really isn't fair that this happened to you. But life ain't fair. And sometimes it sucks. But you have friends to help you. Maybe it isn't as bad as it seems. :beer:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
When my car was down a while I dropped the insurance down a lot by telling them it wasn't being driven. I can't remember what they called it however I did the same thing during the winter when I wasn't driving it. It was still covered for damages you just can not drive it or it won't be covered in an accident.

Users who are viewing this thread