Streetbike vs 03/04 cobra opinions

nxhappy

Established Member
If I were to get the cobra then I would have to sell the 350z and I would daily the cobra. I have been riding dirtbikes and atvs a good majority of my life so I have some experience on motorcycles. I think I am leaning more towards the motorcyce

riding dirt and riding street are two totally different ball games. for the love of God...please get a 250cc bike and take a motorcycle course. A 600rr bike is NOT for beginners. and yes I ride dirt and street so I know what the **** I am talking about.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
take a motorcycle course. .

He's required to take a course, it's not optional in the military. He also has to wear the required PPE on or off duty. OP a big negative with a bike being your only form of trans is if/when you get orders to relocate to another base you can't just throw all your crap in a car or truck. You have to use the militarys moving service. You can't do DITy moves, that can be a major downside for some.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I got my bike while I was in the Marines. If you plan on getting into a bike someday then doing it while you are in the military is probably the best way to do it as they are very involved in forcing you into different course and will pay your way. If you haven't heard already, motorcycle crashes are a big issue for them.

RTR GHIG

Established Member
If I were to get the cobra then I would have to sell the 350z and I would daily the cobra. I have been riding dirtbikes and atvs a good majority of my life so I have some experience on motorcycles. I think I am leaning more towards the motorcyce

Just respect that 600, and you will be fine. I started out on an '08 R6, and had no issues. But everyone is different. I am older, so I respected the bike and didn't ride outside of my ability. I had my R6 for 3 yrs, until here recently, I upgraded to a '15 BMW S1000RR. As for my S1000RR, it is a totally different animal than my R6.

MG0h3

Established Member
I rode dirt most my life and my first street bike was a 08 ZX 10R. Dealer said it was too much for me but I was fine. I did some work on my friends 600 and took it for a test ride when I was done. Felt like a freaking vespa. If you are going to do a bike, Id suggest trying a 600 and liter and see what you think.

I traded the bike and cash for the Cobra. I loved the bike and it was awesome doing 100mph in 1st gear but its very impractical. Every now and then I wish I still had a bike but I always had a nagging feeling I was going to be a blood splatter; my fault or someone elses.

Charliesgramps

Established Member
Here is some advice from a crusty old SMSgt who is about to retire after 26 years in. Don't buy the bike and here's why.

I assume you're going to continue to DD the car. This means you're most likely going to be riding with your buddies. The temptation to not use your PPE is going to be overwhelming. Depending on where you ride, the PPE is going to be hot, somewhat restrictive, and if you're wearing the right stuff, will be ridiculed as looking goofy.

After submitting to peer pressure, you will eventually get into an accident. When (not if) it does, there will be a line-of-duty determination. If you incur medical expenses, there is a good chance you will be required to pay them out of pocket. I guarantee as an A1C (at most right now), you cannot afford those bills.

Motorcycles are a blast, I had one myself at one point. There is no denying the joy of riding. However, if you insist on getting a bike, do not get a sport bike as your first street bike. Your buddies might not think you're "cool" but you will be better for it in the end.

On a side note, what AFSC are you training for?

Kiohtee

Established Member
Here's something that even a class can't make you understand but you should just trust. Do not lock down the brakes, especially on a 600cc+ bike, at any speed. In my case it was at 3-5mph. The sudden weight transfer and whichever way you're leaning makes it nearly impossible to catch it in time and remain upright.

Other than that, don't ride in freaking icy conditions or above your limits. Especially on unfamiliar roads.

coremaster21

Established Member
After a lot of thinking and a talk with my parents I decided its best to go with the termi, thanks for all the advice and responses, it really helped with my decision!

blksnke2

Established Member
Good choice going with the Terminator, OP. I will say this...the people that say "Oh you'll die on a bike because of your age" are the people that have no self control with something like a motorcycle. I got my first bike (2008 R6) when I was a wee 18/19 year old, and the couple of years I owned it overlapped with the couple of years I owned my 03 Cobra. As long as you have self control and respect what you're riding or driving, you will be as safe as the stupid drivers out on the roads would allow you to be. If you still want a motorcycle one day, I highly recommend waiting until you move off base and have a garage of your own to keep it in. My R6 had to sit in the parking lot for a short time while I lived in the dorms on base and it sucked.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Granted I'm a little bit older than OP and have a family, but I'd be scared as hell to ride a bike on public roads. I'd much rather the Terminator if it was between the two.

nxhappy

Established Member
Good choice going with the Terminator, OP. I will say this...the people that say "Oh you'll die on a bike because of your age" are the people that have no self control with something like a motorcycle. I got my first bike (2008 R6) when I was a wee 18/19 year old, and the couple of years I owned it overlapped with the couple of years I owned my 03 Cobra. As long as you have self control and respect what you're riding or driving, you will be as safe as the stupid drivers out on the roads would allow you to be. If you still want a motorcycle one day, I highly recommend waiting until you move off base and have a garage of your own to keep it in. My R6 had to sit in the parking lot for a short time while I lived in the dorms on base and it sucked.

point is, MOST young kids don't have self control. A 600RR bike is not slow by any means, and it is not forgiving...

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Choose option 3 - get a 11+ GT. Terminators do not make good daily drivers. You can have an 11 GT for the same money, it will be more practical and also fast and fun. It's also a much safer car.

Steve1578

Established Member
I currently have an 01 cobra and did have a gixxer 600. I sold the gixxer after a friend of mine died getting run off the road and hitting a tree. Riding is a ton of fun. I didn't read all of the thread so I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but if you've never rode before, don't start with a 600. Get a Ninja 250 or something and ride it for 6 months. You'll be able to sell it for damn close to what you paid and you'll get great experience with less risk of ending up as road kill. Riding is a hell of a lot of fun if you stay controlled. Don't be a "squid" and don't act like you own the road. Both are fun, both offer different experiences.

nxhappy

Established Member
I currently have an 01 cobra and did have a gixxer 600. I sold the gixxer after a friend of mine died getting run off the road and hitting a tree. Riding is a ton of fun. I didn't read all of the thread so I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but if you've never rode before, don't start with a 600. Get a Ninja 250 or something and ride it for 6 months. You'll be able to sell it for damn close to what you paid and you'll get great experience with less risk of ending up as road kill. Riding is a hell of a lot of fun if you stay controlled. Don't be a "squid" and don't act like you own the road. Both are fun, both offer different experiences.

that's tough man. R I P

Users who are viewing this thread