Streetbike vs 03/04 cobra opinions

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
stop reading at "I am a 20 year old in the military.." (no offense)

i used to live near parris island and i dont know which year it was but there was an actual point where more marines were killed on crotch rockets than in the actual iraq war for that same time period. Boggles the mind

coremaster21

Established Member
stop reading at "I am a 20 year old in the military.." (no offense)

i used to live near parris island and i dont know which year it was but there was an actual point where more marines were killed on crotch rockets than in the actual iraq war for that same time period. Boggles the mind
That's insane but I believe it. I try not to ride all the time because I know how dangerous it is and I am very respectful of the bikes power. Even though I know its not always the riders fault.

_Snake_

Established Member
Head needs to be on a swivel at all times.

Watch the cars around you and expect them to do the unexpected, and at the worst possible moment. Always leave yourself an out.

CV355

_
Established Member
Be careful and avoid being the first through intersections. Too many dolts driving around with phones glued to their face.

08mojo

Established Member
View attachment 1510489 View attachment 1510490 Sorry for bumping an old thread just thought I would update it by saying that almost three years later I finally have both (03 cobra and streetbike). I’m sure some of you have seen my terminator around on the site but I recently picked up a 2007 Suzuki GSXR-600.
Had it for about a month now, it is my first street legal motorcycle so I have a lot to learn but so far I’m having a blast. Its super fast, can’t believe people start off on liter bikes I am completely content with a 600 and plan to be for a while. Of course I can’t leave it stock so I plan on doing a exhaust shortly.

Nice bike! I had a k7 600 for several years myself. Be sure to check out the fix for the rectifier. The stock piece will fail and it will leave you stranded.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
In addition to all the above advice, please do your best to stay out of blind spots for extended periods of time. It is amazing to me the number of bike riders I encounter that will cruise in my blind spot when they could easily go faster or slower to avoid it.

nxhappy

Established Member
always wear FULL gear. Before you hop on.....just pretend it's the day you are going down onto the pavement. It's not a if, it's a when.

Mike's03Mach

Established Member
I'm the Programs Manager for my unit in Tucson Arizona, I wouldn't recommend getting a bike. I'd go with the car, bikes are dangerous, no matter how careful you are. Stick with 4 wheels and something to protect you.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
In addition to all the above advice, please do your best to stay out of blind spots for extended periods of time. It is amazing to me the number of bike riders I encounter that will cruise in my blind spot when they could easily go faster or slower to avoid it.

^^^This. I always wonder what is going through the minds of bike riders when they're in traffic. I almost cut one down one day because he was camped out in my blind spot. There was zero reason for him to be there. It's like they insist on riding people's blind spot, then get mad at car drivers when they almost get run over. Don't they realize they have a better visibility vantage point than people in cars?? A motorcycle in traffic has about the same profile as a person walking in the street, yet they want to camp out in blind spots. The other thing that drives me batty is the way they ride the middle line. I'm always like "I guess he just doesn't want that foot anymore." Oh, and how they always lean their upper body over into your (oncoming traffic's) lane in curves.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Even if you are the most responsible rider in the world, which no 20 year old is, it only takes ONE mistake by someone else to end your life. When you start riding you will notice immediately just how many people are distracted drivers. Even then, mistakes do happen all the time and even if someone wasn't being negligent, all it takes is one accident to end your life or cripple you forever.

You have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

EDIT: For clarity, I used to ride but not at the moment. In 2016 I witnessed a motorcycle rider lose his life. He wasnt doing anything reckless or negligent, but his tires caught a "tar snake" in the worst place and he got a tank slapper and he went straigh into a guard rail which directed him into a telephone pole at 50mph. The impact was so severe that his head was decapitated (his head was all over the road) and his leather jacket was ripped off his body along with both of his arms. In a car he obviously would have never lost control to begin with, but even if he did, he would have walked away with no serious injuries. Anyone who says your time will come regardless if in a car or motorcycle is downplaying the added dangers of riding. You ARE more at risk, and the consequences are much more severe.

Last edited:

Adower

Established Member
Good luck and ride safe out there. I rode almost daily for almost 8 years straight. I hung it up after I was on a group ride and came around a corner and saw the after math of a bike vs car head on crash. The guy was fully suited and they found his riding boot over 100 yards away from the scene of the accident. If you ever put a riding boot you know they don’t come off easy.

Coiled03

Established Member
^^^This. I always wonder what is going through the minds of bike riders when they're in traffic. I almost cut one down one day because he was camped out in my blind spot. There was zero reason for him to be there. It's like they insist on riding people's blind spot, then get mad at car drivers when they almost get run over. Don't they realize they have a better visibility vantage point than people in cars?? A motorcycle in traffic has about the same profile as a person walking in the street, yet they want to camp out in blind spots. The other thing that drives me batty is the way they ride the middle line. I'm always like "I guess he just doesn't want that foot anymore." Oh, and how they always lean their upper body over into your (oncoming traffic's) lane in curves.

Riders who stay in the blind spot of a vehicle are piss poor riders, simple as that.

With regards to riding the center line, no rider should ever ride the middle of a lane because that's where all the oil is. Some choose closer to the center line, some choose closer to the curb, and it can vary depending on where you're riding, and the environment. Sometimes riding closer to the center line is the safer option. Unless you've been a rider, don't judge.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

With regards to riding the center line, no rider should ever ride the middle of a lane because that's where all the oil is. ...

I meant the actual line, not the middle of the lane. As in, most riders I see ride the lane divider. Actually, let me qualify that. All the riders I come across on cruiser bikes ride the lane divider. The sport bike guys I come across are either in the middle of the lane or closer to the shoulder. They still camp out in the blind spots, though.

coremaster21

Established Member
Nice bike! I had a k7 600 for several years myself. Be sure to check out the fix for the rectifier. The stock piece will fail and it will leave you stranded.

Thank you! And good call, I'm still learning everything about the bike and the common issues that can arise. I am getting a service engine light but I think it has to do with the throttle position sensor.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Always ride in what you want to crash in.

I too used to ride until I lost a very good friend. In the location we were living, I found that the fear while riding vastly outweighed the fun I was having, too many people on the road and like everyone said, they're all trying to kill you whether they know it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread