Streetbike vs 03/04 cobra opinions

HandBanana

Established Member
he's 20 years old. a 600 is a very bad idea.

x65,000.

06+ 600 @ 20, I'd be dead. No exaggeration.

Get a Cobra. Take an MSF course and look into a 600 in a few years. Don't get a 250, it's a waste of time. No getting around it, those things suck. Good luck.

nxhappy

Established Member
ya a 250 is a slow snail, but it's a good learner bike lol.

Kiohtee

Established Member
x65,000.

Get a Cobra. Take an MSF course and look into a 600 in a few years. Don't get a 250, it's a waste of time. No getting around it, those things suck. Good luck.

I realize I'm probably being a hypocrite since I started one of these threads myself some time ago and proceeded to ignore all the advice for awhile, but wut? :dw: Taking an MSF course only to do nothing with it for "a few years" just to hop on a 600 because 250s are turds just doesn't make sense.

When it comes to bike threads (here or elsewhere), y'all need to keep in mind that we're all adults but we're going to do what we want because it's our lives and our money. So instead of trashing someone or keeping them from doing something altogether, help them make the best of their ill-informed decision. Recommend the appropriate gear, classes, videos, etc.

Zemedici

Established Member
x65,000.

The **** is the point of taking a course 'to get into it in a few years'

I'm gonna go ahead and get my real estate license, but I don't want to do real estate until I'm 50.

:lol:

Wut

HandBanana

Established Member
The **** is the point of taking a course 'to get into it in a few years'

I'm gonna go ahead and get my real estate license, but I don't want to do real estate until I'm 50.

:lol:

Wut

Settle down there young blood. Don't make me come down to GA and pull the paint off the front bumper of that '15 :rolling:

You should get your real estate license, it would be a worthwhile investment. Regardless of when you use it.

I took an MSF course at 20, didn't purchase a bike til 24 and I'm glad I waited. But what do i know, 20 somethings like yourself are infallible with all of your real world experience and relentless intellectual pursuits.

Zemedici

Established Member
Settle down there young blood. Don't make me come down to GA and pull the paint off the front bumper of that '15 :rolling:

You should get your real estate license, it would be a worthwhile investment. Regardless of when you use it.

I took an MSF course at 20, didn't purchase a bike til 24 and I'm glad I waited. But what do i know, 20 somethings like yourself are infallible with all of your real world experience and relentless intellectual pursuits.

Woah woah leave the 15 out of it sir :D

Im 23, have an almost new modified liter bike, and have never taken the MSF course. :shrug:

That being said I don't ride like a squid, and hardly ever ride in groups. Common sense goes a long way with self preservation.

And I now realize real estate is the WORST example I could have used....for the reason you mentioned. Touché sir :beer:

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
I would say if you have never ridden STREET bikes, then yes the MSF course should be REQUIRED.

nothing wrong with a liter bike as long as you have had experience on the street.

Blackness03

Established Member
one bad thing about bikes are when ya friends lost interest, it's pretty boring to ride by yourself. I vote the car.

I don't think so. I have just as much fun riding by myself as I do with other people. Sometimes MORE fun because you don't have to worry about someone else.

When it comes down to cars vs motorcycles. I choose motorcycles.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
If not, don't start of on a SS. Be smart like your friends and start off on an R3. 20 year old military personnel + lack of experience + 600CC (and up) = Almost guaranteed in a ditch.

Cold hard truth in a lot of cases

and most people who start on a smaller bike and move up to larger (600+) always progress riding skills faster, better, and safer. You can have plenty of fun on these entry level bikes. Unfortunately most people only want super sports o they can do high speed runs and look cool in a tank top and sandals.

But it seems you went the Cobra route which I think i the best choice given your current situation. Plus I bet you will get a bigger smile from a eaton screaming with the window down then a high speed run filled with wind noise and everything else that comes with riding a bike.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Some of the most fun I've ever had was on a 250. Granted, I started on a 600, went through several of them before upgrading to my last, a Hayabusa, and only occasionally rode a friend's 250. But man to throw it in a corner like it wasn't even there. :rockon:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
OP, why not just mod your 350Z? I know there are turbo kits and whatnot out there for it.

coremaster21

Established Member
I have had my 350z for about 4 years now and im ready for something different, like I said earlier a cobra has been my dream car for some time now, I like everything about it. I have about every bolt on you could think of but the motor doesnt like making power, kind of sucks. If i was going to get a turbo kit I would have to get the greddy tt kit and that would cost me about 10k so I think the cobra is the better option.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I have had my 350z for about 4 years now and im ready for something different, like I said earlier a cobra has been my dream car for some time now, I like everything about it. I have about every bolt on you could think of but the motor doesnt like making power, kind of sucks. If i was going to get a turbo kit I would have to get the greddy tt kit and that would cost me about 10k so I think the cobra is the better option.

$10K for a turbo kit on your existing car or $18K+ for an older car that you'll have to start from scratch making it your own? :shrug:

Zemedici

Established Member
$10K for a turbo kit on your existing car or $18K+ for an older car that you'll have to start from scratch making it your own? :shrug:

Cobra > 350z

That being said there would be ZERO point in doing a Greddy kit without building the motor. Spending 15k (cost of build - install, fuel, clutch, exhaust, tune) to run on 8 psi wouldn't be very fun. Buddies popped motors at 450whp.

Last edited:

coremaster21

Established Member
I would think twice if I had the HR motor but I have the DE and its not the best for power... to my knowledge if you put about a grand into the cobra you will be looking at about 450 to the wheels, you cant beat that and that's if you find one stock... most are modded.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Get both lol! As mentioned bikes are cheap so have fun with both. People always freak out when someone wants a bike, look a 600 (hell even a 300) can kill you, so get whatever makes you happy. I'm a liter bike guy myself, but to each their own.

coremaster21

Established Member
E6ABAEAE-73CF-4966-90A7-940F75063209.jpeg
624E4A8C-430C-42CB-82CC-F986C66D7085.jpeg
Sorry for bumping an old thread just thought I would update it by saying that almost three years later I finally have both (03 cobra and streetbike). I’m sure some of you have seen my terminator around on the site but I recently picked up a 2007 Suzuki GSXR-600.
Had it for about a month now, it is my first street legal motorcycle so I have a lot to learn but so far I’m having a blast. Its super fast, can’t believe people start off on liter bikes I am completely content with a 600 and plan to be for a while. Of course I can’t leave it stock so I plan on doing a exhaust shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread