Surging after whipple install

Flaco1

Established Member
After installing a 2.9 whipple w/3.75 pulley , jlt 127mm carbon fiber intake, ford racing dual 65 TB, and lethal xpipe no cats. Took it down the local shop to get dyno tune and its been there trying to get surging issue work out at part throttle. At wide open throttle it runs great. Have anyone experience this. Or maybe should i have gotten an email tune from Jon Lund or evolution performance. I've seen some of the cars they tune on youtube videos. They seem run great. Car been in the shop for a couple of weeks now trying to get work. I just want to drive it already and not have no drivability issue. Or any suggestion on maybe what to look for on trying to resolve the problem. Thanks

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
It's from the JLT, not a slam on them but they are very hard to tune due to the open element filter and large tube diameter with a frequency based MAF. I have been told this by a few different tuners. Lund's tune has been the best but I'll still get a slight surge at highway speeds on decel.

Flaco1

Established Member
It's from the JLT, not a slam on them but they are very hard to tune due to the open element filter and large tube diameter with a frequency based MAF. I have been told this by a few different tuners. Lund's tune has been the best but I'll still get a slight surge at highway speeds on decel.

Any idea which intake would be good for this setup?

try03venom

Established Member
get a evo performance mail order tune they use Jon Lund. WOT tuning is the easy part drivablitiy is another story. Leave on the JLT!

Bud

Established Member
Should be 10psi with the 3.75 pulley and let laid 650rwhp. Just not happy with the surging right now.

Right on, thanks for the info. The surge on these new cars with a blower can be a pita, hopefully somebody can get it under control for you.

RTD

Established Member
JLT's worth 30-40 over the stock box.
Get a good tune.

BTW, yes it has been proven. ;)

I saw in one of the magazine tests on a blown car with headers that the JLT was worth something like 60 hp and increased boost by a couple of lbs just by removing the intake restriction.

But I also thought I read on the VMP site that adding the CAI would push the fuel system beyond its limit and require bigger injectors and a BAP.

Flaco1

Established Member
get a evo performance mail order tune they use Jon Lund. WOT tuning is the easy part drivablitiy is another story. Leave on the JLT!

I saw in one of the magazine tests on a blown car with headers that the JLT was worth something like 60 hp and increased boost by a couple of lbs just by removing the intake restriction.

But I also thought I read on the VMP site that adding the CAI would push the fuel system beyond its limit and require bigger injectors and a BAP.

Got that same magazine. And also saw S197 GT 2.9 whipple write up and video where he race the Paxton viper and that's what sold me on the 2.9 whipple with the same bolt ons he had. It just sucks spending all that money and for the car drivability at part throttle under normal driving. I know it's not a fuel issue at part throttle. At end of the day more and likely get an email tune. Hopefully that will fix it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I've have heard its really been tough tunning the 5.0 with a blower an still have perfect stock like driveablity. I would try the stock air box with a drop air filter an see if you can get the tune straighten out. If you still can't after that try a new tuner. Also before you by a new tune talk to all the tuners 1st to get the best idea who might be able to tune your setup the best

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
The 525/624 FRPP kits have perfect drivability. It can be done.. thinking about going back to the stock/ kit lid airbox for a while. Stealth mode is kinda cool.

Flaco1

Established Member
The 525/624 FRPP kits have perfect drivability. It can be done.. thinking about going back to the stock/ kit lid airbox for a while. Stealth mode is kinda cool.

Rather keep the jlt but if it takes putting the stock lid on for better drivabilty. Just that jlt intake look better when open hood. Hopefully I can find the option for the drivability concern soon so I can start driving it.

Users who are viewing this thread