Tail Happy?

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member
I know you've all seen this video showing a wildly over steering 03/04 , What I want to know is if after a IRS bushing kit like ac427's is installed will the car still be "tail happy".

[ame="http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=exuUS4_ckZw"]http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=exuUS4_ckZw[/ame]

Redfire03

Established Member
It looks like the car is "tail happy..." because he is adding power... The bushing kit will improve the feel of the suspension as well as reduce wheel hop but the "tail happiness" of a car like ours is really controlled by how much throttle input you give it. Things like bigger and stickier tires can help what your worried about.

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
It looks like the car is "tail happy..." because he is adding power... The bushing kit will improve the feel of the suspension as well as reduce wheel hop but the "tail happiness" of a car like ours is really controlled by how much throttle input you give it. Things like bigger and stickier tires can help what your worried about.

+1

BTW, I do run the full bushing kit from ac427 :thumbsup:

Jroc

Established Member
Foxbody based platform cars are just tail happy.(particularly with a 4link) Thats the naughter of the beast. Always have been, and to some extent always will be, even though you can improve upon it. Even a stock IRS is better than a stock 4link at not having the rearend just up and come around on you at the drop of a hat, but a IRS still doesn't cure it. If you try and ride out some long fast burnout they can bite you with the quickiness. I've had Foxbody platform based Mustangs come around on me without any warning at all several times, only once in my Cobra. You have to pay attention when driving them.

These video's are great examples of what I'm saying. Mustang Week FTW! lol.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnXpwOHdrlo]YouTube - MW White cobra crash 06 BYAAH![/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdCcMa9qPw&feature=related]YouTube - Mustang Wreck in Myrtle Beach, SC[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkrrvWRSGW0]YouTube - Mustang Week 08- MB pull out[/ame]

Last edited:

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
tail happy is lightly putting it! i raced someone the other night and i wanted to do a small burnout to heat the nittos up a little bit...i couldn't keep the car pointed in a straight line to save my life!!!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
tail happy is lightly putting it! i raced someone the other night and i wanted to do a small burnout to heat the nittos up a little bit...i couldn't keep the car pointed in a straight line to save my life!!!

+1
They will follow the crown of the road every time.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
You mean tail wiggle? Ever get your Terminator wagging it's tail on the freeway? Mine did it on the drive home from buying it. I thought a wheel was loose. It was about 30* outside and wet though. It has NOT done it since.

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member

Do you think it could be minimized by going with a detroit tru trak posi carrier?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I remember those first two vids. Horrible driving! Aided by wanting to impress the bystanders. LOL! The more power the motor is making the easier it is to get tail happy. Certainly there are things you can do to give more control to the driver, but the driver is always going to be the key factor. JMO.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^If they knew how to drive and didn't let out of the throttle it wouldn't have happened.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
bruces kit is awesome... i found off a dig the car is less tail happy as well as from a roll.

also a lot of guys drive these cars hard, change different rims tires a rear alignment never hurts. camber is sometimes off, that makes the rear end not know whats going on and next thing our all over the road.

Users who are viewing this thread