Test drove 05 Saleen 281, news on the 06 Cobra

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
Combo ?

SCMod46 said:
Damn, I wanna drive the new saleen lol. I wish our cars handled like those but had the power like ours. That would be a deadly combo.

Yeah that would be a nice combo wouldn't it ? your body style with Saleen handling

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
bottom line is:
anyone who knows, cant talk or they'll be at best fired, at worst sued out of existance.
everyone else is blowing sunshine:pepper:

edit: and where are the pics??!

In a book called "Mustang 2005: A New Breed of Pony Car" by Matt De Lorenzo that I read at Barnes and Noble, John Coletti began to let the cat out of the bag in an interview. I got these quotes off of Amazon.com:

****BIG EDIT**** I am not going to take the chance to infringe on any copyright laws. Pick up the book next time you're in the bookstore, it's got an awesome article/interview on the new Cobra. Here's a few things it mentions that the new Cobra will have:

- 5.4L screw-type supercharged V-8
- between the '03/'04's 390 and the Ford GT's 550 for horsepower numbers
- 6-speed manual with twin-disc clutch
- higher MPH speedometer and not-white-faced gauges (doesn't say what, just that it will be something that will constantly remind the owner it's a Cobra)
- IRS is being kept, but significantly beefed up (he specifically mentions the half-shafts and differential specifically)
- bigger wheels than 2005 Mustang GT and wider, lower stance too

How's that for informative?? I completely happened upon the book in Barnes and Noble and I was giddy as a school-girl after reading the whole section about the new Cobra. :rockon:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
SA SNAKE said:
I think the new Saleen looks sweet, but is overpriced.
I agree. $51K for a "base" Saleen Mustang? And less power than the '03/'04 Cobra? If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd go for the '05 Vette or maybe stretch it a bit and get me that upcoming and nasty Z06. I really don't like the new Mustang (body or interior) so regardless of whether Ford makes a new Cobra I'm really not interested. I still say the '03/'04 Cobra is a much nicer looking car IMO. Maybe not as technologically advanced as the new Stang, but a lot meaner looking. And aren't muscle car supposed to be a bit rough around the edges anyway? LOL!

WDW MKR

Established Member
Regardless of what they put in the new Cobra, it absolutely will not compete with the Z06. Close to 3000lbs, 500+ NA horsepower, 50/50 distribution, better aero... it's an american supercar. I'm also with Juiced and Bob... the new body style just sucks. I initially hated it, then started to warm up after getting used to it. After seeing a few on the streets, I'm back to disliking it. And speaking of seeing it on the streets... where are the record sales?! I've seen like three driving around, with 15+ sitting on dealer lots (mostly V6 cars). :shrug:

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
bigger block

WDW MKR said:
Regardless of what they put in the new Cobra, it absolutely will not compete with the Z06. Close to 3000lbs, 500+ NA horsepower, 50/50 distribution, better aero... it's an american supercar. I'm also with Juiced and Bob... the new body style just sucks. I initially hated it, then started to warm up after getting used to it. After seeing a few on the streets, I'm back to disliking it. And speaking of seeing it on the streets... where are the record sales?! I've seen like three driving around, with 15+ sitting on dealer lots (mostly V6 cars). :shrug:
:read:

Anyone can put in a bigger block get 500 hp and sell it for $ 60,000+, also if you can get the rear wheels to hook up.
good luck on hooking up with the vette :burnout:
60 in first gear is cool though and make sure it is yellow if you decide to turn to the dark side :poke:

But the 2007 Cobra shouldn't be matched up with the Z06 because that will be $60,000 and the 07 Cobra will only be $40-45k. It's like matching a Z06 with a Lamborghini... At least the 07 Cobra will smoke any of the Japanese imports like the new STi, EVO MR, etc.

03RedCobra

Established Member
alfman9 said:
Ford doesnt care about screwing previous customers, just ask the 00R owners.

I have to agree with him on that statement. The 2003 Cobra was just as fast and powerful, and 20,000 LESS !!

WDW MKR

Established Member
BUNKY said:

Anyone can put in a bigger block get 500 hp and sell it for $ 60,000+, also if you can get the rear wheels to hook up.
good luck on hooking up with the vette :burnout:
60 in first gear is cool though and make sure it is yellow if you decide to turn to the dark side :poke:

Darkside? Sorry, I sold my GN and picked up the Cobra. Realizing that the new Z06 is more car than any $40-50k Cobra will be is just common sense. "Anyone can put in a bigger block and get 500hp"?? Are you kidding me? Have you even looked over the specs for the new Z? I don't care if it says YUGO on the bumper, that is a world-class car. And if I ever bought one, it would only come in one color... black. Yellow is for people who need attention :poke:

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Darkside? Sorry, I sold my GN and picked up the Cobra. Realizing that the new Z06 is more car than any $40-50k Cobra will be is just common sense. "Anyone can put in a bigger block and get 500hp"?? Are you kidding me? Have you even looked over the specs for the new Z? I don't care if it says YUGO on the bumper, that is a world-class car. And if I ever bought one, it would only come in one color... black. Yellow is for people who need attention :poke:

I am with you the whole car is based off of its brother the C6R. The car has dry sump oiling, 427 CI all aluminum block, a hydroformed aluminum frame, and all this in with a engine that is capable of reving to 7100rpm. The car is just a monster but it is on the verge of what is actually streetable and what is a race car.

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
Price is a big factor here. Let's say they do put that blown 5.4 in the new Cobra. You think it's gonna cost under $40K? I say at least $45K... :(

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
blown01cobra said:
I am with you the whole car is based off of its brother the C6R. The car has dry sump oiling, 427 CI all aluminum block, a hydroformed aluminum frame, and all this in with a engine that is capable of reving to 7100rpm. The car is just a monster but it is on the verge of what is actually streetable and what is a race car.

And if I ever bought one, it would only come in one color... black. Yellow is for people who need attention .
Yellow is for racing not attn.
the mustang/cobra was made for everyone's benefit for transportation and fun . they had to build it for sales not all out race specs . if ford wanted that they would haved used a 351 a long time ago in all of the cobra 's . You can have a larger mod motor and specs of a race car in a Mustang/Cobra but again your gonna spend the money cobra ?? :idea: $40k and $5,000 in bolt on stuff and take on a new Z06 anyday .
Z06 $60,000+ and now you just lost to a cobra :poke: :eek: sorry i chipped up the front bumper of your new Z06

WDW MKR

Established Member
BUNKY said:
And if I ever bought one, it would only come in one color... black. Yellow is for people who need attention .
Yellow is for racing not attn.
the mustang/cobra was made for everyone's benefit for transportation and fun . they had to build it for sales not all out race specs . if ford wanted that they would haved used a 351 a long time ago in all of the cobra 's . You can have a larger mod motor and specs of a race car in a Mustang/Cobra but again your gonna spend the money cobra ?? :idea: $40k and $5,000 in bolt on stuff and take on a new Z06 anyday .
Z06 $60,000+ and now you just lost to a cobra :poke: :eek: sorry i chipped up the front bumper of your new Z06

No offense, but it's not going to be that easy to compete with the Z06. Yes, it's going to be very expensive. No, it's not made to compete with the Mustang. I understand that. However, there is no need to discredit the accomplishment GM has made with this car. A high-compression 427 with many titanium bits is a lot more than "Ford using a 351". Depending on what the new Cobra comes with, it may take more than $5k in bolt-ons to hang with a new Z06... and that's only in a straight line. If the Cobra is anywhere near the performance of a new Z06, it's going to cost a pretty penny more than $40k.

florida03

Banned
The funny thing is the 03, 04 Cobra as we all know needed only a few minor tweeks
to hand the Z06 its ass. Even if the new Cobra cost $40k which is prob the max and the Z06 will be $60k+ which will prob be the base, Ford drew the line and Chevy
had no other choice then to up the stakes. Whatever the case I feel the new Cobra
coming soon will once again make Z06 owners think twice. And by the way its not
supposed to be easy to compete with any Z06, thats what makes it sweet when
you do. No flame as I am loving this once again all AMERICAN muscle battle.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I live in L.A. and don't see many 05 Mustangs running around on the street and wonder how well they are selling. Talking to people I get a 50/50 response on those who like it and those who don't. As opposed to asking people if they like the Z350 and it's amost 100% positive. Regarding the new Cobra, it won't matter much to me what Ford comes out with. My 04 was a bargan, it's a good looking car without being overbearing and once I put my Kenne Bell on there and finished modding it I will be happy for quite a while. The Cobra will never compete with a Z06 nor was it meant to be. It's a raw muscle car and I would not have it any other way. While the new Corvette's are phenominal performance cars I alway have the image of some Lawyer sitting behind the wheel who is late for his dinner engagement. Seeing a bad ass Mustang rumbling at a stop light and wondering what's lurking under the hood alway brings a smile to my face :pop:

Saleen's? To me they are nothing more then flashy aftermarket customized Mustangs bought by people who want to be noticed or who don't have the time or mechanical ability to build the car themselves. "Dude what do all those vents do?" :xpl:

I hope Ford decides to ditch that retro look......

Last edited:

CalamiaCustomz

Maniac Motorsports
Established Member
ok i for one dont beleave that anyone has driven a 05 saleen because you cant even test drive a 03 or 04 cobra without being preapproved to buy it first! second ANY dealership is not going to risk someone they dont even know wrecking a $51,000.00 car when they are only there spending $200.00 on and oil change and tune up! THIRD what would a brand new saleen be doing sitting at a dealership unless someone ordered it and therefor it would belong to someone else and they wouldnt let you drive it anyway! so stopblowing smoke up peoples ass! And finaly im with the guy above about the sales record because i have seen about 20 05's driving around and maybe 2 of them have been GT's and when i pass the lot theres about 20 more "V6's" sitting there! whats up with that???

NewGuyGT

Established Member
umm, I've driven an 03 04 cobra from a dealership multiple times without so much as a copy of my drivers license. They just know im serious about the car. Turned out I wasnt able to afford it, but still. Also, my local dealership has a 05 Roush "just sitting there." Not a saleen, but still cool.

So test drives depend on the dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread