The current market..

modmayhem88

Established Member
03gobluecobra said:
Those prices seem quite high. I am having trouble getting someone to just commit $22k for mine. The mystichrome is the only on worth paying more than that for.

Also, keep in mind, those cars may be stock, but you don't know for sure. Many cars are returned to stock when traded in, and the mod parts are sold off.

in addition to mystichrome, comp orange seems to garner a bit more as well. Sucks for me becuase I'd love a competition orange terminator.

goingup

Established Member
Prices seem to be still going down. I am starting to think maybe a GT 500 because I have seen the mark ups drop by $10,000 in the last few weeks.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Watched one at auction go for short money again. Bone stock, 22k.

Still seeing them retailing for $23-$29k on lots. 25K on the highend for lowmileaged coupes, and 29k for low mileaged verts. I think the GT500 is keeping the prices up there.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
This is a funny thread. 14 months ago, I could not give my cobra away for 22k, and it was a nice, low mile, unpullied, but autocrossed car. I eventually just traded it in for 20k. At that point, everyone was pissed about the low resale value. Ha ha. Supply and demand is a funny thing. Now, I would like to find a nice, unmodified car, and they are almost unheard of especially for a decent price.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
cito said:
This is a funny thread. 14 months ago, I could not give my cobra away for 22k, and it was a nice, low mile, unpullied, but autocrossed car. I eventually just traded it in for 20k. At that point, everyone was pissed about the low resale value. Ha ha. Supply and demand is a funny thing. Now, I would like to find a nice, unmodified car, and they are almost unheard of especially for a decent price.

damn, i was in the market at that price 14 months ago!

how'd i miss that!

modmayhem88

Established Member
Chris Benvie said:
damn, i was in the market at that price 14 months ago!

how'd i miss that!
yeah seriously, for $22k, I would've jumped on that and forgotten my Shelby dream very quickly.

tankerman1981

Established Member
you know if i could get close to what i owe on mine now i would sell... but iunfortunately taken mine on a couple long distance cross country road trips soo my miles are a bit high... closing in on 58K now... and then i see all of these with 10-15k and like wow.. i have no shot at selling mine for a decent price...

LBSVT93

Established Member
I want to buy one in the fall of 07, think clean ones could be had for 22-24 by then....here in IL people want big bucks still....if I could find a clean one for 22k in the fall I will jump on it in a second......well see I guess

Fuerza

Established Member
I'm looking for an 03/04 Cobra. I'd prefer someone in the midwest. I live in Missouri. I'm a member on the STL message board. If you have a car for sale let me know. I'd prefer a stock or near stock car. I want a DSG, silver, black or white color car, but I'll consider all colors except yellow cars.

Thanks, Adrian

04WhiteMach1

Established Member
I purchased my 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra with 4,800 miles from a Ford dealership on April 5, 2004 for $26,000.

Back then, that's what they were going for. They sat on lots for many months and for those of you who were in the market back in 2003 and 2004, they had $3,000 rebates in September of 2003 and 2004. The cars were selling very cheap.

What has happened over the last 18 months is the prices of these cars have increased due what it costs to purchase a new Shelby GT 500 - essentially a new Cobra. The Shelbys are selling for $60k so it is much more affordable to buy a used 2003/2004 for anywhere from low to high 20s.

IMHO I believe the 2003/2004 Cobras will sell for much less once the Shelbys start selling for sticker. I have seen a few sell for only $10k over sticker, but they have been convertibles, which I have no interest in.

bullitt4655

PSD_BULLITT
Established Member
Interesting thread.

I'm in the market for a Term. I'm interested in getting a reliable yet very fun form of transportation (daily driver) that has A/C and a kicking sterio - but can still take it to the track on the weekend for a few high speed laps on a road coarse. A Cobra fits the bill very well.

There are several routes for me to consider:

1. Buy low mile stock car for $23-$25k and add $5-10k in performance and suspension mods. Total price = $28-$35k

2. Buy a high mile stock car for $15k-$20k, clean it up for $1k-$3k and add the same performance mods = $25k-$33k
cheap High milage cars are out there, see http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353730

3. Buy a cobra that is already tastefully and thoughtfully modded = $25-$28k depending on the mods and mileage.

If I could find the car that is modded exactly the way I would do it and be 99% confident that its not a ticking time bomb then option 3 is actually the best deal, particularly if it is lower miles. It would save me a lot of time and $$ not having to pay for mods and labor to install them.

Bottom line is that not everyone is looking just for the lowest purchase price. You have to consider if the mileage, condition, and if the mods are acceptable. We won't get all of our money out of the Mods we add - but it is reasonable to expect some percentage of a return - not a complete loss unless the car has been ragged on and beat up.

Last edited:

bullitt4655

PSD_BULLITT
Established Member
Another thing about buying from the boards is that you can get an idea of how the car was maintained and driven based on posts from the seller and the others who would vouch for him.

At the dealer you have no clue if the oil was ever changed by the previous owner or if it was modded and raged on and then the parts were removed for trade in.

Most of these cars are out of warrantee even if stock due to mileage and/or time. Being able to actually talk to an owner about the car is much better IMHO then at most used car dealerships that just want to make a quick sale and don't care if its a lemon.

Are all private owners honest??? NO, but it is easier to judge a person if you can read a few dozen of their posts over a few years.

The cars that I've seen on this board that have been around for awhile are probably worth the extra $1-2k they are asking for them just because you can see there history and how well they have been maintained. I'd rather pay a few extra K to make sure its not that ticking time bomb.....

Sorry, rant over.

Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread