The Dejokerization has begun

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
The Joker will now be IN the car as opposed to ON the car!
:pepper::beer::coolman:

Way ahead of you Brucey

jokerinthecar.jpg

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
It looks like it will take a complete repaint short of the front & rear bumper covers to get rid of all the purple, green, joker paint work.

It looks like the piant work was very detailed... it rolls over into the front fender jambs completely, they even painted behind the decklid filler panel and the joker paintbrush work looks detailed with good shading etc.... It just too bad it was done on a 95R and in such...ummmm... striking colors.

Went over the car this morning, it's a complete exterior (partial jambs) paint job, no doubt about it....Doing a complete dewaxing and degreasing of the exterior body today in hopes that by Thursday or Friday I might get a chance to wet sand and prep the body for paint before the weekend. Not saying it will be painted this weekend (sorry JM :p ) just that it will be prepped for it ;-)

Bill S.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Way ahead of you Brucey

jokerinthecar.jpg

WOW!!!!! Look at that BIG steering wheel! :poke::poke::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::kaboom:

Went over the car this morning, it's a complete exterior (partial jambs) paint job, no doubt about it....Doing a complete dewaxing and degreasing of the exterior body today in hopes that by Thursday or Friday I might get a chance to wet sand and prep the body for paint before the weekend. Not saying it will be painted this weekend (sorry JM :p ) just that it will be prepped for it ;-)

Bill S.

Bill, how many 95R's have you painted so far? I think you might be the official 95R painter! :thumbsup: want to do another one? ;-)

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Bill, how many 95R's have you painted so far? I think you might be the official 95R painter! :thumbsup: want to do another one? ;-)

Three to date, #99, #4, and one that I never did get the number on back in late 1997 and early 1998 (painted it two times after two separate accidents neither of which were track related :nonono: )..............

What does yours need? Just a respray of the exterior, or ???????? Don't tell me you stuffed it into a tire wall like Ed B. did with my old #99 :cryying:

Bill S. :rolling:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
its a banged up race car, so its been stuffed in a few walls back in the day....nothing too hard though....partial quarter(s) replaced, junkyard fenders, a few shades of white (including :rollseyes GM white) during quickie repairs, typical race car stuff....the hood, one door, and the trunk are original though! :lol1:

so, it needs some disassembly, a few dings n dents straightened, proper panel alignment, and a nice respray in the correct color....not concourse, since it'll have decals galore :rockon:

ebaylg.jpg

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
so, it needs some disassembly, a few dings n dents straightened, proper panel alignment, and a nice respray in the correct color....not concourse, since it'll have decals galore

We can do that, as soon as JM's is out of the shop in the next week or two we'll get yours in and start working on it. Unless of course you find yourself out this way this week and want to drop it off....I'm roughly 30 miles south of RT78 just off RT100.........

Bill S.

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Todays only progress

nosmirrors.jpg

NOS mirrors to replace the ones painted purple

melting.jpg

A little test to see if the custom artwork will sand off with some 600 grit paper

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
melting.jpg

A little test to see if the custom artwork will sand off with some 600 grit paper

600 grit!!! :eek: You're a brave man!

I spent most of my wet sanding days with 2,000, 1,500, 1,200 and 1,000 grit. But I didn't like the 1,000 grit. It was too coarse.

I still have the tennis elbow to prove it! :cryying:

But then I found driving them and pounding the crap out of them is a lot more fun than making them look nice.

:pepper::pepper::pepper:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
We can do that, as soon as JM's is out of the shop in the next week or two we'll get yours in and start working on it. Unless of course you find yourself out this way this week and want to drop it off....I'm roughly 30 miles south of RT78 just off RT100.........

Bill S.

:eek: not that soon! I better stick to finishing one car at a time :lol:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
600 grit!!! :eek: You're a brave man!

I spent most of my wet sanding days with 2,000, 1,500, 1,200 and 1,000 grit. But I didn't like the 1,000 grit. It was too coarse.

I still have the tennis elbow to prove it! :cryying:

But then I found driving them and pounding the crap out of them is a lot more fun than making them look nice.

Bruce,

I've got up to 2,000 (wet/dry) grit, but rarely have a chance to use it at my MAACO (you did know I moved, sold all the toys, just so I could go back into business for myself and earn 40% of what I was before,and work three times the amount of hours, right ;-) ). As for the 600 grit, it was enough to knock through the clear coat over the artwork, which is what we were trying to do. I do not want to go as far as the bare metal on this one, more like down to the original "E" coat so we do not see any ghost images when we put the new base/clear on it.......

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce,

I've got up to 2,000 (wet/dry) grit, but rarely have a chance to use it at my MAACO (you did know I moved, sold all the toys, just so I could go back into business for myself and earn 40% of what I was before,and work three times the amount of hours, right ;-) ). As for the 600 grit, it was enough to knock through the clear coat over the artwork, which is what we were trying to do. I do not want to go as far as the bare metal on this one, more like down to the original "E" coat so we do not see any ghost images when we put the new base/clear on it.......

Bill:

Oh!!! :idea: I think I get it now! :read: You're painting over! I thought you were sanding to remove and then buffing! :shrug:

Have fun with it! :beer:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Bill:

Oh!!! :idea: I think I get it now! :read: You're painting over! I thought you were sanding to remove and then buffing! :shrug:

Have fun with it! :beer:

I had a VP of development of a certain paint company over here to see if we could sand it off and buff it out as I would have liked to be able to keep as much original paint as possible. Sadly, the way the paint was done, it would take me 5,000 hours of hand sanding to accomplish this. Of course at an hourly rate of $46.00/hr (shop rate, I'm worth at least five times that much) I would exceed the value of the car rather quickly, so it's best to sand it all down, then shoot a fresh coat of "ZR" (Ultra White) and save not only my sanity, but JM's marriage :thumbsup:

Bill S.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Good to see you are bringing the car back to a correct appearance.

As far as the decals, that is total bull$hit!

Tom

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Good to see you are bringing the car back to a correct appearance.

As far as the decals, that is total bull!

Tom

Yup, I've been known to specialize in bringing old race cars (drag cars, road race cars, ex nascar chassis) back to their former glory....Back in the old days, I used to do a lot of "race on Sunday fix on Monday" paint touch ups, especially for those who were racing their "daily drivers" :rockon: ......These days I get the occasional race car in for spot work, a door or fender here, a quarter panel or bumper there.....It really is an art to get the paint to match what is already on the car :coolman:

Bill S.

PS: No updates today as I'm down two people in the shop and one in the office, making me the jack of all trades for the day :uh oh:

bret a ewing

Established Member
JM,

I'll make some calls over the course of the next few days to see if I can straighten out what must amount to a misunderstanding, as this is "THE" REALRosie Diner car and not a replica of it........I'll get to the bottom of this, might take a little while, but I will..........

Bill S.

Fixed it for ya!;-)

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Today's advances for the project car

index.php

First we had to paint JM's new tow vehicle

newpaintscheme.jpg

Then we had to try out the new paint scheme on the JM's "R";-)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bill S.

SDW Racing

Established Member
Thanks Bill.....now my car has gone from the Geico Gekko to The Great Pumpkin!!!!

I'm scared...I think I need to pull the 95R out of his shop before he 'Pimps My Ride' anymore!

:banana::banana:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Thanks Bill.....now my car has gone from the Geico Gekko to The Great Pumpkin!!!!

I'm scared...I think I need to pull the 95R out of his shop before he 'Pimps My Ride' anymore!

:banana::banana:

you mean with 20" oasis spinners? That would be bad....I dont think they have race tires to fit them, and they might not pass tech.... :lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
you mean with 20" oasis spinners? :

Per the owners request, I've already ordered a set of 20" dubs, flaming orange dingo balls for around all of the windows, neon lights for under the car and dash, and some damn little plastic chuawawa who's head bounces up and down with the cars movement, and who's eyes light up when the brakes are applied. I figure with the leapard skin seat covers, and the pink shag carpeting, dash cover, and headliner going in, that this will certainly add more value to the future collectability of the car. We won't even discuss the 300 speaker sound system the owner wants me to install as that would take all day just for the components list............

Bill S.

Users who are viewing this thread