The wheel spacers are done!!!

robb

Hi toofast. I'm running Goodyear F-1 GS D-3 315/35-17's on AFS 10.5" rims. These tires are verrrrry wide in section--at least 12.6"(specs. said 12.3--not!). Dave is making me 3/8" spacers. I need at least 5/16" to make this work on my car(and yes, I have shaved the stock bolt heads down to .3" overall ht.). Hope this helps, Rob

Undy

Established Member
Just shipped this batch via FedEx.. I'll email/PM everyone w/ tracking numbers:

Shipped are:

Brian
Roger K
Mike M
Pete Z
Coleman A

Dave

Last edited:

Undy

Established Member
Originally posted by Steve Snake Driver
Robm, check you're email.

Undy, got your emails. I'm not in a hurry (I don't rub at present) but would like some for future use so I'm trying to get Rob's.

Great!!! I know Rob would appreciate it. That's what it's all about, members helping members...

Dave

99cobrajms

Established Member
Undy, I got a 99 cobra with stock 2003 wheels. I will also be buying a set of AFS 10.5s for 315 Nittos. WIll this work for me?

Right now I also got the original F1s on the front and BFG 275 DRs on the rear.

JMS

Undy

Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobrajms
Undy, I got a 99 cobra with stock 2003 wheels. I will also be buying a set of AFS 10.5s for 315 Nittos. WIll this work for me?

Right now I also got the original F1s on the front and BFG 275 DRs on the rear.

JMS

John,

If you stay with the Nittos you'll not need the spacers as they're narrower than any of the other 315s. you will need to do the "undy bolt mod" though. That entitles grinding the head down to just where you can get a wrench on it.. Do a search as I've posted pics and detailed instructions in the past..

Dave

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
Undy this thread is great! I've just have a few questions. If I dont want to do the "undy bolt mod" will the spacers with AFS 17x10.5 and Nitto 315 drag radials not rub with the suspension fully extended? Same question with the BFG 315 drag radials? And lastly any real difference between the 315 Nitto vs. 315 BFG drag tires at the track or tire life? I have only used BFG's and have no experience with Nitto's. Oh, and if I want a pair of spacers can I still get a set? Thanks, u da man!

Undy

Established Member
Originally posted by 03blackCOBRA
Undy this thread is great! I've just have a few questions. If I dont want to do the "undy bolt mod" will the spacers with AFS 17x10.5 and Nitto 315 drag radials not rub with the suspension fully extended? Same question with the BFG 315 drag radials? And lastly any real difference between the 315 Nitto vs. 315 BFG drag tires at the track or tire life? I have only used BFG's and have no experience with Nitto's. Oh, and if I want a pair of spacers can I still get a set? Thanks, u da man!

03blackCOBRA,

If you run the spacers with the Nittos then you can do away with the bolt mod. If you run any other of the w-i-d-e-r 315s then you'll need to do both or wider spacers w/ new longer wheel studs. ( 1/4" spacers w/ extended reach lug nuts is as wide as you can go with stock lug studs )

The BFGs are wider and hook better (makes for better strip rubber) The Nittos don't hook quite as well but will last longer (makes for better street rubber) If you're going to have your car as a "driver" you'd be better off with the Nittos as they're a little better in the rain, assuming you ballzy enough to run a drag radial on wet roads.. heh, heh.

Yeah, I can still get you a set. Paypal me via your checking account or snail mail me a check.. I'll order them on receipt of payment. Lag time is about a week from time of payment.

There is quite a few sets out there now.. You could prolly ask some questions from the other board members.

Dave

Last edited:

robb

Dave, Did you say in one of your earlier posts that you had to replace damaged wheel studs? If so, how did you do it? Rob

Undy

Established Member
Originally posted by robm
Dave, Did you say in one of your earlier posts that you had to replace damaged wheel studs? If so, how did you do it? Rob

Yep, I was using those POS Mr. Gasket spacers.. Three of the studs/nuts busted clean off. I was lucky I felt an unusual vibration and checked... would have been disastrous..

I just knocked the old studs back through the flange w/ a hammer and pulled the new ones (all five) through with lug nuts and washers. I put some anti-sieze on the new studs' splines to minimize galling.. I tapped 'em in from behind first to get them started.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Ok so i still have stock rims and tires but I hate the way the back tires are sunk in and "appear" to not be in line with front tires will these spacers fix this and if not does any one know what will.

Undy

Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobrablack
Ok so i still have stock rims and tires but I hate the way the back tires are sunk in and "appear" to not be in line with front tires will these spacers fix this and if not does any one know what will.

The max you can move the rears out with the spacers w/o using new wheel studs (longer) is 1/4". Any more than that will require new studs, ARP or otherwise..

newcastle

Originally posted by Undy
The max you can move the rears out with the spacers w/o using new wheel studs (longer) is 1/4". Any more than that will require new studs, ARP or otherwise..

what length studs did you go with Undy? where did you pick them up? is apr the way to go? i want to buy the best ones available. thanks for all your help.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Undy, Do you have any concerns with the stud length? You are spacing out the wheels the same amount of lug nut to stud "THREAD" loss?

What is the tolerance on this? In the "old" days when we used
spacers, we changed the stud to match the spacers.

You did a very good job on these, but spacers still leave some
concerns about wheel offset load on the studs and metal compression resulting in vibration. Too much spacers and not enough stud can cause studs to break. I see Mickey Mouse spacers all day in my job where people put on some JC Whitney crap and they start losing wheels.

This is a good fix for the clearance issue, and will most likely
be OK. My concern would be stud length... Would I do it, probably
not. I would get the correct offset rim if I wanted a larger tire.

Mac03Cobra....

newcastle

Originally posted by Mac03Cobra
Undy, Do you have any concerns with the stud length? You are spacing out the wheels the same amount of lug nut to stud "THREAD" loss?

concerns about wheel offset load on the studs and metal compression resulting in vibration. Too much spacers and not enough stud can cause studs to break. I see Mickey Mouse spacers all day in my job where people put on some JC Whitney crap and they start losing wheels.

Mac03Cobra....

You make a very good point, mac...

yesterday at an autocross event in Atwater, CA, a dude in a sick old vette lost a wheel in the middle of a corner. it came shootin out the back were a bunch of fiberglass used to be, and the car went flying up in the air, slamming down on the rotor and grinding to a halt on a rather flat side pipe.

does apr have a website? did a search, can't find them.

the best stud would have an unthreaded part (shoulder?) that reaches through the spacer to give it more strength. anyone seen one like that?

Undy

Established Member
Originally posted by Mac03Cobra

Mac03Cobra....

With AFS' "extended reach" lug nuts I feel safe with the stock studs up to and including 1/4" thick spacer. The nuts put more "grab" on the studs then the factory ones do. I'll look to see if I've an extra one. If I do I'll post a pic if it. I don't fault any individual for not wanting to run spacers w/o longer studs. I feel safe, in my mind. You have to feel safe in yours.

There's no additional loads on the studs/nuts as these are true "hub concentic". The spacer/hub take all radial loading of the wheel/tire. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to convince anyone or sell these things as I'm actually losing $$ on the spacers, given time, gas, shipping and packing. I'm just doing it for the boyz.. I wouldn't want anyone to buy a set without feeling totally confident with their safety.

As of now nobody makes the correct offset for the IRS'd cars in the 03 Cobra repro wheels. We're sorts stuck as of now. AFS was considering doing it but they scrapped the idea due to a low volume market.... especially when there's idiots out there making spacers to compensate.:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread