Them silly Mach1 guys are at it again......

BlakHrse95

Established Member
socomnarc said:
This might be coming in a little late but Im new to the Mustang world and am in the current process of purchasing a Mustang. Being winter and all, I have 3 to 4 months of research to do. What I dont understand is the bashing among Mustang owners.
Are we not all on the same team?
What ever happened to the other domestic enemies? Not to mention those "few"
imports out there that pose a threat to the muscle community.
Here I thought I was going to purchase a 2003 Mach 1 and be accepted into the
brotherhood of Mustang owners. I've waited many many years to finally get this car and all that comes with it. To be a part of the "family".
To each their own tastes, but come on, they're all still MUSTANGS!!!!!!
Except them 6 cyl. things those are just "fords":)
In closing I hope I can ask upon the SVT community for help with my Mach 1 if needs be. Or any other mustang forum for that matter.
I like Cobras but the market value is too high for the mileage over the Mach 1
03 Mach 1s are cheaper than 01 cobras which have conciderable amont of less miles on them. 03 04 Cobras are mmmmmm yummy but too expencive compared to the Mach 1. So as far as 01 cobra to 03 Mach its gotta to be the Mach.
But I have no problem in being the 03 04 Cobras little brother.
You know what I mean.?
Thats just my opinion.
Nothin but love for the pony!

Mark

:beer: Well put!

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Of course I did not read all the posts but did read a lot of them..

Everyone is so touchy. I don't think the first guy based teh Cobra at all. Everything he said was correct..

The Mach seems faster off the line. and it is.. (stock Cobra)

The Cobra seemed to pull longer because of the blower.

THe Mach seemed faster. I still have teh Mach 1 but I did trade in teh Cobra. THe Mach does seem faster off the line and it should. THe tranny gears of quite a bit lower in the Mach then the Cobra. It will take off like a bat out of hell. It has a solid axel compared to the IRS that takes a bit longer to to squat and get the tires turning.

This is no biggie. I think they are both great cars and both are fast as hell right off the showroom floor. The Mach is capable of running 12's stock. I have taken mine to the local 1320 and ran it. My Cobra was faster but I think if they were side by side the Mach would have taken the Cobra off the line by a car length.

On handling, the Mach will take the Cobra on a technical coarse. Not even close to as much weight up high and that anchor of a block doesn't help in cornering. The Mustang pushes enough without all that extra weight up front that the Cobra has. In a straight away the Cobra will make up the time though. At Thunderhill I was about .5 faster in the Mach than the Cobra. The Mach transitions a bit better. I think with a few mods the Cobra catches up really quick though. I am not even talking about engine mods. (rear bushings and such)

The guy is a little crazy on where the shifter is. They are in teh same place on both cars. Oh well. Let him think it is farther way..

The clutch is about twice as heavey on teh Cobra. Oh well. If he likes the light clutch good for him..

Not trying to take anything away from the Cobra or the Mach, but each car is designed very differently and have different buyers.The Cobra will excel in some areas and the Mach will in others. We all know if we want the ultamate OT car you need to get a Z06.. :-D Had to throw that one in guys.. I do miss the Cobra. Just had to get something that fit my racing obsession a bit more.

Eric :beer:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
SVTCobra2001 said:
Of course I did not read all the posts but did read a lot of them..

Everyone is so touchy. I don't think the first guy based teh Cobra at all. Everything he said was correct..

The Mach seems faster off the line. and it is.. (stock Cobra)

The Cobra seemed to pull longer because of the blower.

THe Mach seemed faster. I still have teh Mach 1 but I did trade in teh Cobra. THe Mach does seem faster off the line and it should. THe tranny gears of quite a bit lower in the Mach then the Cobra. It will take off like a bat out of hell. It has a solid axel compared to the IRS that takes a bit longer to to squat and get the tires turning.

This is no biggie. I think they are both great cars and both are fast as hell right off the showroom floor. The Mach is capable of running 12's stock. I have taken mine to the local 1320 and ran it. My Cobra was faster but I think if they were side by side the Mach would have taken the Cobra off the line by a car length.

On handling, the Mach will take the Cobra on a technical coarse. Not even close to as much weight up high and that anchor of a block doesn't help in cornering. The Mustang pushes enough without all that extra weight up front that the Cobra has. In a straight away the Cobra will make up the time though. At Thunderhill I was about .5 faster in the Mach than the Cobra. The Mach transitions a bit better. I think with a few mods the Cobra catches up really quick though. I am not even talking about engine mods. (rear bushings and such)

The guy is a little crazy on where the shifter is. They are in teh same place on both cars. Oh well. Let him think it is farther way..

The clutch is about twice as heavey on teh Cobra. Oh well. If he likes the light clutch good for him..

Not trying to take anything away from the Cobra or the Mach, but each car is designed very differently and have different buyers.The Cobra will excel in some areas and the Mach will in others. We all know if we want the ultamate OT car you need to get a Z06.. :-D Had to throw that one in guys.. I do miss the Cobra. Just had to get something that fit my racing obsession a bit more.

Eric :beer:

Well...MM & FF did a drive test, a road course test, and a drag test with a GT (auto), a Mach 1 (stick) and a Cobra. By far, they all agreed the Mach 1 was a MUCH nicer car on the street. It just felt so light and fun to toss around. The clutch was much easier to use, the seats were comfortable, and the car was a ball to drive. I agree completely. The Mach 1 is a great, great car. Plus, that Shaker.....

Now, back to the mag tests. The Cobra handed the Mach 1 it's butt in both the road tests and the drag race. This was with very experienced drivers. The IRS in the Cobra shines on the road course and the Mach didn't have the power to overcome the weight penalty of the Cobra. On the drag strip...it wasn't very close. The Mach 1 does leave very hard when you hook it. It should. The gearing of the transmission is very conducive to that. Anyone in the world who has seriously drag raced knows the benefit of using the deepest gears you can get away with to et.

So there's the performance proof in the puddin'. I own a Cobra. But personally, I think the Mach 1 is a much nicer all around car. But run with the Cobra? C'mon guys... And by the way, I have NEVER seen a stock Mach 1 run in the 12's. NONE of the magazines have run one in the 12's. Even the ones used in the infamous Mach 1/GTO races couldn't get there. I hear a lot of smack where they say they have, but you never see the proof. The one's I've seen in the 12's have been modded with intake, exhaust, and gears. 3.73's or 4.10's alone will REALLY help those cars a lot!! And you can't tell it's been done....

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Well...MM & FF did a drive test, a road course test, and a drag test with a GT (auto), a Mach 1 (stick) and a Cobra. By far, they all agreed the Mach 1 was a MUCH nicer car on the street. It just felt so light and fun to toss around. The clutch was much easier to use, the seats were comfortable, and the car was a ball to drive. I agree completely. The Mach 1 is a great, great car. Plus, that Shaker.....

Now, back to the mag tests. The Cobra handed the Mach 1 it's butt in both the road tests and the drag race. This was with very experienced drivers. The IRS in the Cobra shines on the road course and the Mach didn't have the power to overcome the weight penalty of the Cobra. On the drag strip...it wasn't very close. The Mach 1 does leave very hard when you hook it. It should. The gearing of the transmission is very conducive to that. Anyone in the world who has seriously drag raced knows the benefit of using the deepest gears you can get away with to et.

So there's the performance proof in the puddin'. I own a Cobra. But personally, I think the Mach 1 is a much nicer all around car. But run with the Cobra? C'mon guys... And by the way, I have NEVER seen a stock Mach 1 run in the 12's. NONE of the magazines have run one in the 12's. Even the ones used in the infamous Mach 1/GTO races couldn't get there. I hear a lot of smack where they say they have, but you never see the proof. The one's I've seen in the 12's have been modded with intake, exhaust, and gears. 3.73's or 4.10's alone will REALLY help those cars a lot!! And you can't tell it's been done....

I will try and find the slip. I ran a 12.98. On my 5rd run of 10. The other runs were in the range of 13.0x-13.1x. I was pretty much on that night. This was close to a year ago and I threw out a bunch of my Cobra paperwork after I traded it is. I kept most of my time slipss for both cars in that box. I will check to see if they are in the new box of ever growing crap.

Eric

Tomcat427

I know I need a cage :)
Established Member
errray's 03 svt said:
why do they lie to themselves...

Thats funny from a guy who has:

"100% Stock w/ 460rwhp/477rwtq"

as his signature :lol:

Tomcat427

Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
For gosh sakes. They are two different cars - neither is better than the other, just different. One costs a bit more, one is a bit faster. One is styled a bit more aggressive than the other. One person prefers this, the other that. I'm over it.

FYI...the Mach feels faster from a dig because of gearing: 3.37 * 3.55 = 11.96 overall torque multiplication in 1st gear versus 2.66 * 3.55 = 9.44 overall torque multiplication in 1st gear.

:rockon:

Tomcat427

Established Member
coleman said:
I have a few friends with Mach1s and they run mid to low 12s all day long.
Albeit with ET Streets, but they are fine cars. I wanted one for a daily driver, but I knew I'd just end up wanting to mod it as well ... so I got an SVT focus :lol1:

gee Coleman, leave out your power added Mach 1 friends. :shrug:

Tomcat427

Established Member
WhiteTxMach said:
Wow.............................................wow is all I can say about this thread.

Some people just can't handle the fact that other people have different preferences. I'm just having fun with it. :thumbsup:

Tomcat427

Established Member
Grey03Cobra said:
Guys,

I didn't go back and read all this thread, so I hope I don't cover something that has already been covered.

These guys are not bashing the Cobra's. I surfed around the site a bit, and it is actually a pretty good site. They are just happy with thier cars, just like we are, that's all.

Mach1's are great cars, after-all, they are part of the Mustang family. :beer:

Glad to hear that. There are always a few in every group who can not give an opinion without bashing or degrading anything other than their car. But the Cobra has a lot of respect and a lot of Mach 1 owners that defend it on that site.

Tomcat427

Established Member
I liked the styling of the Mach 1 over the Cobra. I could have bought either car and at one point I was within $750 of buying a Sonic Blue Cobra. I was tired of waiting on the Mach 1. I wanted it to be as fast in the 1/4 as a stock Cobra, for the same or less amount of money, and I did that with exhaust, gears and tires. I took a lot of crap from several people here, but I also had a lot of support here as well. They are both great cars built for different people. I will always support my choice of buying as Mach 1, otherwise what kind of person would I be. I would expect you to do the same with the Cobra. It can be accomplished without bashing either car.

Peace :beer:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
We all make mistakes Tomcat :D
Some like slow cars like you and some like fast cars like me :D

Just busting buddy...you know I like both cars!

Tomcat427

Established Member
HotRodHarry said:
We all make mistakes Tomcat :D
Some like slow cars like you and some like fast cars like me :D

Just busting buddy...you know I like both cars!

Yeah, I hate how slow my car is. :-D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
socomnarc said:
This might be coming in a little late but Im new to the Mustang world and am in the current process of purchasing a Mustang. Being winter and all, I have 3 to 4 months of research to do. What I dont understand is the bashing among Mustang owners.
Are we not all on the same team?
What ever happened to the other domestic enemies? Not to mention those "few"
imports out there that pose a threat to the muscle community.
Here I thought I was going to purchase a 2003 Mach 1 and be accepted into the
brotherhood of Mustang owners. I've waited many many years to finally get this car and all that comes with it. To be a part of the "family".
To each their own tastes, but come on, they're all still MUSTANGS!!!!!!
Except them 6 cyl. things those are just "fords":)
In closing I hope I can ask upon the SVT community for help with my Mach 1 if needs be. Or any other mustang forum for that matter.
I like Cobras but the market value is too high for the mileage over the Mach 1
03 Mach 1s are cheaper than 01 cobras which have conciderable amont of less miles on them. 03 04 Cobras are mmmmmm yummy but too expencive compared to the Mach 1. So as far as 01 cobra to 03 Mach its gotta to be the Mach.
But I have no problem in being the 03 04 Cobras little brother.
You know what I mean.?
Thats just my opinion.
Nothin but love for the pony!

Mark
Mark, you make an excellent point. Maybe one reason is that there is no Camaro/Firebird in production so some of the focus as far as competition has fallen to our own camp so to speak. I am willing to bet that if the Camaro was still in production this very thread would be a comparison between the Camaro and Mustang rather than Mustang vs. Mustang. Like I said earlier, my experiences with Mustang GT and Mach 1 owners has been nothing less than wonderful.

The Mach 1 and Cobra are great muscle cars, each with their own personality. I'd honestly be very happy with either. Especially now that I am without my Cobra. LOL!

swens04cobra

Established Member
Why are we doing this??

What a waste of a discussion...Its like politics and with that these kind of discussions will only make enemys and never amount to anything. You'll never convince most people that what they have..ie..cobra, mach 1, Z06 or a Honda civic that their car is not as good or fast as somebody else's. We are just "spinning our wheels" and this discussion will NEVER end...not w/o blood! Let this thread die!

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
I PERSONALLY DROVE BOTH BE-4 I LAID DOWN THE GREEN ITS LIKE COMPARING APPLES TO ORANGES 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT CARS. DOES THE MACH FEEL STRONGER? i DON'T THINK SO BEING A DRAG RACER LONGER THAN MOST HAS HAD A LICENSE AND GOING FASTER THAN 99.9% OF THOSE OUT THERE.
I THINK THEY BOTH ARE BEAUTIFUL CARS AS IS THE BULLITS,SALEENS,ROUSH'S ETC,I WAS TORN BETWEEN THE 2 (I DO LIKE THAT SHAKER!!) BUT TO ME IT WAS A NO BRAINER BRUTE HORSEPOWER , RIDE QUALITY AND MOD FRIENDLY HP.
WOULD I BUY A MACH? YES, FOR MY WIFE WHO JUST LOVES THE LOOKS AND ONLY IF THEY'RE NO MORE COBRAS LEFT ON THIS EARTH
HAIL TO THE COBRA LONG LIVE THE KING OF THE STREET!!!

Tomcat427

Established Member
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra
MAC 2.5" Cat back
MAC Straight Shot w/ 95mm mass air
Predator w/custom tune
2.93 SFPH pulley
Pro 5.0 shifter
limo tint
"COBRA" windshield banner
cobra bumper inserts