Think Engine just threw a rod or something???

Harry08

Established Member
I've been told that gas loses it's octane value over time and that's where the potential issues could arise when getting into boost with old fuel.

BIGYUSM

Established Member
Brent is awesome , I'm 100% positive it wasn't tune issues. Just want to figure it out. They have always done me great. We will have a plan and maybe build it bigger. ;)

nxhappy

Established Member
any updates?

My bet is bad fuel, combined with cooler air and more boost.

BIGYUSM

Established Member
They are getting into it on Monday. We are all eager to see what happened, what needs to be fixed and what I am willing to spend :(

I cant stop thinking about going to mechanic school so I can learn more, I feel so dumb not knowing what happened.

Shelbysteve

Established Member
I feel your pain. I had a local very well known tuner/engine builder tune and install cat back, upper pulley and other little items on my 12 gt500. Last year after leaving the local hang out, it was cold out and I jumped on it in 2nd grear and popped a piston. Till this day, no way to know what caused it. . Towed it to brenspeed where they did the FRPP short block, lower pulley amd a few other things. Stock blower it makes a tad over 600 and the tune is awesome. Car runs and drives stock. Brenspeed did a great job.

One other thing, I forgot to post I also have 10% Underdrive pulley too

Harry08

Established Member
I wonder if an oil separator was on his engine? That could possibly account for blow by causing octane loss along with cold temps increasing boost and a 10% under drive pulley buzzing things up. The companies selling the separators claim potential problems if blow by is not controlled???

einehund

Established Member
i don't think you are understanding the oil seperator... without one, blow by is not controlled and can decrease octane (by a slight bit, not by much, unless you are having other problems). The seperator REMOVES oil particulate and prevents this octane loss.

Joewee500

Established Member
Maybe there's no update. He may be trying to get funds to do the rebuild or the shop hasn't been able to get to his car fast enough. My car has been down 3 months because the rebuild process depends on so many different people coming together.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Even an update of "its not been touched yet, still waiting for xyz", would be an update.

Users who are viewing this thread