Think Engine just threw a rod or something???

May93

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your Mustang! I can only imagine how you feel as I got sick to my stomach reading it. My 2007 has 61,000 miles and no major issues. However I have a list of parts on the bench for my winter project but every time I read a story like this I want to leave mine stock.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Were you in boost?

Doesn't sound like gas is the problem e10 or not. If this was the case then more booms like this would be happening often

oneslo5.0

Established Member
As far as "what to look for" it sounds like its going to be a hole in the block. Shine a light up till you find the oil leak. Best of luck, hope it's just a bottom end and the heads are fine. Mod motor heads tend to be pricey.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Most likely right above oil cooler you windowed the block...if heads are ok just pick up a short block and have a reputable engine builder look over your heads and assemble the new motor etc...best of luck.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I missed the year of the car? Also were you WOT? what was the temps? From what I understand 07-09 no knock sensors, so it's possible it was detonating and you couldn't hear it over the blower and boom. Correct me if I'm wrong on the knock sensors.

I know those of us whom have owned Lightnings since basically day one, have seen many Kabooms cold weather and WOT.

Last edited:

TVS VERT

Established Member
I missed the year of the car? Also were you WOT? what was the temps? From what I understand 07-09 no knock sensors, so it's possible it was detonating and you couldn't hear it over the blower and boom. Correct me if I'm wrong on the knock sensors.

I know those of us whom have owned Lightnings since basically day one, have seen many Kabooms cold weather and WOT.

Correct.......im thinking its a 07-09 as well......sorry to here OP...for the price you cant beat the FRPP Iron Shortblock they have held 25-26psi of pressure from a 4.0 whipple and have went over 150mph should be more than enough for your setup.....as stated best of luck.... if you cant perform the work yourself be on standby for a massive bill for the tear down and install, and engine assembly.

Joewee500

Established Member
You are correct about the knock sensors. The cold weather and KaBoom...I don't know. My car will be tuned in a different climate(colder) than I live. I guess we will see. On a side note, Black99, my buddy's freshly Vmp genII supercharged 08 Gt500 has a money race against a stock '14 ctsv coupe auto. 45-120. Whatcha think?

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
How long had you been driving the car before you WOT on the highway, in other words, was the car fully warmed up?

Just asking, not trying to impy anything.

BIGYUSM

Established Member
35 outside, I was driving for 25 min in traffic before I got on highway- about 10 miles of stop and go

Its an 07 - I can't do the work myself don't have the proper tools - I do have a full time mechanic at my friends company who will do it for me at his shop for cheap, but I don't really want to do that. I will talk to Brent - He has always been good to me on everything and I have spent a ton with him ( I think) so I am sure he will do me solid. He is 2 hours away so I will tow it there.

I wasn't into the throttle hard, but I did hear it go into boost then a pop - I love that car so much - 3 years ago the only thing I have bought myself for fun since I started my business 7 years ago! Im sure its fixable , just the cost I am not looking forward too. Hoping I can keep it around 5 or 6k - Don't know if that is possible lol

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Sorry to hear OP. Keep us updated on the cause of the failure. I remember back in the day during this time of year Corba guys would pop their engine from pegging their MAFS due to very cold air.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
So what I am gathering from this is do not go hot rodding around when the air is cold out. Does this mean at any time or just before the car has come up to temp? At what general temp range would you want to avoid it? I am in a temperate zone and would never take the car out unless it is above 50 outside.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Sorry to hear OP. Keep us updated on the cause of the failure. I remember back in the day during this time of year Corba guys would pop their engine from pegging their MAFS due to very cold air.
"Pegged" MAF. Highly unlikely and even if...nah... We don't even peg a 123mm on our Coyote drag car. 830 rwhp. 19 psi.

Cold air will get you more boost. More boost and same timing... Better have some octane headroom.

Bad fuel.
Fuel system failure.
Electrical system failure (reduced voltage =reduced flow)

Just a few thoughts.

Imatk

Established Member
That sucks man. I hope the heads are ok and I hope Brenspeed helps you out.

For the other technical guys here... would a tune for 91 octane have helped in this situation? In other words if he had been running a tune with less timing etc. would that allow for some buffer for bad fuel?

I know California 91 is crap gas... it's even crappier than 91 octane in other states so we have to get specific tunes just for this crap gas.

May93

Established Member
I didn't see where you mentioned it yet but how much boost were you running?

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Id figure out what it is either way. I couldn't wait months to figure it out. How would he punch a whole in an iron block?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I've got a VMP tune and live where it gets into the low teens at night. Should I be worried? Stock blower, 2.59", heat exchanger, on a 93 tune. Do they only tune for "Florida" weather? How do they know their tune works at these cold temps, living in Florida? Thanks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if the tune (mostly maf function stuff) is scaled correctly the car should have proper AF at any altitude and at any temperature (important note here that if your MAF is anywhere close to its upper limits a good cold night can put you over the edge, when you peg the MAF it defaults to another table and the typical result is it goes way lean and things get worse from there)

dirtychamba

Django
Established Member
sorry to hear.

worst case scenario, if its a hole in the block... what is he looking at cost wise minus in just parts, no labor?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I've got a VMP tune and live where it gets into the low teens at night. Should I be worried? Stock blower, 2.59", heat exchanger, on a 93 tune. Do they only tune for "Florida" weather? How do they know their tune works at these cold temps, living in Florida? Thanks
Awesome.

You're fine. We tune all over the world.

Users who are viewing this thread