Think my alternator just took a dump

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
So I drove the car today an it won't charge past 10v even when I rev it. Batt light is on at idle but goes away when I rev it to 1200. Sounds like a bad alt to me but just wanted to double check. Also how hard are they to replace? Anyone w/ a how to or write up. Not new to working on mustangs but this is my first cobra. Just wanted to see what I'm getting into.

bluestang41505

Established Member
I'm on my third, yes your alt is bad. I have a GT though but all you need is a wrench and a belt wrench. Slip the belt off, unbolt, bolt, belt, turn the car on and let it sit for a few before you turn it off. If you have a good battery like a yellow top you it will charge really fast.

lxhatch302

Established Member
i just replaced mine today....

best thing to do is unbolt the bracket that the lower alt bolt goes in to get it out...saves a lot of headache and time...

i also removed the battery/tray to get more access to the top 15mm bolt

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
ok alreay removed the batt and try and got the top bolt. I need to jack it up to get under it for the bottom. What do I need to get this belt off? There is a special belt wrench or what?

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
thanks guys, got the belt off, and alt unbloted just gotta got it out somehow. Bottom looks easiest.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
have fun with the rest of it. huge pain in the ass from here on out. it barely comes out of the car. sorry im not much help

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
have fun with the rest of it. huge pain in the ass from here on out. it barely comes out of the car. sorry im not much help

haha, yea it looks to be stuck in there rather well. Time to call PA performance for an upgrade. Sucks I now have to wait a few days for a replacement to get here.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member

+1, It takes allot of wiggling but it will come out. Advice try to get it as close as possible to the oil filter(more room). It will come out it was a huge pain when i did my buddys 04.

KILRSVT

Established Member
got mine out fronm the top...loosen the brake lines ny removing the 10mm and wiggle it out....it wont be nice....good luck. on my third one here as well

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
it got mine out thru the bottom...wasnt bad maybe 15 min. Tight squeeze but nevertheless...it's on the floor. Now just waiting on my replacement to get here.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I do not recommend a PA alternator. We've heard of too many issues with them here over the years. The only two alternators I recommend are the original Ford alternator (buy from Tousley Ford at a discount) or Jamie McClinton's Start 'N Charge. I give the Start 'N Charge the nod but Jamie's shop recently burned down so you'd have to check to see what the lead times are now.

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
I got a lifetime replacement alt at advanced today. I needed the car on the road so that was the quickest. It's in and working so hopefully it will last. I have an underdrive pulley on there as well so overspinning it shouldn't happen. I appreciate the help guys.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I got a lifetime replacement alt at advanced today. I needed the car on the road so that was the quickest. It's in and working so hopefully it will last. I have an underdrive pulley on there as well so overspinning it shouldn't happen. I appreciate the help guys.

Report back in a few days...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Hit and miss at best.

id order a ford OEM or Start n Charge one asap, and then when it gets there, stick the reman one on craigslist and recoup some of your loss. this way, you have 0 down time and dont lose much while you are waiting for a real alt to show.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member

Your crazy for buying an aftermarket alternator. IMO your gonna need that lifetime warranty. I dont know how many time i get to replace newly installed junk aftermarket alternators and starters. Besides a Ford reman comes with a 12/12 warranty anyways. Oh and an underdrive pulley is just gonna speed up damage to the bearings especially if you have a bigger crank pulley and a smaller s/c pulley. You really need a overdrive pulley. Order a reman from ford and get your money back.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is why these cheap rebuilts have a lifetime warranty. You'll likely need it for sure. I don't even recommend the Ford rebuilt. Either buy a new Ford alternator or a Start 'N Charge. JMO.

Silverboost

Established Member
good luck get a Statncharge alternator any time soon. Since Jamie's shop burned down he told me it would be this fall before he can start building them again. Also I heard that the ford reman's were all being built in Mexico now and they are junk as well. I would try to find a local alternator shop that will replace the parts with new american made parts.

Users who are viewing this thread