Thinking about a ZR1

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Only 1 rule if you get the ZR1. You can't come around here bragging about how much better your old ass ZR1 is compared to a Mustang. I think I can speak for everyone when I say we're sick of hearing about how much better and faster a dedicated 2-seater sports car is compared to an overweight, oversized 4-seater sports coupe that doesn't even compete in the Corvette's segment.

The ZR1 has leather-covered everything on the interior, but it's still a bit dated. Also keep in mind that it's old as hell, and if you have to replace one of those carbon fiber body panels, it might be hard and extra expensive to come by. What's the price on the ZR1 you're looking at? Why not get a C7 Z06, instead? Heck, as old as it is, I'd even consider a C7 GS over a C6 ZR1.

5e6b4c9c7a096d509f9f8fb3cd94558b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArabianOak

Established Member
When push comes to shove, are you confident that is the case?
At the bare minimum I'd say the entire drivetrain would be good.

I just had the car in for it's first warranty claim 2 days ago. My back left rear wheel bearing went out. No questions asked, even got me a free loaner.

Machdup1

Established Member
When I was in my Cobra, guys would talk to me at a light.

When I am in my Vette, chicks want to talk to me.

Take the ZR1 for a test drive on a twisty road. Just remember there is a vette tax for everything you want to change or replace.

BTW, is there a great LSx speed shop in your area?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol @ someone misconstruing a subjective statement and proceeding to make an ass out of himself for lack of proper reading comprehension.

Lololololol...

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I agree they aren't particularly exotic-like in terms of appearance but with that said I would definitely get one over your current Mustang.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Kind of in a similar situation. The zr1 is out of my price range, but I have been heavy looking at h/c/i c6z's. I just haven't found it in me to be able to part with the mustang yet. Too much heart and soul went into building it. But dang, c6z's and zr1's are some of my favorite cars on the road.

I vote zr1. I highly doubt you would EVER regret the decision.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I spoke with a crazy dude at a car show a year back or so. He is adamant that the ZR1 will go back up in value some day.

Ignoring the fact that he was batshit, I think he might be correct.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Am I going to be the only one to say pass? This is coming from a guy that has had 2 C6s including a modded C6Z. I'm not saying the Mustang is superior, as I'd sell that for something else regardless. I just can't get myself to pay $50k+ for a C6 + I've had my fun with them. There has to be better options for $50k+. I also do not care about being the fastest guy on the road. For $50K+ I'd want something nicer that you also do not see on a regular basis.

fitforspeed

Established Member
I’d say go drive a zr1 and see what you think. I’ve had my 03 Cobra since new and I love it. Modded it to my liking, kind of like you have done with your Stang. But I have also always liked the vettes. Been a few years back but I went and test drove a couple low mileage zr1’s. They were nice, in the 90k price range at that time. But I really wasn’t overly impressed. I kind of expected something more. At the end of the day getting back in my paid for 03 Cobra and driving off just seemed like a better fit for me.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I spoke with a crazy dude at a car show a year back or so. He is adamant that the ZR1 will go back up in value some day.
Maybe if you let the car sit in a garage all it's life and drive it like 300 miles a year. lol

OP,....the ZR1 is an awesome car, and I would definitely love to rock one, but I say stay with the Mustang. It's fast and has a warranty. Who knows what you'll be getting when buying a used car, especially from a private seller. Do you have the funds to pay for repairs or issues that may arise?
I look at it this way,...........I like to deal with the devil that I know than the devil that I don't know.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Users who are viewing this thread