Thinking about a ZR1

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Maybe if you let the car sit in a garage all it's life and drive it like 300 miles a year. lol

OP,....the ZR1 is an awesome car, and I would definitely love to rock one, but I say stay with the Mustang. It's fast and has a warranty. Who knows what you'll be getting when buying a used car, especially from a private seller. Do you have the funds to pay for repairs or issues that may arise?
I look at it this way,...........I like to deal with the devil that I know than the devil that I don't know.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Well yeah that's a given lol.

It would have to be an L88 or something to bring enormous money if they drove the shit out of it and put a ton of miles on it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
A ZR1 comes factory with a 2.3 TVS i believe. There is pretty much NOTHING to not like about a ZR1.

However

Don't you have like 5 kids OP? I have a tribe of them myself and they are reason i dont own a vette right now.

fitforspeed

Established Member
Yep zr1 comes with the 2.3 TVS, and the back seat and having kids is one big reason I decided to keep my Cobra.
A ZR1 comes factory with a 2.3 TVS i believe. There is pretty much NOTHING to not like about a ZR1.

However

Don't you have like 5 kids OP? I have a tribe of them myself and they are reason i dont own a vette right now.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... There is pretty much NOTHING to not like about a ZR1.

The steering wheel is pretty awful. And that's the most used man:machine interface on the car. Yeah, it's nitpicking, but I'd hate to keep looking down and seeing Chevy Cobalt parts in my supercar.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It wasn't an hour ago I showed the wife this, and she said "Quit having kids and you can buy one"

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/1966-big-block-corvette/6333012364.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! Lucky guy.. mine keeps dropping hints for another (kid).

Me: Da fuq!?!?!?!?

The steering wheel is pretty awful. And that's the most used man:machine interface on the car. Yeah, it's nitpicking, but I'd hate to keep looking down and seeing Chevy Cobalt parts in my supercar.

True statement!

Never_Enough

Established Member
So change it? Easy thing to do & dumb reason to not buy one.
Also, not a super car...a super car killer. ;;)

ArabianOak

Established Member

However

ha...yes I have 5 and 6 is on the way! lol. part of the reason I like the vette is that I can only fit ONE other person in it with me. Nothing pisses me off more than loading kids in the back of my stang and having them kick the hell out of my seats! Matter of fact I literally turn into a drill instructor when they do that. ha.

I'm putting the stang on consignment at my friends exotic car dealer tomorrow. The ball is rolling. My picks in the order I want them are below.

1. ZR1

2. 09 and up Viper

3. GT350

4. C7z

Personally i'm not a fan of the c7. I got to rent one last week in phoenix and even though the interior was much better than the c6 I just cant get myself into the looks of it. I think it's a really busy car with the styling...

08mojo

Established Member

:rolleyes: We get it, you don't like the C6 platform.

OP: I say go for the ZR1. Do yourself a favor and do some research. yes, the guides can be prone to excessive wear like the LS7; however, it does not seem be as widespread with the LS9. The beauty of the LS platform is that it is so simple: it takes less than 10 minutes to pull a valve cover. Spend another 10 minutes per cylinder and you can get some reassurance on the current state of your valve guides. If this is something you don't want to deal with, be honest with yourself and move onto another platform.

ArabianOak

Established Member
:rolleyes: We get it, you don't like the C6 platform.

OP: I say go for the ZR1. Do yourself a favor and do some research. yes, the guides can be prone to excessive wear like the LS7; however, it does not seem be as widespread with the LS9. The beauty of the LS platform is that it is so simple: it takes less than 10 minutes to pull a valve cover. Spend another 10 minutes per cylinder and you can get some reassurance on the current state of your valve guides. If this is something you don't want to deal with, be honest with yourself and move onto another platform.

I hear ya and my hesitation comes from my C6z blowing up! LOL. that was seriously a bad bad day for me. I wasn't even on the gas pedal when the engine just shut off and I was leaking coolant out of my intake. 20k later and I still never understood why it happened. How could a completely different engine (ZR1) have the same problems? Have any of the Zr1 engines gone boom?

08mojo

Established Member
I hear ya and my hesitation comes from my C6z blowing up! LOL. that was seriously a bad bad day for me. I wasn't even on the gas pedal when the engine just shut off and I was leaking coolant out of my intake. 20k later and I still never understood why it happened. How could a completely different engine (ZR1) have the same problems? Have any of the Zr1 engines gone boom?

The only one I recall of grenading the engine is 'whatcop' on the corvette forums, but his story is a bit different and he beats the living crap out of his ZR1, and by that I mean he enjoys the car to the fullest. I'm sure there are others, but his is the only one I remember coming apart. Read this thread though, and you'll see his car has a bit of a different story: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...ing-from-the-ashes-with-vengeance-racing.html

The story is this: there have been documented cases of low mile ZR1s with excessive valve guide wear, but unlike the LS7, the LS9 seems to stay in one piece. If you get a ZR1, plan to have the heads checked and rebuilt if needed. If you turn the wrenches yourself, it's a fairly inexpensive repair (less than $2k). If you pay someone else to wrench, double the cost.

MG0h3

Established Member
How could a completely different engine (ZR1) have the same problems? ?

We all know the 03/04 cobra can get loose valve seats and blow spark plugs out.

Bought an 02 Focus as a beater. Was reading on timing belt replacement intervals and found that engine has the same issue with the valve seats.

Rented a brand new O4 Ford Uhaul with the triton and blew a spark plug out going up the grapevine in CA.

So the ZR1 suffering from the guide problem doesn't surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blk02edge

Established Member
If there was ever a corvette I would actually buy its the c6zr1. My eyes glaze right past the c7z towards one

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
If there was ever a corvette I would actually buy its the c6zr1. My eyes glaze right past the c7z towards one

I love the C6Z's. Just something about them that I like over the style of the ZR1 for some reason.......Might be the side vents......not sure. But don't get me wrong, I love 'me' some ZR1...and ZL1's for that matter.

blk02edge

Established Member
I love the C6Z's. Just something about them that I like over the style of the ZR1 for some reason.......Might be the side vents......not sure. But don't get me wrong, I love 'me' some ZR1...and ZL1's for that matter.
I would not refuse a c6z either. few guys have gutted c6z's at our track and they are the 2nd most reliable track car next to the gt3 porsches and spec miatas lol

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Ha, I will say, it's hard to beat a Miata as a track car. I had friend that modded the crap out of one and used it on the twisties. It's hard to find something to have that much fun in that costs so little.

Users who are viewing this thread