Thinking about a ZR1

ArabianOak

Established Member
hey gang. Wanted to get everyone’s opinion on me possibly getting a zr1. I’m seeing several of them for sale in the mid 50 to mid 60k with virtually no miles.

My current setup is a 2016 TVS coyote. Making near 700rwhp. I’ve had the car over 2 years and it has 36000 trouble free miles on it. It’s been a great car. I love the interior. I have warranty until 100k too.

Here are the pros and cons I’m thinking.

Pros

-mustang is perfect right now. Great power and very reliable.

-warranty

-cheap maintenance

-faster than zr1?

Cons

-zr1 is almost an exotic compared to stang

-zr1 will outhandle the stang by a lot.

-zr1 is rare

Some of my other thoughts are the zr1 might be expensive to maintain (carbon ceramic brakes, magnaride etc) and I won’t have a warranty.

How reliable are they and what would you guys do in my shoes considering my setup?

Thanks!

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
None of the above. Don't beat around the bush go Lamborghini!

But seriously, money would be the deciding factor for me. Having a fun car sitting in the garage with more money in the bank account would be enough for me to stick with the Mustang. Especially if it's making that HP and under warranty.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
^ Agreed. Maybe wait for the next GT500. I would pass on the ZR1, but that's just me.

After sitting in several new c7z's, I cant see myself even considering the old c6. They are dated.

Its not only carbon rotors that are expensive, its the carbon pads too. For vipers they are over $400 per wheel.

CobraKid04

Established Member
I believe they have the excessive guide wear issue like the c6 zo6. Perhaps not as bad, but still a worry.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah man. Cash deal. I’m just on the fence about the sub par zr1 interior and was curious about reliability.

Then it is a done deal. Lets go get one!

ZR1 all the way.

Saw a black on black the other day, just about broke my neck. There was no confusing that with a regular vette. ZR1 looked exotic-like.

80-zr1_zr6x_8_924d4c37bb19a686aab707eb6fa1786cf0787b14.jpg

ArabianOak

Established Member
I believe they have the excessive guide wear issue like the c6 zo6. Perhaps not as bad, but still a worry.

Really??? I hope not or I would never do it. I was one of the unlucky ones with a c6z that blew up. Never again. I thought the zr1 didn’t have such issues????

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Your drivetrain warranty is null and void. I say this as a previous Ford Assistant Service Manager. If your dealership pushes it through and it's straight up broken due to power, they will get smoked by Ford. But whatever lol.

My opinion is keep the Mustang. You'll take a big hit on it and it sounds like it's a very nice car. You've pretty much financially committed to the car, so why stop now.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
This will be a struggle between your heart and your gut. The heart wants the ZR1, while the gut says keep the Stang. Which ever one has been more influential in your decisions in the past, will more than likely, determine this one too. Tough choice, good luck.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
ZR1. I don't see why the ZR1 would have the same issues as a Z06 as the motors are not the same. 6.2 vs 7.0.

And on your GT, you have coverage on your radio and power seats. The expensive stuff, engine, trans, rear diff null and void.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Really??? I hope not or I would never do it. I was one of the unlucky ones with a c6z that blew up. Never again. I thought the zr1 didn’t have such issues????

ZR1s are SOLID. Every car out there will have issues if you look hard enough. Coyotes, ZL1s, Shelbys, Hellcats, etc.

Like I said, if you can comfortably afford it, spoil yourself.... **** that gt. Lol

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Great problem to have! I agree on the warranty no way Ford would help if you have a drivetrain problem so I wouldn't let that influence your decision. But don't we go into this modding game knowing that the warranty is out the window?

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pretty much everything except engine from what my dealer says.
That's big! The engine is the heart and soul of your Mustang. And you've got a lot of money invested in it. So the 100K warranty being a Pro loses a lot of value. I'd go for the ZR1 in a heartbeat, but if you would modify the engine, then the warranty issue noted above really doesn't matter any more, since both engines would have questionable coverage.

The ZR1 is should a nice ride. As much fun as your Mustang is, the ZR1 would give me constant chills (in a good way). ;)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Only 1 rule if you get the ZR1. You can't come around here bragging about how much better your old ass ZR1 is compared to a Mustang. I think I can speak for everyone when I say we're sick of hearing about how much better and faster a dedicated 2-seater sports car is compared to an overweight, oversized 4-seater sports coupe that doesn't even compete in the Corvette's segment.

The ZR1 has leather-covered everything on the interior, but it's still a bit dated. Also keep in mind that it's old as hell, and if you have to replace one of those carbon fiber body panels, it might be hard and extra expensive to come by. What's the price on the ZR1 you're looking at? Why not get a C7 Z06, instead? Heck, as old as it is, I'd even consider a C7 GS over a C6 ZR1.

Users who are viewing this thread