This Bites

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
It gets worse not better. I had not paid much attention to the online crap around the car lately, but with it being the holidays and all...in addition to the last link I posted with a :kaboom: who decided that $200 was a fair price to pay for LOOKING at a car :rollseyes
I present this one.

Extreme hype

"THIS IS A VERY UNIQUE CAR WITH A VERY EXCITING HISTORY ALREADY!!! THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THIS GT500 WHILE IT WAS IN ROUTE TO THE ORIGINAL DEALER, AND IT WAS SENT BACK TO FORD. THE RESALE VALUE ON THIS CAR IS GOING TO BE OUT THE ROOF, WITH THE STORY BEHIND IT!!! PLEASE CALL FOR FULL DETAILS ON THIS CAR, AS THE FULL STORY IS VERY EXCITING!!! CLASSIC CARS WITH A STORY LIKE THIS ONE BREAK THE BANK FOR RESALE VALUE!!!!"

"WE HAVE ALREADY SOLD 19 SHELBY'S SO FAR... DONT MISS OUT ON THIS ONE!!

THAT'S RIGHT... 19!!!

ONE OF A KIND... HEAR THE STORY BEHIND THIS CAR!!!"

:xpl:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Who's the sucker!!

OMG that's some funny stuff right there!!! $100,000K (well, that is Canadian!) ;-) :poke:

The best part was the $200.00 viewing fee!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was the best laugh I had all day! Thanks, I needed that!! :thumbsup:

ROBSNAKE

Established Member
Ive called a lot more dalers today probably 25 to 30 and the best I got was10k over sticker on a tungsten coupe . Unbelievable. Im going out for a blast in the terminator in a bit. I have to laugh at some of the prices that people are asking and swearing that they r getting. 20 over 18 over etc. Could it be? are there that many of those people out there. Oh well mabye another day but definately not today

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
ROBSNAKE said:
Ive called a lot more dalers today probably 25 to 30 and the best I got was10k over sticker on a tungsten coupe . Unbelievable. Im going out for a blast in the terminator in a bit. I have to laugh at some of the prices that people are asking and swearing that they r getting. 20 over 18 over etc. Could it be? are there that many of those people out there. Oh well mabye another day but definately not today

i am just kind of curious, are you guys asking what they want for the cars or telling the dealers what you will pay?

would a msrp offer cash deal complete by months end change any the dealers mind? i have found this is a better way to talk to the dealers. it tells them that your serious and that they can make the thier money today. money talks, and more than a few dealers will take this deal.:idea:

chuckstang

Established Member
not many probably have 45k straight up cash ready to go.
I think they like financing anyway but I guess you could always go to the bank, get a loan and come back with their 45k cash. maybe you could elaborate on some hints as to what to say and not say when trying to buy a gt500 lol
:)

Cobra-O

Established Member
I just counted 39 GT500s on Autotrader at "any distance". Some are private owners looking to turn a buck, but most are dealers. Seems like there are more and more getting out there and not being bought. There are 6 within 200 miles of Houston.

I can't believe some of them have from 300-1000 miles on them. They can bite my ass if they think I am going to pay 10-20K over for a car that has been driven that much.

I'm giving it one year. After that, if I can't get one at MSRP or lower, I'll find something else.

bunk22

Established Member
My neighbor, 3 houses down just bought a dark grey convert GT500. He flew to Kentucky (I think it was that state) and drove it back. He searched around and found a good price on one. He said he paid a mark-up but I didn't ask how much. Finally got to take a look at one up close and what not. Really a nice car.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
chuckstang said:
not many probably have 45k straight up cash ready to go.
I think they like financing anyway but I guess you could always go to the bank, get a loan and come back with their 45k cash. maybe you could elaborate on some hints as to what to say and not say when trying to buy a gt500 lol
:)

Did not know you are from S. Shore, I grew up in Reading, MA! Now I live in Windham, NH. I recently called 5-6 dealers re: ordering an '08 GT500 at MSRP, and just about all hung up on me. One of the polite ones, in NH (who I recently bought a new F150 from) said that he already has a waiting list that exceeds his allocation, so he could not accomodate me. :shrug:
I'm not doubting you Chris Benvie, but it appears that I am dialing the wrong dealers.
Luckily for me, I don't feel the need to rush. As long as they are asking ADM. I can wait. Truth is, I was in a rush.....but thanks to one dealer in particular I got pretty pissed at the idea of buying one (didn't have a choice, they kicked me off of the #1 spot after promising me a MSRP deal for over a year). Then the ADMs hit and made me wait. Now, I am also waiting to see what's coming down the pike for new model Mustangs and competition. If they offered the Shelby GT Convertible with s/c I would have one on order already. I really want to buy another Ford (I've had around 30), but I also want to buy something I'll love at a price that I can look myself in the mirror the next morning and not see a sap. My 3 cents...

venams03

Established Member
Crispy. Well said and I'm right there with you. Have had many many FORDs and I'm not paying any juice. I'll give it about another year like another poster said and if I can't get one for MSRP or under at that point...Hasta FORD.

shakerb

Established Member
venams03 said:
Crispy. Well said and I'm right there with you. Have had many many FORDs and I'm not paying any juice. I'll give it about another year like another poster said and if I can't get one for MSRP or under at that point...Hasta FORD.

Same here. If I can't find one this time next year, I too will be looking for something else. I think it's reasonable to expect one at sticker then. That will be one and a half years after they began production.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Currently, the market looks like this.

As I do a dealer Locate in the New England/ New York Region, I find about 8 coupes in NE, and about 30 more in the NY area (includes PA and NJ).

This is a Number that is DOWN alot from about a month ago. Which tells me that either A. production is behind and shipment is taking longer, or B. these things are selling the fricken hot cakes.

To be honest, I think its a combination of both. Heres the thing, and how i look at it. I dont want 45k on my floorplan. I dont want the hassle of roping a car off, worrying about someone scratching it, or the temptation to beat the living bag out of it. MOST other smaller dealers feel the same.

Find a small dealer, in a small town and ask to order an 08 Mustang. Not a shelby. ;-)

Seriously guys, they are out there.

Heres some searching tips for 07. Hope you dont mind traveling.

1.) Use the FORD website.
2.) Use Google.
3.) Find a ZipCode from every state (maybe 2 or three from the bigger ones)
4.) Type in the Zipcode from googles searches, plug them into Fords Website.
5.) Find the GT500's and call dealers. Ask what they are asking, not how much over sticker they are asking.
6.) If the price is a agreeable, give them a credit card deposit right there. Have them fax over a Purchase and sales agreement, sign in, and fax it back.
7.) Go to orbitz.com book the next flight out
8.) Go to your Local BestBuy and buy a PassPort8500
9.) Get your GT500 and drive it home.

Now this may sound a bit tedious. But i know you want the car, do some legwork. Get your car.

Oh, or buy my lightning. :)

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
How do you locate the gt500's, not the dealers???
Is there a way to find dealers that have gt500s right now, and that way limiting the time one wastes calling dealers that have none or are getting no more. And is it true that every single Ford dealer in the country will receive at least 1 gt500 each year produced?
And one last thing, should one be concered with a possible purchase from a small Ford dealer that was never an SVT dealer or has the proper GT500 knowledge/tools? Just curious

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
If you do a fordvehicles search for a specific car, the dealer comes up, thats what i said.

No, not everyone will, although they are supposed to.

No, why? Not like you would take it there for service if you were to travel far away to get it. The dealer that PDI's (predeliveryinspection) the car wouldnt need those tools for that inspection.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
With the amount of interest in this car I cannot BELIEVE Ford is not doing something about these stupid dealers and their pricing.
It just makes me want to say "Ford sucks"

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
First of all Jspeed, Ford has NO say in what dealers charge for cars.

HOWEVER, can you blame the dealers? They are given a crap product for the most part and are looking to score big with a product thats not crap. Makes sense, its called capitalism and free market economy.

If you could make $10k over what your car retails for, you would too! And dont say you wouldnt.

The market determines what the car is worth. You should be saying "i cant believe all these idiots are paying $60k for a mustang, would you get real and stop paying it so the rest of us can afford it too!!"

That would make much more sense, dealers are only selling them for what people will pay.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MANUFACTURER!!

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Chris Benvie said:
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MANUFACTURER!!
I beg to differ... it was FORD that decided to unleash the hounds and allow any Tom, Dick, and Harry Ford Dealership to sell SVT products starting this year. If they would have left it like it was before - the SVT dealers would have been the only one's selling the GT500 and getting a similar allotments like in the past. When I purchased my first-run 03 Cobra - I was number 12 of 15 that the dealership was taking orders on (yes, MSRP in writing) 6 months before the cars hit production (right after oasis listed the cars and all options). I got my deal because the dealership was more interested in selling his entire allotment of first-run cars so he could get the same and/or larger allotments in the future - as well as the fact that selling more units - more then makes up for a few sales with huge ADMs.

But what we have today is every dealership only getting a few GT500s - and because they want to make as much as possible on the few they get - the ADMs are astronomical (IMHO) and self sustaining given the units produced thus far.

The change of allowing non-SVT dealers to sell the GT500s was Ford's decision - it WAS the manufacturer that instigated it. The ADMs are a direct cause-and-effect result. But that's not to say there would have been no ADMs, I'm just stating that they would have been far less then the $20K you see today, and in months past.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching about it - because I have already made piece with my decision to spend my money elsewhere. I simply disagree - Ford had everything to do with it. They are not so stupid as to not realize what would happen when they changed the rules.

As far as the dealers are concerned... you are correct - "its called capitalism and free market economy". However, to not think that ADMs won't alienate many of the core group of enthusiasts/repeat customers is a bit naive. That "fast buck" will come at a price. Making a fair profit, showing some integrity, honesty, and not placing too high a value on the all mighty $ isn't something that everyone lacks my friend. It may be rare these days, but it isn't impossible if you know where to find it ;-) . There are a few dealers are selling their GT500s at MSRP - and it's not because they are stupid, they just put more value in holding themselves to a higher standard.

Regardless - it's still an awesome car :rockon:
I may still get one - but only at or below MSRP

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
If there is such a demand that people are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars over retail, why can't Ford produce enough cars to sell the crap out of them the first year? Didn't they sell 500,000 mustangs in '65? And that was WAY more than was anticipated? Somehow though they built as many as the buyers wanted. Why can't they take advantage of the hype while it's fresh?

I don't know about other manufacturers, but Ford, seems to build this HUGE hype about a new product, then 3 years later when it's finally available, production is slow and they're hard to get. Why can't they step up production to build and sell 1/4 million cars while the hype is still there and the buyers are ready all in the first year?

What I'm getting at is, IMO Ford is responsible for the ADM's based on the lack of production at introduction.

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
Chris Benvie said:
Really? I watched 2 go for invoice. and 3 go for sticker in the past few weeks on the South Shore MA.

But once again last time i tried helping someone on here buy one, I got ****ed.

I know that wasn't me...

Users who are viewing this thread